[lojban] Re: Regular vs dictionary lujvo

Adam D. Lopresto

Jan 4, 2007, 11:19:03 AM1/4/07
to Lojban List
There is a very long (but informative) paper on this at
http://www.lojban.org/files/papers/lujvopap.3

It details the gasnu-based pattern, in particular.

--
Adam Lopresto
http://cec.wustl.edu/~adam/

You see things and say 'Why?'; but I dream things that never were and I
say 'Why not?'

--George Bernard Shaw

you're really stuck, send mail to secr...@lojban.org for help.

komfo,amonan

Jan 4, 2007, 1:55:46 PM1/4/07
to lojba...@lojban.org

I think on the contrary that eventually there ought to be an unabridged dictionary that includes these lujvo.

Small benefit: Inclusion of such lujvo would more easily allow beginners to read or get the gist of texts that would otherwise be above their level.

Larger benefit: There are some ambiguities with, e.g., {tol-}. {tolpa'i}: some might translate this as "x1 hates ...", others as "x1 is indifferent toward ...". And what of something like {tolge'u}? Perhaps inclusion of the obvious lujvo would serve to imply rejection of the excluded.

mu'o mi'e komfo,amonan

Jorge Llambías

Jan 4, 2007, 12:58:10 PM1/4/07
to loj...@yahoogroups.com
On 1/4/07, Cyril Slobin <slo...@ice.ru> wrote:

> For the second goal I suggest the following two rules:
> 1) Rafsi derived from cmavo is more affixish (has a higher priority)
> than rafsi derived from gismu.

This might work for some cases, such as tol- or sel- but I don't think
it will work for all cmavo with rafsi. For example, I think pav- tends to
work more like a gismu. {pavyseljirna} is (a kind of) {seljirna be
lo pa mei}, but I would say that {pavgau} is not a kind of {gasnu be
lo pa mei} but {x1 gasnu be lo nu x2 pa mei}, "x1 unifies x2" i.e. more
like an ordinary gau-lujvo.

> 2) Unless the first rule gives an answer, rafsi at the end of lujvo is
> more affixish (has a higher priority) than rafsi at te beginning of
> lujvo.

For example, malgau: {x1 gasnu lo nu x2 mabla}? I tend to agree. In
general I think rafsi from gismu should never behave like true prefixes,
but unfortunately some of them do seem to.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

Cyril Slobin

Jan 4, 2007, 10:24:51 AM1/4/07
to Lojban List
[...]