CLL Updates

Robin Lee Powell

Dec 15, 2019, 11:34:19 PM12/15/19
to loj...@googlegroups.com
OK, so I've done a bunch of work to get the CLL building properly.

The short version: the tooling is now fixed. I made a minor update
associated with that work, you can see details below.

On top of that there's a bunch of *content* changes that Gleki (and
some other people I think?) have been working on.

There are a variety of ways to show you what's changed between the
previous version and the current draft version. The
least-technical-ish way is a PDF diff; I use https://github.com/vslavik/diff-pdf/releases

How that actually works is that it turns one version blue and the
other version red and then drops them on top of each other. :) This
sometimes leads to unfortunate behaviour, like if you drop a line of
text, *all* the rest of the text until the end of the chapter will
show up as diffs because it's not aligned anymore. I have an idea
of how to make that better but haven't implemented it yet.

The one I generated for the current set of content changes is at
http://vrici.lojban.org/~rlpowell/media/public/cll_diff--official_2019-11-14--draft_2019-12-15.pdf

I, personally, only find the PDF diffs useful for "did we screw
anything up?", so here also are the HTML versions massaged for easy
diffing:

http://vrici.lojban.org/~rlpowell/media/public/cll_diff_2019-11-14_to_draft_2019-12-15/

The disadvantage is that you're reading "code" (HTML) rather than
visually-pretty text.

My suggestion in using those is to grab the chapter_chunks zips,
unpack them, and use something like these:

Windows: https://sourceforge.net/projects/winmerge/ , https://meldmerge.org/
Mac: https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/130086/175553
Linux: I use vimdiff, but I don't run Linux with a GUI, so...

*Make sure* you set it to ignore whitespace.

----

Details of the minor update I made:

First I went and updated versions of various things (including
Prince, which turned out to be a mistake but whatever it's done now)
and updated my scripts and so on.

It's now possible to get a working build running starting with a
fresh Amazon Ubuntu instance in less than 10 minutes, so I'm pretty
confident that all the problems with the build scripts are resolved.

For this part I went back to an earlier version, where the actual
content is almost identical to the previous (2018-05-21) version;
there's some *very* minor tweaks in the text, and a few updated
definitions in the glossary, but nothing of *any* significance; this
would allow me to test only my build script updates.

This became the 2019-11-14 version, which is now the official
version (since there were no content changes).

https://github.com/lojban/cll/tree/docbook-prince/official

The PDF diff between 2019-11-14 and 2018-05-21 is here:

http://users.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/media/public/cll_diffs/cll_diff_2019-11-09_1--2018-05-21.pdf

Note that that file is quite large (285MiB).

There *are* some visual changes in that PDF diff; you can see a complete description
of them at
https://github.com/lojban/cll/commit/7eed922d414c1dcb67f83a8b19b31706df8aa15d

Pierre Abbat

Dec 16, 2019, 3:19:20 AM12/16/19
to loj...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, 15 December 2019 23.34.16 EST Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> How that actually works is that it turns one version blue and the
> other version red and then drops them on top of each other. :) This
> sometimes leads to unfortunate behaviour, like if you drop a line of
> text, *all* the rest of the text until the end of the chapter will
> show up as diffs because it's not aligned anymore. I have an idea
> of how to make that better but haven't implemented it yet.

I put on my new 3D glasses, which I bought to write a 3D display for a program
that makes triangulated irregular networks out of point clouds, and found the
following discrepancies:

Page 102: Table 5.3 has "zdani lijgri", but table 5.5 has "linji zdani", and
the text between them has "lijgri" in red and "linji" in cyan.

Page 390: The cyan text of example 16.82 has "ku'o" inserted in the Lojban,
but nothing corresponding in the gloss, making "ckule" jut out above nothing.

Page 391: Example 16.89 has "ku'o" above nothing.

Page 428: Example 18:83 has "fo" inserted with no gloss.

Pierre
--
i toljundi do .ibabo mi'afra tu'a do
ibabo damba do .ibabo do jinga

karis

Jan 29, 2020, 7:56:02 AM1/29/20
to lojban
Robin,

Thank you for this, and all the other things you're posting.

Pierre,

That's a really interesting, and useful way to check the text. We should remember it for the future.

karis
President, LLG