I'm on a speaking tour about online identity & surveillance, stopping in London July 1-7

Da Sein

May 27, 2014, 1:45:06 PM5/27/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi London Hackspace,

I’m from San Francisco so let me know if you need this e-mail translated into British English.

This summer i'm hosting dozens of conversations about online identity and the future of data privacy. My first talk, hosted at a local hackspace in Oakland, CA named Sudo Room, went over really well, and I was offered sponsorship to give the talk around Europe.

My years of being in the tech industry as well as my experiences with mass protest movements have shown me that recent trends in internet technology have dire implications to our current and future ways of life, as well as the way we engage in revolutionary struggle. I'm trying to develop a community discourse and an ethos that addresses these trends.

I’ll be spending around 7 days in London (July 1st to 7th). I’d love to hold one of these talks at your space if that sounds reasonable. Here's an outline of my slides (though they might change) to give an idea of the content. Additionally, i’d love to check out your space, and see what kinds of cool projects you're up to. I'm really most interested in that anyway, so even if there's no space for me to hold this event i'd still like to come by. If anyone is responsible for event planning, i'd like to be put in touch with them. Alternatively, if anyone knows of any other spaces that might be interested in hosting this conversation, please let me know.

Abhay Agarwal

Bunsen

May 28, 2014, 4:06:56 PM5/28/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Hey, Abhay...

Sounds great to me. I assume there are others in LHS who would like to host it too...

We have a classroom with projector and big screen which would be a perfect space for such an event.
Our calendar is at https://london.hackspace.org.uk/events/?month=201407 and shows it's booked up Sat 5th and Monday 7th in the evening. Tuesday evenings are also a bad time for any focussed kind of event (unless you're cool with people dipping in and out).
But apart from those times, if it's not on the calendar, then we can put it on the calendar and make it official :)

Tuesday evenings are the best time to come down and be shown all the wonders that the Hackspace has to offer (TBH we can be a pretty antisocial bunch the rest of the week ;)

So I guess, if that's your first day in London, that'll be your introduction. Is there any particular time you'd like to do the talk? (Every time will clash with something in this town, so I guess any day is a good as another. The space is quieter (though still occupied) during most working hours, but it's so big that crowding won't be a problem.)

Bunsen

May 30, 2014, 8:30:48 AM5/30/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Abhay sent this link to the event description he did for Sudo Room: https://sudoroom.org/events/you-online-identity-privacy-and-the-future/

Bunsen

Jun 6, 2014, 10:50:02 AM6/6/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Giving the talk anytime 7-10 on a Tuesday would be a pretty bad idea, IMHO.
There are certainly a lot more people through here on Tuesdays, both members and non-members, but it the social night - not really a great time to have a talk, even one that you can dip in and out of - unless that's really your thing, like you want to experiment with the form of 'talk' or something...

However, I would recommend you come get a tour of the space on Tuesday evening. Being 'social' night, it's officially cool if you bother people while they're working on stuff :) , you meet people, you can plug the talk, etc. etc.

If you want a night which is more social than others, but without that being in a chaotic way, I'd suggest Friday (at 7.30?) or even Saturday (a bit earlier than than since less people work Saturday and definitely finishing for 8, since it's bad TV night:) .

I'd suggest send a mail to the list with the word 'proposal' contained in the subject.  As a member, I can put whichever date on the event calendar, which will confirm it, but it's always handy to gauge who wants to attend.

On June 4, Da Sein wrote:

I made a flyer for the event. What time on Tuesday did you think would be a good time to give the talk again? Should I just go ahead and post the event to the list, or should some confirm it or reserve the room, etc?

By the way, did you have any ideas for spaces in London for the less techy? I haven’t found any other spaces willing to host the talk yet!

Da Sein

Jun 15, 2014, 8:14:37 AM6/15/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

I've settled on a date for the event. It's Saturday, July 5th at 4PM. Tom, would it be possible to add that event to the calendar? The previous flyer is still valid. The description can be as follows:

The current landscape of online services all seem to have similar forms. Technologies all seem to be ‘going social’ or collecting ‘big data’, yet to most of us this is a veil that surrounds these ostensibly public and free offerings. In addition, the NSA & GCHQ have been caught red handed stealing and reading all our personal data.

This talk intends to elucidate some of the economic and philosophical underpinnings of current internet technology and asks the question: what does online identity truly mean? What does it mean to myself, to tech companies, to the state, and to the future of our society? NOTE: This discussion is intended for people of all technical skills/knowledge

Some of the topics discussed will be:

  • Ubiquitous surveillance, and what it means for a networked society
  • Gesalt Theory, and the possibility of privacy in data analytics
  • Notions of a hyper-connected future: theories and paradoxes
  • Prominent alternatives to the internet, and how they work.

And thanks for the suggestion of Le Squat Sportif! Hope to see some folks there.

Mark Steward

Jun 15, 2014, 5:06:29 PM6/15/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Added to the calendar.

Mark

Piers

Jun 18, 2014, 3:27:32 AM6/18/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Do I have to book a place to attend this talk?

Thanks.

geodasein

Jun 19, 2014, 5:20:36 AM6/19/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Piers,

No there’s no reservation or payment necessary. Thanks for the interest and hope to see you there.