Finances / Next open day

Russ Garrett

Jun 10, 2013, 5:17:55 PM6/10/13
to London Hack Space
Just thought I'd send a quick update on the finances.

The good news is that looks like we'll just have enough cash in the
bank to make our £20k+ quarterly rent bill next month, although the
exact amount of the service charge we'll be paying is yet unknown.

The bad news is that we're still operating at a £1900/month loss -
that's equivalent to £2.40 per member per month or 155 new members at
the current average payment.

THE COST OF HACKING:
http://londonhackspace.github.io/propaganda/posters/cost-of-hacking/

This is actually pretty much in line with our predictions which
foretold several months of loss before we pull out of this nosedive
into a surplus. But! The quicker we do this, the more awesome things
we can do with the space.

So: while we're making a loss, we should be running open days every 3
months. The last one was May 12th - I propose the next one should be
Sunday August 18th. Any objections?

(Small print: I'm defining our operating loss as our budgeted monthly
expenses against our actual subscription income - this is IMO the best
way of looking at the space's overall survivability but is somewhat
pessimistic compared to our actual cashflow.)

Cheers,

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

tenyen

Jul 6, 2013, 6:41:17 AM7/6/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Heya,

On Monday, June 10, 2013 10:17:55 PM UTC+1, Russ Garrett wrote:.
The bad news is that we're still operating at a £1900/month loss -
that's equivalent to £2.40 per member per month or 155 new members at
the current average payment.

THE COST OF HACKING:
http://londonhackspace.github.io/propaganda/posters/cost-of-hacking/

So: while we're making a loss, we should be running open days every 3
months. The last one was May 12th - I propose the next one should be
Sunday August 18th. Any objections?

I'm guessing there were no objections as its in the google calendar?
I've taken a small leap in the dark and created:
with sub pages and linked it to the wiki front page.

The last open day was important to me as I'd been "hibernating" and
the list drama seemed to eclipse the (most excellent) reality of the
space.

I'd also like to invite:
objections?

RL FTW,

Ximin Luo

Jul 6, 2013, 7:51:58 AM7/6/13
On 10/06/13 22:17, Russ Garrett wrote:
> Just thought I'd send a quick update on the finances.
>
> The good news is that looks like we'll just have enough cash in the
> bank to make our £20k+ quarterly rent bill next month, although the
> exact amount of the service charge we'll be paying is yet unknown.
>
> The bad news is that we're still operating at a £1900/month loss -
> that's equivalent to £2.40 per member per month or 155 new members at
> the current average payment.
>
> THE COST OF HACKING:
> http://londonhackspace.github.io/propaganda/posters/cost-of-hacking/

Still shows old figures, did you need to re-build gh-pages or something?

--
GPG: 4096R/5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0

signature.asc

Russ Garrett

Jul 7, 2013, 8:27:53 AM7/7/13
to London Hack Space
I've sorted it out and made it dynamically updated:

https://london.hackspace.org.uk/cost-of-hacking/

Russ
--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Ximin Luo

Jul 8, 2013, 6:16:56 AM7/8/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Russ Garrett
How are subscriptions updated?

- in May it was £8240
- a few days ago: £8261
- at the time of writing: £7994

It's a bit worrying it hasn't increased by much in 2 months. And the monthly
loss is ~£3000 rather than the ~£2000 in your earlier email. Am I missing
something or mis-reading that page?

signature.asc

Russ Garrett

Jul 8, 2013, 6:26:35 AM7/8/13
to Ximin Luo, London Hack Space
Yeah I just spotted there's a bug here - that number is for the
(rolling) last month, but because of bank holidays and other quirks of
the civil calendar this is not accurate. I need to change it so that
it's for the last full calendar month.

That said, you're kind of right - recently growth hasn't been great.
The actual numbers are:

01/2013 £6,753.00
02/2013 £7,043.43
03/2013 £7,143.25
04/2013 £8,091.77
05/2013 £8,221.26
06/2013 £7,915.00

It has dropped recently but it did grow by 13% in May. Other points:

* The trend is still upwards so I'm not hugely concerned at the
moment, and we are working on increasing our non-subscription income.
* Some of the expenses on the cost-of-hacking poster are still
somewhat speculative, and some are likely to be an over-estimate.
--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk