Chapter 2: Boolean Arithmetic

Chris Lowis

Nov 9, 2014, 5:09:47 PM11/9/14
to Computation Club mailing list
Hi!

I wasn’t at the first meeting of our nand2tetris book club, but it sounds from talking to a few of you that it was a fun and productive evening.

I wanted to propose that for the next meeting (which, following our 3-week rhythm would be on the 25th November) we move on to Chapter 2. It seems that there’s a lot of additional things we could explore around chapter 1, but the book is also designed so that we can take the abstractions created in chapter 1 as a given, and use them to build towards an Arithmetric Logical Unit. Perhaps we can spend a short amount of time at the start of the next meeting reviewing chapter 1 and any follow-up “homework” you did?

How does that sound?

The chapter can be downloaded here, if you don’t have a hard/electronic copy of the book:

http://www.nand2tetris.org/course.php

Tom/Joel - do you have the necessary lanyrd-y foo to construct the meeting page?

Cheers!

Chris

Joel Chippindale

Nov 10, 2014, 12:50:49 PM11/10/14
to Chris Lowis, Computation Club mailing list
My apologies for the delay but I've put the Lanyrd page up now http://lanyrd.com/2014/london-computation-club-nand2tetris-meeting-2/

Please add yourself as attending on the Lanyrd page so we have an idea of how many people are coming

J.

Chris

Paul Mucur

Nov 23, 2014, 3:48:12 PM11/23/14
to Joel Chippindale, Chris Lowis, Computation Club mailing list
Hi all,

Annoyingly I won't be able to make this Tuesday as I am off to see Anaïs Mitchell play a gig at Union Chapel instead (booked in darker, pre-Computation Club days) but I've tackled the chapter 2 assignment and pushed my solutions to GitHub: https://github.com/mudge/nand2tetris

Thanks to James Mead for https://twitter.com/floehopper/status/536505728002195456 as I was tripping over the HDL syntax regarding buses to wire things up correctly.

Be very interested to hear how far you get and would be particularly intrigued to hear your thoughts on two's complement as a way of dealing with signed numbers. There's potentially a detour there exploring how and why that system works.

Ben Ridgway

Nov 25, 2014, 7:21:57 AM11/25/14
to london-comp...@googlegroups.com, jo...@joelchippindale.com, chris...@gmail.com
Sadly I won't be able to make this evening either, having been stuck down with a bout of man-flu. Wish I had a better excuse like Paul's - thanks by the way for sharing your ch2 solutions, I read the chapter but still need to have a go at the assignment.

Hope you guys have an interesting time this eve.

Cheers
Ben

On 9 November 2014 22:09, Chris Lowis <chris...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Matthew Valentine-House

Nov 25, 2014, 7:28:36 AM11/25/14
to london-comp...@googlegroups.com, Ben Ridgway, jo...@joelchippindale.com, chris...@gmail.com
I find myself unable to make tonight either :( Mostly due to a failure on my part to manage my calendar effectively.

I am looking forward to the write up though, particularly if you do end up meandering into two’s complement territory.

Cheers
--
Matthew Valentine-House
http://www.eightbitraptor.com

Jamie White

Nov 25, 2014, 7:29:04 AM11/25/14
to Matthew Valentine-House, london-comp...@googlegroups.com, Ben Ridgway, Joel Chippindale, Chris Lowis
Sorry you guys can’t make it. We’ll do our best to document everything that goes on.