Short hacker/makerspace workshop survey

Peter Turpin

Feb 13, 2018, 10:57:01 AM2/13/18
to London Hackspace
We're running a short survey on what people expect from hacker and maker-style workshops, to see if our assumptions on how to set one up are generally correct. We've had some very useful responses so far, but would always like more to make trends more apparent.

https://goo.gl/forms/M8kBj5cK4Ox90rgl1

The anonymised conclusions will be posted once it's done with.

Mark Steward

Feb 13, 2018, 10:57:24 AM2/13/18
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Who's "we"?

Mark

Peter Turpin

Feb 13, 2018, 1:04:35 PM2/13/18
to London Hackspace
Me and my friend Andy.

On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 15:57:24 UTC, Mark Steward wrote:
Who's "we"?

Mark
On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 3:24 PM, 'Peter Turpin' via London Hackspace <london-h...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
We're running a short survey on what people expect from hacker and maker-style workshops, to see if our assumptions on how to set one up are generally correct. We've had some very useful responses so far, but would always like more to make trends more apparent.

https://goo.gl/forms/M8kBj5cK4Ox90rgl1

The anonymised conclusions will be posted once it's done with.

Billy

Feb 13, 2018, 1:45:28 PM2/13/18
to London Hackspace

I understand where they're coming from.

While the Hackspace is great for getting good idea's and advice about how to make things, and it is great for prototyping designs, it is not really set up for performing production runs, as this will cut into the space that is available for other members to use.

It's why most members start projects at the hackspace, but move on to set up other workshops elsewhere.

If Peter and Andy are willing to share the results of their surveys with us, then by all means chip in. :D

Adrian Godwin

Feb 13, 2018, 3:42:50 PM2/13/18
to london-hack-space
What do you mean by 'Workshop' ?

A general purpose place to use tools

A session set up as  training course with hands-on use of some relevant equipment

Peter Turpin

Feb 13, 2018, 4:42:51 PM2/13/18
to London Hackspace
The answer to your question is entirely dependant on what you yourself expect from self-defined hacker/maker-style workshops.

Peter Turpin

Feb 18, 2018, 8:30:36 AM2/18/18
to London Hackspace
Thankyou very much for the responses so far. The survey is now at 92 replies.
If you haven't responded already, getting it to an even 100 responses would make the statistical breakdown much much easier.

Peter Turpin

Feb 18, 2018, 12:15:09 PM2/18/18
to London Hackspace
Thankyou very much for your contributions! The survey has now reached 100 respondents, so I've closed it for new submissions.

I'll hope to have a breakdown of results worked out in a few days and will link them on each forum the survey was posted in.

Peter Turpin

Mar 1, 2018, 8:10:27 PM3/1/18
to London Hackspace
The survey results and my analysis have now been posted on the hackerspaces.org wiki, as it seemed an appropriate location.

In future I will leave the survey creation to someone more skilled at it, as my inexperience with setting up the forms left the results quite messy, and cleanup has likely introduced some errors when tallying the free text entry portions.

However it has proven very enlightening. Some answers were more or less as anticipated, while others were very surprising. Overall, it is useful information. Next year I hope it can be refined further.

https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/2018_survey_of_expectations