Cremer Street Restoration (from infrastructure list)

Aaron Sokoloski

Apr 18, 2013, 7:48:22 PM4/18/13
to London Hackspace
Ok, guys, I need some specialized help for the Cremer street restoration:

1.  Can anyone provide chauffeur service, preferably with a van, on Saturday, preferably morning?  The plan is to bring a door and lots of tools to the new space so people can get started, then go to Jewsons and pick up all the building materials, which may include breeze blocks, cement, and aggregate (hence the van).  I will be at 447 quite early on Saturday to gather up tools, so it should all be ready to go.

2.  Can somebody with doorbot skills re-enable it at cremer?  I'll try to get together a list of members who want access -- all trustees obviously, and me and anyone who's volunteered in this thread.

3.  If you are planning to help out at all in the next two weeks, please add yourself on the wiki page so we can add you to doorbot: http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Hackspace_Move/Cremer_Restoration#Volunteer

4.  The wiki page also has detailed instructions on how to paint the door we need to re-install. I've patched and sanded it, so it's ready to be painted.  If anyone can help out with this tomorrow during the daytime that would be great.

The wiki page has a lot more detail now, as well.  I'll try to make it as complete as I can so we can print it out as a checklist.  I'm thinking we'll order some pizza for lunch, if the hackspace can fund it.

Please volunteer for this or next weekend!  Restoring the old space nicely will mean we get our entire 7000 pound deposit back, which is quite important!

i'm starting to regret this I mean thanks,
Aaron

tgreer

Apr 19, 2013, 6:32:49 AM4/19/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Van sorted

Aaron Sokoloski

Apr 22, 2013, 1:41:05 PM4/22/13
to London Hackspace
Cross-posting from infrastructure list...

PART 2:

Thanks to everyone who helped out!  We're about halfway done.  Some of the walls are looking great with new paint, and good progress has been made in all areas.

We still need help though!  If you can drop by during the week, great, but WAIT!  Please don't just show up--

First, ask on IRC or email Mark Steward, Jasper Wallace, or Jonty to put you on the doorbot list so you can get in.

Second, read, or ideally, take a printout of the wiki page  ( http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Hackspace_Move/Cremer_Restoration ) with you, because it has some nice checklists so you know what to do, as well as guides.  Please ask on this thread right away if you have any questions.

Finishing up the masonry is a big priority, because it is very hard work and time consuming and will likely take at least 3 evenings.  Read the wiki!!!  I've added everything I've learned about laying blocks there.  Don't rush it, just work carefully and only do a bit if you can.  Make sure to clean all the tools when done, so as not to slow down the next crew.  Also, it's worth planning to come with another person to help out, it's really at least a two person job, maybe 3.  Mentar is graciously organizing masonry work, so please get in touch with him.

And finally, when you are done, please take some pictures and/or email in this thread with what's been done.  I am unlikely to be able to get down there to get any more work done personally, unfortunately.  But I'll keep the wiki page updated.

Keep it up!  You're doing a great service to the hackspace.

Aaron

PS. the glass for window repairs is not here yet.  I'll get it there as soon as I can.

mentar

Apr 22, 2013, 5:22:46 PM4/22/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We are having a masonry work push tomorrow (Tuesday 23rd) to try and get
that out of the way and WE NEED VOLUNTEERS!

If you can be there please add yourself to the list and/or reply to thread
http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Hackspace_Move/Cremer_Restoration#Tuesday_23rd_volunteer_list

If anyone has masonry experience that would be a bonus.

We need at least 4 people throughout the day (min 2 per wall)

Cheers,
Mentar

Aaron Sokoloski

Apr 23, 2013, 4:17:39 AM4/23/13
to London Hackspace
Mentar, just to clarify, the blocks for the loo are not all cut to size.  When you get close to the ceiling, the bricks near the wall will need some more custom shaping, and you may need to cut them all shorter so they fit against the ceiling on the top row.

Cheers,
Aaron

Martin Dittus

Apr 23, 2013, 5:16:43 PM4/23/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Mentar just posted pics to document the current progress:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3l4nz6yn7l6q5l2/hd2WoXbKEv

Awesome.

However: neither he nor Aaron will be around for the rest of the week to coordinate the remainder of the brickwork.

Is anyone else available to coordinate this?
(Based on past experience it appears that masonry experience is not strictly needed, we can brief you well.)

m.

william...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2013, 4:53:02 AM4/24/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I can, I was there doing masonry yesterday. Will be there this afternoon to do more.

Aaron Sokoloski

Apr 24, 2013, 4:59:53 AM4/24/13
to London Hackspace
Looks great, guys!  Interesting noughts-and-crosses variant, too.

William, also, I just wanted to mention that Tom and I missed a spot with the mortar just above the pipe in this photo: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3l4nz6yn7l6q5l2/hd2WoXbKEv#f:IMG_20130423_212732.jpg  Would you mind applying a bit there when you get a chance?

Thanks,
Aaron

william...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2013, 5:02:52 AM4/24/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Sure

Martin Dittus

Apr 24, 2013, 5:19:50 AM4/24/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Aaron Sokoloski

Apr 24, 2013, 5:37:19 AM4/24/13
to London Hackspace
Oh, and guys, keep an eye on the number of blocks remaining.  Tgreer and I got about 6 more than we expected to need, but I think it may still be close.  We got the original ones from MP Building supplies, which is actually at the intersection of Cambridge Heath road and Old Bethnal Green Road, contrary to what google maps says.

Martin Dittus

Apr 24, 2013, 8:05:15 AM4/24/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

*Please* if you can spare a few hours *today* then come to Cremer St and help Will out. The sooner we can get the brickworks done the more time we have for the rest -- and we only have a few days left to get it all done!

Email him directly if you need a phone number.

(To remind you of the weight of the issue: £7000 deposit!)

m.

Aaron Sokoloski

Apr 24, 2013, 9:57:32 AM4/24/13
to London Hackspace
To Will, in case nobody shows up for a little while, or anyone else who is working alone -- rather than doing masonry, which is a pain to do by yourself, the red door currently hanging in the bio-loo can be taken down and given a coat of paint.

Aaron Sokoloski

Apr 24, 2013, 9:57:59 AM4/24/13
to London Hackspace
On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Aaron Sokoloski <asoko...@gmail.com> wrote:
To Will, in case nobody shows up for a little while, or anyone else who is working alone -- rather than doing masonry, which is a pain to do by yourself, the red door currently hanging in the bio-loo can be taken down and given a coat of paint.

And I forgot to mention, there's grey undercoat to be used first.

william...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2013, 10:05:38 AM4/24/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Simon klyne is here so we're doing the walls

Aaron Sokoloski

Apr 24, 2013, 3:39:23 PM4/24/13
to London Hackspace
Ok, guys, I stopped by today to drop off two pieces of glass, leaning against the left wall in unit 23.  They are likely to be quite sharp, as they are freshly cut.  I would recommend sanding the edges with fine sandpaper before trying to handle them with the plastic wrap off.  I've updated the wiki page with instructions how to install the exterior window, but for the decorative one, just copy one of the existing loos.

The new walls look great, and are *almost* done, but it seems like the sand has run out  My apologies for the poor planning.  I think that one more 25kg bag is likely enough, and could probably be carried in a backpack by someone riding a bike.  I someone has a car, then you may want to get two to be safe, but 5 bags were used to do about 85-90% of the job so far, so I think one more should do it.  I got it at MP Building supply, which is, to repeat, at the intersection of Cambridge Heath road and Old Bethnal Green Road, contrary to what google maps says.  Feel free to pick it up from somewhere else closer if you know of a place.

I've updated the wiki page with the work done today.  Don't be discouraged by the long list -- the masonry was a disproportionately big job, and it's almost done.  After the wall is closed up, the next big thing to focus on is finishing up the door frame (door stop & strike plate) in the bio/darkroom loo and getting the decorative window installed above it, as well as patching the hole in there.  There are also a few more screw holes to fill in some of the loo walls.

The remaining work (aside from the plumbing, which paddyd is taking care of) seems to all be able to be done in parallel, which is great!

Many thanks to everyone who helped out today!
Aaron

Simon

Apr 25, 2013, 4:52:37 AM4/25/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
i will be heading to cremer street soon.
I will take my bike trailer so that I can go and get a bag of sand if no one else gets that sorted.

I will make a start on some of the painting - walls in 24R haven't been started yet so that will be my first priority.
The woodwork hasn't been started and needs sanding first and I will make that m second priority

When there is someone else there who wants to complete the wall building (only 5 blocks let to place) then I will switch to that.

In looking around at the paintwork yesterday I think that 24 is more complete than 23.  If anyone wants to spend even just a couple of hours with a paint brush/roller then that will be very helpful

Simon

Simon

Apr 25, 2013, 7:07:35 PM4/25/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
tl;dr - £7000, are you interested?  yes?  then read on, no? then dr :-(

Update:

24:
walls and ceilings in  24L and 24R complete, only need their doors and woodwork painted black.
painted art from the windows needs scraping off in 24L and 24R

Walls around main door in 24 almost completed.  Need key for payphone so it can be removed and then that wall filled and painted - if we can't get the key to open it then we could just paint around it and leave it in 24 when we leave.

Kitchen light needs looking at - since the PIR switch was removed there doesn't seem to be a way to turn it off so someone needs to look at the wiring.

Kitchen sink still needs to be fitted into the worktop outside 24L - worktop also needs fixing and supporting properly.

24/23 adjoining wall:
old workshop entrance now bricked up - needs some dressing before painting but it can't be painted properly until saturday to allow time for the mortar to dry properly.

Hole between quiet room and Biohackers lab still needs to be fixed.

23:
Toilet wall in biohackers lab complete.
Door frame almost completely constructed - still needs painting and door hanging.  Glass above door is installed.
Toilet needs to be fixed, with cistern.  Sink also needs to be fixed.
Old kitchen drain (from 24) needs to be capped.
23 R needs walls painting and all woodwork painted

23L needs walls painting and woodwork painted.

Wall by rear exit in 23 needs painting.
Wall around sink at rear of 23 needs some paint
Sink also needs some serious work to clean old paint etc - maybe some heavy duty paintstripper will be required.

Walls in 23 could do with some more white emulsion in places - particularly close to the floor and around the water and electricity meters.

I think that we could do with a number of people to work on finishing the painting if we are to stand a chance of getting our £7000 deposit returned.
- doors and door frames need preparing for painting and then painted
- walls still need white emulsion in places
if we can get a good number of volunteers in the next 2/3 days then we should be able to complete all the painting and be with a chance of making the landlord happy enough....

Jasper Wallace

Apr 25, 2013, 7:28:42 PM4/25/13
On Thu, 25 Apr 2013, Simon wrote:

> tl;dr - £7000, are you interested?  yes?  then read on, no? then dr :-(
>

> Update:
>
> 24:
> walls and ceilings in  24L and 24R complete, only need their doors and woodwork painted black.
> painted art from the windows needs scraping off in 24L and 24R
>
> Walls around main door in 24 almost completed.  Need key for payphone so it can be removed and then that wall filled and painted - if we can't get the key to
> open it then we could just paint around it and leave it in 24 when we leave.
>
> Kitchen light needs looking at - since the PIR switch was removed there doesn't seem to be a way to turn it off so someone needs to look at the wiring.
>
> Kitchen sink still needs to be fitted into the worktop outside 24L - worktop also needs fixing and supporting properly.
>

> 24/23 adjoining wall:
> old workshop entrance now bricked up - needs some dressing before painting but it can't be painted properly until saturday to allow time for the mortar to
> dry properly.
>
> Hole between quiet room and Biohackers lab still needs to be fixed.
>

> 23:
> Toilet wall in biohackers lab complete.
> Door frame almost completely constructed - still needs painting and door hanging.  Glass above door is installed.
> Toilet needs to be fixed, with cistern.  Sink also needs to be fixed.
> Old kitchen drain (from 24) needs to be capped.
> 23 R needs walls painting and all woodwork painted
>
> 23L needs walls painting and woodwork painted.
>

> Wall by rear exit in 23 needs painting.
> Wall around sink at rear of 23 needs some paint
> Sink also needs some serious work to clean old paint etc - maybe some heavy duty paintstripper will be required.

Do we need to replace the small work surface next to the sink? it was
looking pretty nasty yesterday.

I'll get some heavy duty paint stripper and deal with it tommorow
(friday).
> --

[http://pointless.net/] [0x2ECA0975]

Billy

Apr 25, 2013, 9:22:37 PM4/25/13
to London Hackspace

One thing we don't make clear enough is that the membership fees are
not just money, but also the time we spend maintaining the facilities.

£7000 is one months rent or 3.5 new lasercutters, or 12 makerbots, or
3 new lathes, or XX {insert desired tool here}.

We've got 4 days before we have to give the keys back.

If you are a new member, then now is the time when you can directly
contribute to the hackspace in a simple and substantial way.

Please help.
> >http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Hackspace_Move/Cremer_Restor...
>
> > I've updated the wiki page with the work done today.  Don't be discouraged by the long list -- the masonry was a disproportionately big job, and
> > it's almost done.  After the wall is closed up, the next big thing to focus on is finishing up the door frame (door stop & strike plate) in the
> > bio/darkroom loo and getting the decorative window installed above it, as well as patching the hole in there.  There are also a few more screw
> > holes to fill in some of the loo walls.
>
> > The remaining work (aside from the plumbing, which paddyd is taking care of) seems to all be able to be done in parallel, which is great!
>
> > Many thanks to everyone who helped out today!
> > Aaron
>
> > --
> >

> --
> [http://pointless.net/]                                   [0x2ECA0975]

Ian Lewis

Apr 26, 2013, 3:20:35 AM4/26/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'll have some time on Sunday after about 11, but I'll need access somehow?

Can do painting/cleaning but not too shabby with woodwork and, although not certified, can do plumbing and electrics (not industrial!)

Is it worth getting the landlord back with a day to spare, in case we have a last minute panic to have to get stuff fixed....just to make sure we recover all the money??

Ian

Aaron Sokoloski

Apr 26, 2013, 3:47:03 AM4/26/13
to London Hackspace
On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 8:20 AM, Ian Lewis <iand...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'll have some time on Sunday after about 11, but I'll need access somehow?

Can do painting/cleaning but not too shabby with woodwork and, although not certified, can do plumbing and electrics (not industrial!)

Is it worth getting the landlord back with a day to spare, in case we have a last minute panic to have to get stuff fixed....just to make sure we recover all the money??

That's a very good idea, I think, if it can be arranged.  The hope is that all the remaining work can be finished by Sunday, I think.

hfs...@googlemail.com

Apr 26, 2013, 3:50:11 AM4/26/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
looks like its going to be miserable today, I've got the whole day spare so I'll help out if someone can tell me when its open

william...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2013, 4:06:23 AM4/26/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Great work Simon. Will come down either this evening or tomorrow.

On 26 April 2013 08:50, <hfs...@googlemail.com> wrote:
looks like its going to be miserable today, I've got the whole day spare so I'll help out if someone can tell me when its open

Simon

Apr 26, 2013, 4:45:35 AM4/26/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I aim to be there at about 10:30-11:00 ish but I have to leave by 15:00-15:30 for an appointment.  I won't be back after that today because of a photography gig in the evening.
Paddy should be there from about midday so there should be someone around with access from 11:00 for anyone who wants to pick up a paintbrush

andyf...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2013, 6:34:49 AM4/26/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

24/23 adjoining wall:
old workshop entrance now bricked up - needs some dressing before painting but it can't be painted properly until saturday to allow time for the mortar to dry properly.
Door frame almost completely constructed - still needs painting and door hanging.  Glass above door is installed.

 http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~andyfrommk/files/20130425_002.jpg
Door is primed on both sides and painted on one, door handles are on toilet window sill

Toilet needs to be fixed, with cistern.  Sink also needs to be fixed.

Toilet and cistern moved to old lab but I couldn't get the cap off the soil pipe so left it at that, rawplugs need drilling out of floor and then toilet bowl should be a straight fit.
Sink seems to have a broken mounting hole at the back and I still can't find the brackets that support the front,  (which is what I was trying to ask about on irc yesterday before the WiFi crapped out on me).
We may need a new sink if this one is unmountable.

I'd advise anyone to go no matter what your skill level, you will be surprised at what you can do.
Glazier and Bricklayer are now on my CV.

Andy

Metz

Apr 26, 2013, 8:20:34 AM4/26/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm a little unclear about this evening....will there be someone at Cremer? I can't do this weekend (Sat/Sun) but more than willing to come along after work this evening (around 6:30ish) to help out till whenever. Is there work to do tonight, and will a boss-man be present?

Martin Dittus

Apr 26, 2013, 8:35:51 AM4/26/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I think Henry said he can be there tonight. (Maybe he can respond once he reads this.)

m.

Aaron Sokoloski

Apr 26, 2013, 10:18:13 AM4/26/13
to London Hackspace
On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Metz <metz....@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm a little unclear about this evening....will there be someone at Cremer? I can't do this weekend (Sat/Sun) but more than willing to come along after work this evening (around 6:30ish) to help out till whenever. Is there work to do tonight, and will a boss-man be present?

Metz:  Yes, I think Henry will be there.  But do check out the wiki: http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Hackspace_Move/Cremer_Restoration  It may not be up to date as to what has been done, but the list of tasks on there should be reasonably accurate.

Also, if you contact ms7821 on IRC, he may be able to give you doorbot access.

Aaron

hfs...@googlemail.com

Apr 26, 2013, 11:12:15 AM4/26/13

On Friday, April 26, 2013 1:35:51 PM UTC+1, Martin Dittus wrote:
I think Henry said he can be there tonight. (Maybe he can respond once he reads this.)

Sorry, not there tonight

Aaron Sokoloski

Apr 26, 2013, 4:46:10 PM4/26/13
to London Hackspace
Sully has mentioned on IRC that the glass purchased to fill in the empty loo window doesn't seem to fit.  In case he doesn't see my answer there, or someone else wants to give it a go tomorrow: I think that both the glass and the window may be out of square.  It's my fault for assuming the window was square instead of checking.

I tried to fit the glass in when I dropped it off.  In one orientation, it was about 2mm too big on one end (and the other end fit with plenty of space), but when flipped horizontally, it was only a small fraction of a millimeter too big on one end, and the other end fit much closer.  So, my recommendations are:

Sand the glass (if this hasn't already been done to dull the sharp edges).
Make sure the window frame is completely clear of any dried glue or junk.
Try different orientations.  One orientation should either fit or be very close.

Unfortunately, the glazier I purchased the glass from is across london, near where I work, not near the hackspace.  There is a "Kingsland Glass And Glazing" next to "The Victory" pub on kingsland road, but I don't know if they're open this weekend.

If we can't get it to fit, then we'll need to pick up another piece.  Please let me know how it turns out.  Sorry for all the trouble.

Aaron