Donation (if wanted) - LED Screen Tiles

mistamudd

Mar 26, 2017, 3:37:04 AM3/26/17
to London Hackspace
Hi folks.

Tom here - your occasional LED screen dumper !

Would folks be interested in any more tiles from LED screens ?  I have a few boxes of LED tiles to clear out that used to belong to a digiLED MC7 LED Screen.   They are the exact same type as recently donated to the Las Vegas Hackspace (Synshop) .  Please see https://groups.google.com/d/msg/synshop/ov_LCQSXeds/jCaFP1iGBAAJ for details.

Let me know if there's any interest or, as always , please do say  "we dont want any more of your old LED crap Tom :-) "

All the best

Tom

Michele Panegrossi

Mar 26, 2017, 4:16:24 AM3/26/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

I would love two of them! What kind of driver do they need?

Many thanks,
Michele

mistamudd

Mar 26, 2017, 4:27:17 AM3/26/17
to London Hackspace
Hi Michelle.   I'm guessing by 'driver' you mean how to get them lit up and displaying video again ?

Well, there's been a number of Pi and arduino projects in the US and UK with previous LED tiles Ive donated.... Have a search for 'Jumbotron' and lots will pop up.

Alternatively, if you're happy to buy off-the-shelf kit, you can purchase the controller cards (we call the scan cards) from the web here :   http://www.led-card.com/led-receiver-board.html

To quirt video into these cards you'll then need an LED sender card (think of it as a DVI capture card to convert to LED tile protocol)  :  http://www.led-card.com/led-sending-card.html

Originally these LED panels ran on the Linsn family of Sender and Scan but there's no reason you couldn't go for the more common NovaStar or similar instead.

All you'll need then to light them up is a hub card  (to distribute the power and data from the Scancard)   and some 5v DC power.

Its only a brief summary but I hope it helps.

Tom

John Jordan

Mar 26, 2017, 5:04:42 AM3/26/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi tom.

How many do you have?

I was thinking of making some LED cubes. These sound perfect!

Thanks

John

Henry Sands

Mar 26, 2017, 6:49:08 AM3/26/17
to London Hackspace
Can never say no to more LED screens! how many do you have available? I'd love to do a little wall feature.

Henry.

JJ

Mar 26, 2017, 9:52:33 AM3/26/17
to London Hackspace
Likewise. I'd like to make up a larger display if there are enough up for grabs.

Thanks,

JJ

Nigel Worsley

Mar 26, 2017, 10:30:10 AM3/26/17
to london-hack-space
> Would folks be interested in any more tiles from LED screens?

YES!

I have an application in mind for four tiles, a spare or two would be
nice, but even a pair of them would be useful. I am thinking about
knocking up a PCB to interface them to an ESP32, I suspect a few other
people would be interested in this too.

Nigle

Jasper Wallace

Mar 26, 2017, 11:35:27 AM3/26/17
to mistamudd, London Hackspace
I'd like a pair if possible (I'm assuming thats the 16x64 smaller things.)

Do you know if there are any better docs of pinouts etc?

This is in the google groups link you posted:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=forums&srcid=MTUyMzA2ODU4ODYxODQ1OTIyODEBMDA0MDI2NzYzMDQxNzczNDU1MzABRkw2ZU81MjJCQUFKATAuMQEBdjI

Ok, this looks good:

https://github.com/krux702/led_panel_wall

> All the best
>

> Tom
>
> --

[http://pointless.net/] [0x416333590FC0E569]

deanforbes

Mar 26, 2017, 6:39:41 PM3/26/17
to London Hackspace
count me in if there are any still going

3 by 3 panel would be great if not 2 by would also good

so optimistically 9 if not 4 would be great too

:-)

Michele Panegrossi

Mar 27, 2017, 6:36:29 AM3/27/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tom,

Yes that's what I meant! I remember that thread on the mailing list, I'm sure I'll be able to sort something out!

Many thanks,
Michele

Jon Russell

Mar 27, 2017, 6:43:48 AM3/27/17
to London Hackspace
Hi,

I would love a couple fi there's any left. I'm a bit late to the party ! :-)
either 1 or 2, or 4 !? :-)

Thanks !

Jon.

bleh blah

Mar 27, 2017, 10:12:10 AM3/27/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Would love some if poss?

Message has been deleted

mistamudd

Mar 27, 2017, 10:17:44 AM3/27/17
to London Hackspace
OK - Good to see there's still a gang of people up for some LED projects :-)

Lets talk numbers...

I don't want to swamp you guys but there are approximately 1500 of these tiles !  They are currently stored in 19 crates each of which is 112x58x73cm .

I've offered some of these to other hack spaces too but there's still heaps to go round.

I'm happy to run some of these up to Hackney in the boot of my car 1 crate at a time.   If people would like a few more though it might need a van.   (These are located at our office just outside Dorking in Surrey)  Very happy for people to request as few or as many as they like.  Just let me know.

All the best

Tom

ps - if you're curious whether you've seen these LED tiles before.... this is them in the background heart screen :   https://i.scdn.co/image/8d52d583a342e3d84f6525cc429111e58dc0ff06

Tom Mudd

Mar 27, 2017, 10:18:30 AM3/27/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Very happy to share around.

There's 1500 of them going begging :-)

Tom

On 27 March 2017 at 15:16, kraptv <skylab...@gmail.com> wrote:
Would love two for the Richmond Makerlabs if possible! Am also an LHS member and can pick up there.

John Jordan

Mar 27, 2017, 10:27:33 AM3/27/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Wow! If there are that many then i would really like maybe 2 creates.

Thinking an LED cube and a video wall for a AV idea i have been planning on for a while.

Thanks

John

Jon Russell

Mar 27, 2017, 11:11:38 AM3/27/17
to London Hackspace
I don't feel embarrassed or greedy asking for 4 now !!! :-)

Regards,

Jon.

Richard Patterson

Mar 27, 2017, 11:17:19 AM3/27/17
On 27 March 2017 at 15:18, Tom Mudd <mist...@gmail.com> wrote:
Very happy to share around.

There's 1500 of them going begging :-)

Awesome, I'd be keen for 2 please.
My allocation from the last lot got wombled before I could get to the Space to collect. :(

-Richard

Aden

Mar 27, 2017, 11:19:35 AM3/27/17
to london-hack-space
How many would it take to cover an entire room in them?

Nigel Worsley

Mar 27, 2017, 11:24:51 AM3/27/17
to london-hack-space
On 27 March 2017 at 16:19, Aden <ad...@aden.org.uk> wrote:
> How many would it take to cover an entire room in them?

All 1500 of them probably isn't quite enough for the quiet room. And a
10,000 amp 5V supply would be rather bulky and expensive...

Nigle

Matt Camp

Mar 27, 2017, 11:33:26 AM3/27/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'd love 16 of them (enough for a 1x1m display) for an art project if there are still plenty left... I'd need to pick up from somewhere in London though as I don't have a car.

Henry Sands

Mar 27, 2017, 11:34:24 AM3/27/17
to London Hackspace
If I could pinch 20, that would be amazing.

Kind regards,
Henry.

JJ

Mar 27, 2017, 3:37:59 PM3/27/17
to London Hackspace
How big and heavy is a crate? Work takes me within a few miles every other week so I could potentially collect and distribute for those west of London.

mistamudd

Mar 28, 2017, 8:46:52 AM3/28/17
to London Hackspace
I'm going to chuck a crate or two in my boot tonight and run them back into London.

I'll photograph them and get an approximate weight for you.

On that subject, how early do people arrive at the Hackspace ?   Wondering if I could do a drop-off at , say 8am tomorrow morning  ?

Could somebody let me know please ?

Also - sorry about that stupid signature image that's attached itself.... Not quite sure why or how it got into my posts.  Sorry !

Tom

Michele Panegrossi

Mar 28, 2017, 9:29:58 AM3/28/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Wow!

I don't want to sound greedy... But in this case i would love to get 20 of them if at all possible!... I've seen your email about being at the hackspace tomorrow morning at 8am.

I can be there if you need somebody to let you in. I'll pm you my number.

Many thanks,
Michele

mistamudd

Mar 28, 2017, 1:23:28 PM3/28/17
to London Hackspace
Here's what the boxes look like.

I managed to load 1 and a half boxes worth into the boot of my car  ( I'll drop these at the Hackspace tomorrow am)  (Thank you Michele for agreeing to meet me)

The wooden crates, weight wise are a reasonable 2 person lift. Pulling the tiles out 1 by 1 though is also pretty easy.

Just FYI

Tom
Boxes.JPG
2017-03-28 18.18.11.jpg

Jon Russell

Mar 28, 2017, 2:06:53 PM3/28/17
to London Hackspace
Is it going to be a free for all tomorrow morning, with people just grabbing arm fulls of screens :-) or is there any kind of system ?
:-)

Regards,

Jon.

Adrian Godwin

Mar 28, 2017, 2:09:30 PM3/28/17
to london-hack-space
Let them all go, then ask Tom to bring some more ?

Aden

Mar 28, 2017, 2:16:06 PM3/28/17
to london-hack-space
A free for all sounds like the best system, as last time everyone reserved them then left them around the space for months. Maybe people wanting large quantities should wait until the end or go pick them up themselves though. IE everyone only grab one or two to start with.

Tom Mudd

Mar 28, 2017, 4:58:57 PM3/28/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Please dont worry....

There's plenty to go around.

I live around the corner so can easily do boot-full by boot-full over the next few weeks.

Tom

Michele Panegrossi

Mar 29, 2017, 3:31:40 AM3/29/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

Tom just left and delivered a huge amount of tiles! Pic attached, they are all under the table in the main space.
He said there's plenty more if we want them.

I'm going to come back in an hour or so and take 20 of them.

Thanks,
Michele

IMG_20170329_082629.jpg

Michele Panegrossi

Mar 29, 2017, 3:51:46 AM3/29/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
By the way, a HUGE thanks to Tom!!!

😆😆😆😆😆

JLJ

Mar 29, 2017, 5:07:09 AM3/29/17
to London Hackspace
Awesome!

I have grabbed a couple to start lighting them up.

Thanks so much Tom.

John

Graham Perdeaux

Mar 29, 2017, 5:15:00 AM3/29/17
to London Hackspace
I have a project in mind for these - if there's that many I'd like 20 too please - I have no problem picking them up from Dorking if it suits you better.

Jamie Smith

Mar 29, 2017, 5:46:37 AM3/29/17
to London Hackspace
With folk taking 20 at a time i hope theres a couple left for me when i get there :D

Paddy Duncan

Mar 29, 2017, 6:02:20 AM3/29/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, pad...@padski.co.uk

A note from the Trustees:

Can we please be sensible and try not to leave them cluttering up the space forever.

Please remove them asap when collecting rather than just spread them about.

I know it’s a tall order but…

Ta

Paddy

tom

Mar 29, 2017, 6:12:27 AM3/29/17
to London Hackspace
If we run out you can always check my soon-to-be-opening eBay store

JLJ

Mar 29, 2017, 9:13:38 AM3/29/17
to London Hackspace
Does anyone have any more info on getting them up and running been do some research today.

The easy way would be to purchase all the cards etc but was wondering if anyone has found anything on hacking these. Using RPi or arduino?

Thanks

John

Toby Catlin

Mar 29, 2017, 9:22:42 AM3/29/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
This wiki page was build for the previous LED tile bonanza: https://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/LED_tiles

I had an amount of success running the code but the addressing system of those tiles was different to the Adafruit panels and so most of the existing code doesn't cut it.

I would be very interested in any more info on these new tiles.

Jon Russell

Mar 29, 2017, 10:05:24 AM3/29/17
to London Hackspace
From the brief look we had today;
(mixed with some wild speculation)

There are 16 x 64 RGB LEDs. (3072 individual LEDs)

There are 48 MBI5034 LED controller chips on the PCB, which are 16 bit shift register constant current sinks.
The controller chips are labelled R,G & B 1-16. So each chip does 16 LEDs of the same colour. They each have a current set resistor.
There are two address line inputs and the LED chips seem to be soldered in to banks of 4. Which makes sense.
There is an HC138 decoder on the address lines, and only the first four outputs seem to be wired. Again, matches the above.
There are also 8 dual FET chips, which seem to control the 4 banks.

The top connector is all Vcc
The bottom is all ground
The middle has :
D1 & D2 (not sure if these are two different data ins, or data in and data out)
OE (Output enable)
LAT (Latch)
A0 & A1
CLK (Clock)
NC

So, I'm guessing you need to send 3 (RGB) x 16 frames of 16 bits for each 4 addresses.

Set A0 & A1 to 0x00
Clock 3 x 16 frames of 16 bits
Set A0 & A1 to 0x01
Clock 3 x 16 frames of 16 bits
Set A0 & A1 to 0x10
Clock 3 x 16 frames of 16 bits
Set A0 & A1 to 0x11
Clock 3 x 16 frames of 16 bits

Rinse and repeat *many* times a second !

They seem to be constant current sinks. So, to do brighten you need to keep updating them, very, very, fast !!!

Not something an Arduino will do. Or even a RPi .. hence why all the controllers are FPGA.

If you want to just have single RGB colours, then an Arduino will light them. But if you want brightness control, it's too much data.

Wild speculation is the two data lines are both data in, so you might have to send two data streams at the same time, one drives the top half, the other drives the bottom half, which would halve the amount of data you need to send and double the refresh rate.

I'll try and jerry rig one tonight

Regards,

Jon.

JLJ

Mar 29, 2017, 10:32:35 AM3/29/17
to London Hackspace
Great info thanks,

Any idea on power usage? Just trying to get some idea of who many power supplies im going to need.

Thanks

Jon Russell

Mar 29, 2017, 10:38:55 AM3/29/17
to London Hackspace
Some fag packet maths ... Assuming you can only have 768 LEDs on at any one time (assumes there are 4 banks)
10mA per LED = 7.7A
15mA = 12A,
20mA = 15.5A ?

If you control the brightness, they wont be on all the time. So, a 10-15A power supply should be fine per panel.
A basic ATX PSU should do 20-30A @ 5v

Regards,

Jon.

Nigel Worsley

Mar 29, 2017, 10:39:51 AM3/29/17
to london-hack-space
On 29 March 2017 at 15:32, JLJ <chillicl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any idea on power usage? Just trying to get some idea of who many power
> supplies im going to need.

The minimum current per LED for the driver chips is specified as 3mA,
so at least 9.2A with all leds on.

Nigle

Stephen Casey

Mar 29, 2017, 10:54:49 AM3/29/17
to London Hackspace
So, one ATX or similar PSU per panel?! That's heavy! I'd love to mess about with these, but the reality is that I have neither the time, nor any worthwhile end use, to justify taking any.

Good luck to all of you who are working with these. I look forward to seeing the outcomes.

Cheers.

Stephen.

Robin Baumgarten

Mar 29, 2017, 10:58:40 AM3/29/17
to London Hackspace
Ooh! I'll take a few as well. Started experimenting with the Teensy already :)

If we get a few more of these crates, I'd happily take 24 or so (for a full cube). Unless there's not enough for everyone, of course.

Graham Perdeaux

Mar 29, 2017, 11:22:25 AM3/29/17
to London Hackspace, pad...@padski.co.uk
If they're in the way now and more coming, I could take some now and others who can't get in yet could take from the later stock, if it's more convenient?

tom

Mar 29, 2017, 12:14:24 PM3/29/17
to London Hackspace
We've made some progress with these, the pinouts seem to be as follows

A0 and A1 are definitely bank selectors, however the banks are arranged like in rows rather than blocks:

3
2
1
0
3
2
1
0
3
2
1
0
3
2
1
0

so a bank 0 spans 4 rows in total
D2 and D1 are data pins for the upper and lower halves of the display

other than drawing white lines on the screen i've yet to make any more progress :)

tom

Mar 29, 2017, 12:34:32 PM3/29/17
to London Hackspace
heres some test code that illustrates the wacky scan-pattern this uses

Robin Baumgarten

Mar 29, 2017, 1:50:54 PM3/29/17
to London Hackspace
Just to confirm, I've got Tom's code running on my Teensy 3.6 as well. The data pins can be driven directly with 3.3V. I'm powering the panel with a 5v 10a supply.

I'm writing some simple 3-bit display code now...

Robin Baumgarten

Mar 29, 2017, 8:21:00 PM3/29/17
to London Hackspace
Ok, I've written a simple program that displays a 3-bit picture (red green blue, but only on or off for each of those).

It's not optimized in any way, it could probably be made much faster by avoiding the digitalWrite functions and/or using some form of DMA.
On my (admittedly extremely fast) Teensy 3.6 i get 807 frames per second at 240mhz, which might be fast enough to get more colours rather than just the 9 or so you can get with 3 bits. At least the bright ones.

Jon Russell

Mar 29, 2017, 8:52:59 PM3/29/17
to London Hackspace

Henry Sands

Mar 30, 2017, 4:01:21 AM3/30/17
to London Hackspace
Looks awesome, what are you using to drive it?

Jon Russell

Mar 30, 2017, 6:49:18 AM3/30/17
to London Hackspace
Just an Arduino at the mo, and very slowly.

But I've worked out the colour mapping / bit stream to LEDs.

The panels are laid out a bit weird. They are designed to make the panel electronics cheap and easy and move all the mapping in to software. But that makes the software a bit more complex.

I'll try and write up the LED mappings in to the wiki.

Here's an example of a full colour screen, cycling between colours. Again, not as fast as it could be ...

Regards,

Jon.

Jon Russell

Mar 30, 2017, 6:51:19 AM3/30/17
to London Hackspace
Also, that was topping out my PSU at about 7A. So, the screen fully on (given the refresh rate for the four lines) pulls about 7 amps @ 5v.

Robin Baumgarten

Mar 30, 2017, 11:06:33 AM3/30/17
to London Hackspace
Tom and I have figured out the pattern mapping as well. And I've written a little mapping function in my arduino test file above, if that helps. Admittedly, documentation isn't perfect there.

Jon Russell

Mar 30, 2017, 11:15:26 AM3/30/17
to London Hackspace
I've started an update on the wiki ... feel free to add, update, delete as desired.

Regards,

Jon.

Giacomo Giacomo

Mar 30, 2017, 12:01:24 PM3/30/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Rob Kam

Mar 31, 2017, 9:55:39 AM3/31/17
to London Hackspace
If any are left, I'd like one please.

Nigel Worsley

Mar 31, 2017, 12:21:46 PM3/31/17
to london-hack-space
On 31 March 2017 at 14:55, 'Rob Kam' via London Hackspace
<london-h...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> If any are left, I'd like one please.

You can see them on the main room webcam, a big stack next to the Club
Mate. At least 50 of them by my reckoning, probably a fair bit more.
They might disappear quicker over the weekend though.

Nigle

Rob Kam

Apr 1, 2017, 7:20:52 AM4/1/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, got some :-)

Edward

Apr 1, 2017, 8:42:10 AM4/1/17
to London Hackspace
Hi tom,

I'll take two crates if possible.

Thanks ever so much,

Ed

Oliver Passey

Apr 2, 2017, 7:15:39 PM4/2/17
to London Hackspace
Many Thanks, grabbed a few to see how i can use them
Will be back for more if i manage to drive them easily.

Thanks!

mistamudd

Apr 3, 2017, 3:40:48 AM4/3/17
to London Hackspace
Hi Jon et al.

I've been asked for info on the LED Scancards (receiving cards)  available from http://www.led-card.com/

Here's what I can help with.

On the website you'll find cards from companies called Linsn, DBstar, NovaStar etc.  The one's I'd recommend are from Nova Star (although the others should still work).

The control software from Nova (Nova Mars) is by far the most friendly and widely used LED panel control software.  This can be downloaded here :  https://www.dropbox.com/s/17r9j3b2ycbif82/NovaLCT-Mars%20V4.4.1%20Setup.exe?dl=0

But, there's a hitch - If you buy an LED screen from us we will give you a pre-made config file called an rcfg file.   This is the file that configures the Scancard to work with a given design of LED tile.

Sadly, because this isn't a standard digiLED product I cant share a ready made file with you.  Instead, you need to create the file yourself.

This is done from the Receiving Card Tab of the Screen Configuration menu.  Look for a menu called "Smart Settings"

Smart settings will walk you through a wizard where you click-in the multiplex/ scan info , the RGB order info and the pixel map info of the LED tile, all guided by lit up sections of the LED tile and click responses in Mars.   The end result of this process is a newly created rcfg file that will configure your Scancard of choice to you LED tile of choice.  Bingo !  Job done  (nearly)

So - which cards ?

I'd recommend you start with this one http://www.led-card.com/novastar-mrv336-led-display-receptor.html  because it's cheap and can do lots and lots of LED tiles on one card.

You are also going to need one of these http://www.led-card.com/novastar-msd300-led-display-decoder.html  to act as your DVI to LED converter card.

With this little bundle of kit you literally have enough to map a 64 x 16  pixel slice of your computer desktop straight onto the LED tiles at full video quality and frame-rate.  Add more LED tiles = bigger pixel space.  Copy Paste Repeat and you could take this all the way to 4k width or height although a screen with these pixels at 4k size would be mahussive !!!

Hope that's useful to folks.

All the best

Tom

Tom Mudd

Apr 3, 2017, 5:39:58 AM4/3/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ed.

I've been called away to  a job in Cambridge this week.  Is it possible for you to collect next week ?

BTW, two crates will completely fill the back of a large estate car... Do you have transport big enough ?

Let me know.

Cheers

Tom

JLJ

Rob Kam

Apr 3, 2017, 6:53:41 AM4/3/17
to London Hackspace
There are no obvious fastening holes so how to mount the panels and what if using more than one to keep the edges butted against each other? How sensible would it be to remove them from the plastic enclosure to fasten instead against e.g. plywood or mdf?

Rob

JLJ

Apr 3, 2017, 6:59:41 AM4/3/17
to London Hackspace
Hi Rob, they have alot of holes all the way through that you can attach them to things with.

John

Oliver Passey

Apr 3, 2017, 7:43:20 AM4/3/17
to London Hackspace
This is a huge help! Thanks Tom!
The last bit that is puzzling me is the physical connection from the reciever card to the various panels...
Is there a cable that easily connects these or do i need to build cabling into a mount to host multiple tiles?

Im thinking i have two use cases im interested in - 1. being one panel on a PC small as possible setup - 2. a config of say 8 tiles high by 4 wide, running video output.
Would like to purchase some hardware that would let me do both with a bit of re-config.

Going to head along to the electronics group tonight if anyone working on this is going to be about - would be nice to say hi!

Andy Focallocal

Arthur Guy

Apr 3, 2017, 12:38:21 PM4/3/17
to London Hackspace

Hi Tom,

There is some interest from a couple of members at the Brighton makerspace, would I be able to stop by and collect some (ideally a crate!) this week?

Thanks,
Arthur

Tom Mudd

Apr 3, 2017, 12:54:55 PM4/3/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arthur.

Sure thing.  Happy to spread the LED love.

Im afraid it would have to be next week though, I've been sent to a job in Cambridge all this week.

Would Tuesday afternoon be good ?  (not confirmed but trying to work things out for Tuesday week)

Tom

Arthur Guy

Shaun Meehan

Apr 3, 2017, 5:11:20 PM4/3/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom

I have just picked up 4 tiles and am looking forward to playing with them.

Thank you

Andy at Focallocal

Apr 4, 2017, 11:30:09 AM4/4/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
i'd be happy to. what time are you thinking on Tuesday  afternoon and whats the location Tom?

Andy
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to london-hack-sp...@googlegroups.com.

There's beauty all around you, remember to take a little break and enjoy it today

Andy at Focallocal :O)
focallocal.org

Giacomo Giacomo

Apr 6, 2017, 11:33:39 AM4/6/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Will you be dropping off more at the space when you're back in the London Tom?  Sadly I missed out on grabbing a few by last Tuesday.  Thank you!

--
There's beauty all around you, remember to take a little break and enjoy it today

Andy at Focallocal :O)
focallocal.org

Andy Focallocal

Jon Russell

Apr 8, 2017, 9:14:11 PM4/8/17
to London Hackspace

I got four panels (64x64 LEDs) working as one, from a single Arduino Micro tonight, at about 200+ HZ frame rate. 3 bit colour.
Two ATX power supplies (5v @ 32 Amps total. 8 Amps per panel)
8 lines of text, with a standard 7x5 font.

I just need to build a frame to mount them now.

Thanks Tom ! :-)

Liam Lynch

Apr 9, 2017, 5:36:14 AM4/9/17
to London Hackspace

On Sunday, 9 April 2017 02:14:11 UTC+1, Jon Russell wrote:

I got four panels (64x64 LEDs) working as one, from a single Arduino Micro tonight, at about 200+ HZ frame rate. 3 bit colour.
Two ATX power supplies (5v @ 32 Amps total. 8 Amps per panel)
8 lines of text, with a standard 7x5 font.

I just need to build a frame to mount them now.

Thanks Tom ! :-)

Very nice john,

Don't suppose you can share the sketch?

Liam

Rob Kam

Apr 9, 2017, 6:33:59 AM4/9/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Well done!

Toby Catlin

Apr 9, 2017, 6:38:06 AM4/9/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
That is awesome well done!
Would love to get that code pls.

Tom Lynch

Apr 9, 2017, 7:20:36 AM4/9/17
to London Hackspace
I'd really like to pickup 4.

Tom Lynch

Apr 9, 2017, 7:21:22 AM4/9/17
to London Hackspace
I'd really like to pickup 4.

Are there any left at Hackspace?

Jon Russell

Apr 9, 2017, 7:07:17 PM4/9/17
to London Hackspace
I'll add some comments and explanation and stick it up on GitHub this week.

Regards

Jon.

Shaun Meehan

Apr 9, 2017, 7:12:29 PM4/9/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Look forward to seeing the code and well done. It looks good ;)

Toby Catlin

Apr 10, 2017, 4:16:17 AM4/10/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jon,
Would you mind sending us what you have today? We have our Hackspace meeting tonight and a few of us were planning on getting some tiles running and figuring out the addressing in code. Seeing as you have already done this it save us time and brain cells.

thanks
toby

Jon Russell

Robin Baumgarten

Apr 10, 2017, 9:59:57 AM4/10/17
to London Hackspace
I don't see any left near the fridge where they used to be. Unless someone moved the remaining panels, they seem to be all gone!

Toby Catlin

Apr 10, 2017, 10:25:31 AM4/10/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Jon, thanks a lot for that. It will give us something specific to work on tonight.

Marrold

Apr 10, 2017, 1:56:26 PM4/10/17
to London Hackspace
Awesome work

Thanks for sharing

mistamudd

Apr 10, 2017, 2:25:24 PM4/10/17
to London Hackspace
Sorry folks.

I've had a bit of a glitch in my work calendar which means I'll not be down in Dorking / Crawley for a week or two now.

 I'll have to ask you all to be patient re more tiles until I can get back there in person.

Please bear with us caller - Hopefully I'll be able to update after Easter.

Tom

Liam Lynch

Apr 11, 2017, 10:52:16 AM4/11/17
to London Hackspace
Just a quick note to say I manged to get the test code from Robin and Jon running on a Particle core, driving just one panel.

Liam

Toby Catlin

Apr 11, 2017, 11:28:45 AM4/11/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Did you use the frame buffer, ports and interrupt?

We got the most very basic sketch running and spent quite a bit of time going through Jons code. I think we mostly understand what is going on but did want to write a simpler sketch that drives one panel without the more complex performance optimisations.

Could we look at your code too?

thanks
toby

On 11 April 2017 at 15:52, Liam Lynch <dickhe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just a quick note to say I manged to get the test code from Robin and Jon running on a Particle core, driving just one panel.

Liam

Liam Lynch

Apr 11, 2017, 3:48:29 PM4/11/17
to London Hackspace, to...@korfball.com
Hi Toby,

I shamlessly copied Robins code and only changed the pin assignments as follows:-

#define PIN_CLK   0
#define PIN_ADD0  1
#define PIN_ADD1  2
#define PIN_OE    3
#define PIN_LAT   4
#define PIN_D1  5
#define PIN_D2  6

I hate posting code as it makes for a huge massage, but looking back through this thread is driving me nuts:-

// Simple 3bit color test for Hackspace LED Panel
// written by Robin Baumgarten

// draw 1 white pixel on screen that moves from first to last spot, measuring fps along the way.
// Tested on Teensy 3.6. (I get 788 fps at 240mhz!)

// with the panel the correct way up (you can read "digiled" on the black plastic) these are the pins:
// see also: https://github.com/krux702/led_panel_wall/blob/master/photos/pinout.jpg

// all 8 top pins VCC (5v). Careful: You might need to connect at least two pins, since the halfs of the board use separate vccs

// D1 LAT A1 NC
// D2 OE  A0 CLK
//https://build.particle.io/build/58e2a88d76a35fc9f200092b#verify
// all 8 bottom pins GND.
// NC = not connected

// populate with your own arduino pins!
#define PIN_CLK   0
#define PIN_ADD0  1
#define PIN_ADD1  2
#define PIN_OE    3
#define PIN_LAT   4
#define PIN_D1  5
#define PIN_D2  6

// pixel storage
bool r[1024];
bool g[1024];
bool b[1024];

int fpsCounter = 0;
long fpsMillisStart = 0;

void initPixels()
{
    for(int i =0; i < 1024; i++)
    {
        r[i] = 0; //(i % 5) == 0;
        g[i] = 0; //(i % 6) == 0;
        b[i] = 0; //(i % 7) == 0;
    }
}

void setup() {

  pinMode (PIN_CLK, OUTPUT);
  pinMode (PIN_ADD0, OUTPUT);
  pinMode (PIN_ADD1, OUTPUT);
  pinMode (PIN_OE, OUTPUT);
  pinMode (PIN_LAT, OUTPUT);
  pinMode (PIN_D1, OUTPUT);
  pinMode (PIN_D2, OUTPUT);

  delay(10);
  digitalWrite(PIN_OE, LOW);

  initPixels();

  // A0 & A1 control bank to push vals to.
  // 3
  // 2
  // 1
  // 0
  // etc
  // each bank consists of 128 leds
  // d1 is data for bottom half of display
  // d2 is data for top half

  // shifting data:
  // each bank is further split into chunks
  // 0 pixel is bottom right, proceeds to left until hitting 8
  // row then changes to row+4 and continues from column 0
  // colour then changes to next in cycle
  // data is BBBBBBBB BBBBBBBB GGGGGGGG GGGGGGGG RRRRRRRR RRRRRRRR
  //         | row 0 | row 4  | row 0  | row 4  | row 0  | row 4
}

// set a pixel to a certain 3-bit color on the screen. x: 0 - 63, y: 0 - 16
void setPixel(int x, int y, bool cr, bool cg, bool cb)
{
    r[y * 64 + x] = cr;
    g[y * 64 + x] = cg;
    b[y * 64 + x] = cb;
}

bool getBit(int ledIndex, int bank)
{
    // is this the higher row?
    bool isRow4 = (ledIndex / 8) % 2 == 1;

    bool isBlue = (ledIndex % 48) / 16 == 0;
    bool isGreen = (ledIndex % 48) / 16 == 1;
    //bool isRed = (ledIndex % 48) / 16 == 2;

    int x = (ledIndex / 48) * 8 + (ledIndex % 8);

    if (isBlue)
    {
        return b[((isRow4 ? 4 : 0) + bank) * 64 + x];
    }
    else if (isGreen)
    {
        return g[((isRow4 ? 4 : 0) + bank) * 64 + x];
    }
    else //if (isRed)
    {
        return r[((isRow4 ? 4 : 0) + bank) * 64 + x];
    }
}

bool a0Order[] = {true, false, true, false};
bool a1Order[] = {true, false, false, true};

void drawPixels()
{
    for (int bank = 0; bank < 4; bank++)
    {
        // enable correct bank
        digitalWrite(PIN_ADD0, a0Order[bank]);
          digitalWrite(PIN_ADD1, a1Order[bank]);

          //set latch low to send data
          digitalWrite(PIN_LAT, LOW);

        for (int i = 0; i < 384; i++)
        {  // led index
            digitalWrite(PIN_D1, getBit(i, bank));     // write to bottom half
            digitalWrite(PIN_D2, getBit(i, bank + 8)); // write to top half

            // toggle clock
            digitalWrite(PIN_CLK, LOW);
            digitalWrite(PIN_CLK, HIGH);
        }

        digitalWrite(PIN_LAT, HIGH);
    }
}

int c = 1;
void loop()
{
    // set one of the pixels to white
    setPixel(c % 64, c / 64, true, true, true);
    drawPixels();

    // clear pixel
    setPixel(c % 64, c / 64, false, false, false);

    c++;
    if (c > 1023) c = 0;

    // print out fps
    fpsCounter++;
    if (millis() - fpsMillisStart > 1000)
    {
        fpsMillisStart = millis();
        Serial.print("FPS: ");
        Serial.println(fpsCounter);
        fpsCounter = 0;
    }
}

Toby Catlin

Apr 11, 2017, 5:13:56 PM4/11/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot. I'll have a good read through.
Pastebin is always good for keeping the thread clean: https://pastebin.com/X581G32d

Cass M

Apr 20, 2017, 8:33:41 AM4/20/17
to London Hackspace, to...@korfball.com
So, on Tom's suggestion, I picked up and MSD300 and a MRV336. They seem to be connecting up fine and spitting out data, but the MRV336 has separate channels for R, G, and B, and seems to be putting them out in parallel, whereas the tiles obviously want them serialised. Has anybody else picked up one of the cards, and if so have you had the same issue? There are two extra bits of row selection on the card output, so presumably each output can be used over four separate panels.

The obvious solution to this, if there isn't a stock hardware layer which I've failed to account for, is to put in an MCU which serialises the data and passes it on. However, I am worried about not keeping up and the panels glitching (I'm trying to make a light sculpture out of them). The alternative is obviously an FPGA implementation, but I'd ideally not like to detour through learning HDL programming.

Is there something obvious, or less obvious, I've missed?

-C

Cass M

Apr 20, 2017, 9:10:00 AM4/20/17
to London Hackspace
So, Toby pointed me at this bit of info from Tom, which I had skim read, and which may well hold the key.

"But, there's a hitch - If you buy an LED screen from us we will give you a pre-made config file called an rcfg file.   This is the file that configures the Scancard to work with a given design of LED tile.

Sadly, because this isn't a standard digiLED product I cant share a ready made file with you.  Instead, you need to create the file yourself.

This is done from the Receiving Card Tab of the Screen Configuration menu.  Look for a menu called "Smart Settings"

Smart settings will walk you through a wizard where you click-in the multiplex/ scan info , the RGB order info and the pixel map info of the LED tile, all guided by lit up sections of the LED tile and click responses in Mars.   The end result of this process is a newly created rcfg file that will configure your Scancard of choice to you LED tile of choice."

If I manage to get a working config working, I shall post it back here.

-C

Oliver Passey

Apr 20, 2017, 9:22:55 AM4/20/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Are you planning on working on any of this in the space? I'd be really interested to see how you connected up those cards to the tiles.
Completely newbie to this stuff

Cass M

Apr 20, 2017, 10:56:23 AM4/20/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm working on it at home at the moment, but I'd be happy to come and do a quick howto session once I've got them up and running, if you'd be interested.

-C

Oliver Passey

Apr 20, 2017, 11:26:11 AM4/20/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
i'd be very interested! shout when you are at a point you'd be happy to share.
currently trying to decide buying some off the shelf hardware vs hacking an arduino / teensy together.
Cheers, Oli

Cass M

Apr 20, 2017, 11:38:21 AM4/20/17
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I think it depends how many you're trying to drive, and what frame rate/colour depth you need. Tom was kind enough to let me take away a fair number of them, and the thing I'm making needs to be pixar-perfect, so I've decided to go with the commodity hardware. If you're just hacking about with them, I suspect you're going to learn more and have more fun driving them manually from a raspi/arduino.

--
It is loading more messages.