Style question: two dots

Pierre Abbat

Aug 27, 2014, 6:56:17 PM8/27/14
to loj...@googlegroups.com
If a word ends with a dot (usually a cmevla) and the following word begins
with a dot, which dot do you omit? If something comes between, such as a
punctuation mark or a verse number (I'm translating a Bible passage and a
verse ends with a name), do you omit a dot?

Pierre
--
li ze te'a ci vu'u ci bi'e te'a mu du
li ci su'i ze te'a mu bi'e vu'u ci

Jacob Errington

Aug 27, 2014, 8:55:46 PM8/27/14
to loj...@googlegroups.com
I keep the trailing dot only. This is so that if I want to remove the sentence that's starting after (it's usually {.i} after), I don't have to move the dot.

e.g. .i do me la .brodas. i mi co'e

If the separation between the two dots is greater, then I'll write them both. The rationale is that if it's in the same paragraph, it's meant to be read together, so putting both dots is unnecessary, but if there's some kind of more significant separation, then someone could presumably start reading after the separation.

.i mi'e la tsani mu'o

Michael Turniansky

Aug 28, 2014, 9:01:45 AM8/28/14
to loj...@googlegroups.com
  It depends on my style at the time.  If I was writing something formal/educational where I was using dots and spaces, I would leave them both in.  If I was writing something informal wtih just spaces, I would leave them both out (other than ".i")  If I was writing something in run-on using only dots, (logerku.cuklama.lozarci) then the question of "which one?" is mooot and/or metaphysical.
          --gejyspa