Restart Project Female Volunteer

Chanelle Joseph

Jan 4, 2016, 9:43:54 AM1/4/16
to London Hackspace
This is a request to any females accessing this mailing list.

I work for an organisation who will be joining the Hackney Fixers and Restarters London for a restart party. We are appealing for any females with experience of maintaining sewing machines that would be willing to volunteer with us between 11am - 1pm on Saturday 23rd January to show booked attendees how to maintain their sewing machines. If this is something you may be interested in taking part in please drop me an email.

Many thanks

Chanelle

Ian Henderson

Jan 4, 2016, 11:32:10 AM1/4/16
to London Hackspace
Why just females?

Toby Catlin

Jan 4, 2016, 11:41:03 AM1/4/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
That was my first thought too

On 4 January 2016 at 16:32, Ian Henderson <i...@advancedforensics.com> wrote:
Why just females?

Dan

Jan 4, 2016, 1:17:52 PM1/4/16
to London Hackspace
Seems kind of sexist and exclusionary to me... Does this represent the views of the Restart Project?

Nick Johnson

Jan 4, 2016, 1:54:57 PM1/4/16
On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 6:17 PM Dan <toxyntheco...@gmail.com> wrote:
Seems kind of sexist and exclusionary to me... Does this represent the views of the Restart Project?

Perhaps you should wait to hear why only female volunteers are wanted before drawing conclusions about what the motivation behind it is.

On Monday, January 4, 2016 at 2:43:54 PM UTC, Chanelle Joseph wrote:
This is a request to any females accessing this mailing list.

I work for an organisation who will be joining the Hackney Fixers and Restarters London for a restart party. We are appealing for any females with experience of maintaining sewing machines that would be willing to volunteer with us between 11am - 1pm on Saturday 23rd January to show booked attendees how to maintain their sewing machines. If this is something you may be interested in taking part in please drop me an email.

Many thanks

Chanelle

Nick Cripps

Jan 4, 2016, 1:56:13 PM1/4/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Presumably it is because they feel women are already excluded by most of their volunteers being men or something and so are trying to arrange for more female volunteers. An explanation from OP would be interesting since, at face value, it seems like a sexist request.

DSSlocksmiths

Jan 8, 2016, 6:18:17 AM1/8/16
to London Hackspace
Seems odd, since sewing machine maintenance and use isn't something exclusive to either sex, & that seems to be what they are asking for - someone to demo use and repair of sewing machines.

matthew aspinall

Jan 9, 2016, 7:29:51 AM1/9/16
to London Hackspace
I'd be interested in learning to use and maintain the sewing machine I've got. Are blokes allowed at your meetings?