Interesting…

James Aylett

Jan 25, 2009, 6:20:14 PM1/25/09
to London Hack Space
I've started this discussion with a number of people this year. How
far have you guys got in terms of availability/costing/funding/sizing?

Jonty Wareing

Jan 25, 2009, 6:21:20 PM1/25/09
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
So far, not very. We're just hoping to start a public discussion right now to
gauge interest in the london hacker scene.

--jonty

Jonty Wareing

Jan 25, 2009, 6:25:00 PM1/25/09
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We just started an IRC channel on freenode:
#london-hack-space

Come join us.
--jonty

James Aylett

Jan 25, 2009, 6:26:05 PM1/25/09
On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:21:20PM +0000, Jonty Wareing wrote:

> So far, not very. We're just hoping to start a public discussion
> right now to gauge interest in the london hacker scene.

Cool. Can I suggest that once you've got the temperature of a few
people, people get together face to face? Ideally somewhere with beer :)

(Most of my discussions have been around a slightly different shape,
more like pre-incubation for companies than strict hacking space. But
I think they will fit together quite nicely.)

James Aylett

talktorex.co.uk - xapian.org - uncertaintydivision.org

Russ Garrett

Jan 25, 2009, 6:28:31 PM1/25/09
to London Hack Space
I've run the numbers - London is quite an expensive place to operate
in, and we need to drum up enough interest to have a hope of
succeeding. So this is step 1.

As far as I'm concerned the next step is getting a name - something
for people to muster around. Then we can try and work out where and
who we get money from.

Russ

Russ Garrett

Jan 25, 2009, 6:30:12 PM1/25/09
to London Hack Space
On Jan 25, 11:26 pm, James Aylett <ja...@tartarus.org> wrote:
> Cool. Can I suggest that once you've got the temperature of a few
> people, people get together face to face? Ideally somewhere with beer :)
>
> (Most of my discussions have been around a slightly different shape,
> more like pre-incubation for companies than strict hacking space. But
> I think they will fit together quite

My thoughts exactly. We were considering an initial meetup/pissup
sometime next week (beginning 2nd feb).

Russ

Iain Campbell

Jan 25, 2009, 6:34:28 PM1/25/09
2009/1/25 Russ Garrett <ru...@garrett.co.uk>:

> My thoughts exactly. We were considering an initial meetup/pissup
> sometime next week (beginning 2nd feb).

That sounds good to me. I'll leave it to someone else to suggest the
exact day though :)

Iain

--
www.kandaba.com

web | iptv | mobile
development & consultancy

t: +44 (0) 203 051 7792
m: +44 (0) 7815 821 678
gtalk: ia...@kandaba.com

Jonty Wareing

Jan 25, 2009, 6:39:05 PM1/25/09
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
How about Wednesday at 8pm?

--jonty

Iain Campbell

Jan 25, 2009, 6:41:19 PM1/25/09
2009/1/25 Jonty Wareing <jo...@jonty.co.uk>:

> How about Wednesday at 8pm?

Yep, I'm up for that.

I.

Jonty Wareing

Jan 25, 2009, 6:44:47 PM1/25/09
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Cancel that, it turns out me and russ are busy that night.

How about Thursday the 5th Feb, same time?

--jonty

> Cancel that, it turns out me and russ are busy that night.
>
> How about Thursday the 5th Feb, same time?

+1 for that.

I.

James Aylett

Jan 25, 2009, 7:05:44 PM1/25/09
On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:44:47PM +0000, Jonty Wareing wrote:

> Cancel that, it turns out me and russ are busy that night.
> How about Thursday the 5th Feb, same time?

I may be in Watford. Assuming I'm not, I'm in.

James Aylett

Jan 25, 2009, 7:07:10 PM1/25/09
On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:25:00PM +0000, Jonty Wareing wrote:

> We just started an IRC channel on freenode:
> #london-hack-space

Arg! Two different spaces for discussion. No--three, because there's a
wiki. I strongly recommend that *one* space is authoritative. And that
it not be IRC, unless someone can be bothered to set up a bot-to-web
mirror thingy.

(I've been in processes before where everything was slowed down by the
same conversation appearing like some crazed round-robin on IRC, then
on the wiki, then on the mailing list.)

Jonty Wareing

Jan 25, 2009, 7:08:40 PM1/25/09
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Let it be said that the mailing list is the final word.

IRC is just for chit-chat, and the wiki for notes etc.

--jonty

James Aylett

Jan 25, 2009, 7:10:23 PM1/25/09
On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 12:08:40AM +0000, Jonty Wareing wrote:

> Let it be said that the mailing list is the final word.
> IRC is just for chit-chat, and the wiki for notes etc.

Awesome, thanks :-)

Adam McGreggor

Jan 25, 2009, 7:52:09 PM1/25/09
On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 12:10:23AM +0000, James Aylett wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 12:08:40AM +0000, Jonty Wareing wrote:
>
> > Let it be said that the mailing list is the final word.
> > IRC is just for chit-chat, and the wiki for notes etc.

commit IRC logs to $webspace?

--
``Sir Humphrey: The ship of state, Bernard, is the only ship
that leaks from the top.

Adam McGreggor

Jan 25, 2009, 7:55:15 PM1/25/09
On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 12:07:10AM +0000, James Aylett wrote:
> Arg! Two different spaces for discussion. No--three, because there's a
> wiki. I strongly recommend that *one* space is authoritative. And that
> it not be IRC, unless someone can be bothered to set up a bot-to-web
> mirror thingy.

On top of those, can I suggest a facebook group, and events and shit
being created by the group, so they end up in my calendar?

--
``There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make
it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies and the other is to

yaxu

Jan 27, 2009, 5:23:43 PM1/27/09
to London Hack Space

I don't think anyone mentioned deck space in London yet, which has a
long history back to clink street:
http://dek.spc.org/

Access space in Sheffield is a really nice free media space too:
http://access-space.org/?c=overview

C-base in Berlin is another fantastic place run by an alarmingly
quirky clique:
http://www.c-base.org/

Paul Graham's re-casting of hackers in his own image (along with some
of the posts to this list) makes me worry that a 'hackerspace' in
London might be too attractive to Internet startups looking for cool
hotdesks though...

alex

designswarm

Jan 28, 2009, 7:40:47 AM1/28/09
to London Hack Space
Any consensus on meeting up?

Julian Burgess

Jan 28, 2009, 8:12:53 AM1/28/09
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I loved the bak.spc.org stuff at Clink St. It's a great domain, I'd be
in favour of hooking up with this lot.

Steven Gravell

Jan 28, 2009, 8:16:57 AM1/28/09
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
What, you mean like 001337 ?

2009/1/28 designswarm <a.so...@gmail.com>

--
steve - http://mokele.co.uk/

James Aylett

Jan 28, 2009, 8:28:34 AM1/28/09
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 01:16:57PM +0000, Steven Gravell wrote:

> What, you mean like 001337 ?

Uncertain quite what you meant (what are the zeroes doing?), I Googled
this and discovered that it's the NASA GRIN id for President Lyndon
Johnson meeting astronauts after the Gemini IV mission.

I suspect this isn't what you mean :)

Steven Gravell

Jan 28, 2009, 8:31:13 AM1/28/09
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I think it just wasn't at all funny ;p  007 1337 - 00(133)7 - 007 is british.... I'll get my coat.

James Aylett

Jan 28, 2009, 8:32:11 AM1/28/09
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 01:31:13PM +0000, Steven Gravell wrote:

> I think it just wasn't at all funny ;p 007 1337 - 00(133)7 - 007 is
> british.... I'll get my coat.

Ah, now I get it -- think the brackets were needed or something :-)