Let's create a word: Wasabi

la .gusek.

Nov 21, 2014, 5:22:37 AM11/21/14
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

A while back I felt the need the loan "wasabi" and "sushi" into Lojban. So I created these two words (they're both in jbovlaste now):
cidjrsuci: x1 is a quantity of sushi consisting of rice x2 and ingredients x3
stanruasabi: x1 is wasabi (Wasabia japonica) in form x2 of variety x3

"Sushi" was straightforward. It had been used before, and it's the most logical form of "sushi" as a stage-3 fu'ivla.

"Wasabi" was more tricky. I chosed "stani" (stem)
though, since this is the part you actually eat (it's not a root nor a rhizome). "ua" is legal in Lojban, and is the actual diphtong "w" refers to in japanese. The problem though, is that I mistakenly created a stage-4 fu'ivla which obviously never was my intention (since I forgot to add an initial consonant).

So, I'm asking you to help create it! How would you like the word? What initial consonant do you feel makes most sense/seems most natural?

Pierre Abbat

Nov 21, 2014, 6:34:38 AM11/21/14
to loj...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, November 21, 2014 02:22:37 la .gusek. wrote:
> "Wasabi" was more tricky. I chosed "stani" (stem) though, since this is the
> part you actually eat (it's not a root nor a rhizome). "ua" is legal in
> Lojban, and is the actual diphtong "w" refers to in japanese. The problem
> though, is that I mistakenly created a stage-4 fu'ivla which obviously
> never was my intention (since I forgot to add an initial consonant).
>
> So, I'm asking you to help create it! How would you like the word? What
> initial consonant do you feel makes most sense/seems most natural?

I'd say "stanrvasabi" or "stanrvuasabi".

Pierre
--
The gostak pelled at the fostin lutt for darfs for her martle plave.
The darfs had smibbed, the lutt was thale, and the pilter had nothing snave.

la .gusek.

Nov 21, 2014, 11:34:43 AM11/21/14
to loj...@googlegroups.com, ph...@bezitopo.org
Thank you for your answer!

I've considered them but I have some problems:
  • stanrvasabi: The word "vasabi" seems more like a loan word of a loan word than a loan word (from Japanese). "Wasabi" has the pronunciation "uasabi" and not "vasabi" in it's original language, and since that is possible in Lojban it seems a shame to modify it (maybe malglico even?).
  • stanrvuasabi: "vua" seems difficult to pronounce and distinguish. Is it though? Input here?

MorphemeAddict

Nov 21, 2014, 12:43:34 PM11/21/14
to loj...@googlegroups.com
"vuasabi" would be no more difficult to pronounce than "voilà!".

stevo

la durka

Nov 21, 2014, 2:19:17 PM11/21/14
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Are we so sure {stanruasabi} isn't a type-3 fu'ivla? The fu'ivla types are just a convention anyway. I know the Book says the "tail" of a type-3 fu'ivla should start with a consonant, but a glide {ua} is _nearly_ a consonant. Furthermore, syllable analysis (using camxes) gives us {sta,nr,ua,sa,bi} which has that telltale consonantal syllable.

So I say {stanruasabi} is type-3 and fine. What do you think?

mu'o mi'e la durkavore

Jorge Llambías

Nov 21, 2014, 5:05:53 PM11/21/14
to loj...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 4:19 PM, la durka <dur...@gmail.com> wrote:
Are we so sure {stanruasabi} isn't a type-3 fu'ivla? The fu'ivla types are just a convention anyway. I know the Book says the "tail" of a type-3 fu'ivla should start with a consonant, but a glide {ua} is _nearly_ a consonant. Furthermore, syllable analysis (using camxes) gives us {sta,nr,ua,sa,bi} which has that telltale consonantal syllable.

So I say {stanruasabi} is type-3 and fine. What do you think?

As you say, it's just a conventional name, nothing really hinges on that. I agree it makes sense to include such things among type-3. But personally I'd go with a full type-4, maybe "uaxsabi".

mu'o mi'e xorxes

la .gusek.

Nov 21, 2014, 6:29:14 PM11/21/14
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Thank you stevo, you've got a point there. Maybe it makes sense to use "v" as initial consonant!

Den fredagen den 21:e november 2014 kl. 20:19:17 UTC+1 skrev la durka:
Are we so sure {stanruasabi} isn't a type-3 fu'ivla? The fu'ivla types are just a convention anyway. I know the Book says the "tail" of a type-3 fu'ivla should start with a consonant, but a glide {ua} is _nearly_ a consonant. Furthermore, syllable analysis (using camxes) gives us {sta,nr,ua,sa,bi} which has that telltale consonantal syllable.

So I say {stanruasabi} is type-3 and fine. What do you think?

mu'o mi'e la durkavore

I say it's problematic and gray enough to motivate the addition of an initial consonant, but maybe I should rethink. "vlatai" does classify it as fu'ivla stage-4 though, and can't decompose it into stem and loan word (as a stage-3). This to me is troublesome. It seems odd to end up with a technical stage-4 that has the form of a stage-3. Either you make a stage-3 properly, or you make a short stage-4.

Den fredagen den 21:e november 2014 kl. 23:05:53 UTC+1 skrev xorxes:

As you say, it's just a conventional name, nothing really hinges on that. I agree it makes sense to include such things among type-3. But personally I'd go with a full type-4, maybe "uaxsabi".

mu'o mi'e xorxes

Okay, again maybe I should rethink. Any idea why "vlatai" wasn't programmed to take diphthongs into account this way?

Regarding your recommendation with a full stage-4, I don't agree with that line of thinking (but I get your point). Personally, I find it frustrating to see stage-4:s created directly and have trouble taking them "as seriously" as stage-3:s (I know I shouldn't react this way, but I do). I intuitively respect "sorpeka" much, much more (since it was created out of need and from an existing word), than stage-4:s with no pre-existing need and actual stage-3. I kind of want a stage-3 to exist before hand, and it's usage to motivate the creation of a stage-4. It feels like a "waste" of semantic space as well as unnecessary and risky behaviour (without guaranteeing syntactic non-decomposing).

I don't want to dismiss your view entirely, but I would feel a lot more comfortable with a stage-3 existing before it's shortened into a stage-4. Do you understand what I'm feeling? No offense to those who feel otherwise, truly! Maybe I'm too strict, I don't know...

Pierre Abbat

Nov 22, 2014, 12:03:27 AM11/22/14
to loj...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, November 21, 2014 15:29:14 la .gusek. wrote:
> Okay, again maybe I should rethink. Any idea why "vlatai" wasn't programmed
> to take diphthongs into account this way?

Vlatai was written before there was a precise analysis of what a Lojban
syllable is.

> Regarding your recommendation with a full stage-4, I don't agree with that
> line of thinking (but I get your point). Personally, I find it frustrating
> to see stage-4:s created directly and have trouble taking them "as
> seriously" as stage-3:s (I know I shouldn't react this way, but I do). I
> intuitively respect "sorpeka" much, much more (since it was created out of
> need and from an existing word), than stage-4:s with no pre-existing need
> and actual stage-3. I kind of want a stage-3 to exist before hand, and it's
> usage to *motivate* the creation of a stage-4. It feels like a "waste" of
> semantic space as well as unnecessary and risky behaviour (without
> guaranteeing syntactic non-decomposing).

I don't have any problem with creating stage-4's straight off. I do make
stage-3's when the foreign part is too short (e.g. bakrto), doesn't fit well
into stage-4 shape, or would be ambiguous between two very different things
(e.g. rutrmalpigi, ragrmalpigi). "sorpeka" was shortened from a lujvo, not a
stage-3.

I think that there should be a clear distinction between stage 3 and stage 4.
Once I borrowed a word "turndun" (an Australian noisemaker, also called a
bullroarer). At first I got "turndunu", but that is a stage-3 for some kind of
structure, so I altered it to "turdunu".

Pierre
--
li ze te'a ci vu'u ci bi'e te'a mu du
li ci su'i ze te'a mu bi'e vu'u ci

la .gusek.

Nov 22, 2014, 7:53:04 AM11/22/14
Den lördagen den 22:e november 2014 kl. 06:03:27 UTC+1 skrev Pierre Abbat:
Vlatai was written before there was a precise analysis of what a Lojban
syllable is.
Okay, that I didn't know. Then it might make sense to just keep this word (stanruasabi) as is, I guess? Anyone disagree?
I don't have any problem with creating stage-4's straight off. I do make
stage-3's when the foreign part is too short (e.g. bakrto), doesn't fit well
into stage-4 shape, or would be ambiguous between two very different things
(e.g. rutrmalpigi, ragrmalpigi). "sorpeka" was shortened from a lujvo, not a
stage-3.
I know I should probably be more open minded to straigt-to-stage-4 words, but for now I'm hesitant to make them myself. If someone feels the need of a stage-4 from a stage-3 I've created, I hope they can create such a word. I guess I see stage-3 as some kind of necessary intermediate before full loan, in parallel to how it often works in natlangs (original spelling/pronounciation -> [heavy usage] -> full native word).

Yes I'm aware that it's a shortened lujvo, it was just a good example that popped into my mind since I used "sorprekarce" a lot and myself experienced the need for a shortened form in my daily Lojban usage. I would argue that lujvo and stage-3 share a lot of characteristics though, since they both are bound by morphological rules and their form official and controlled.
I think that there should be a clear distinction between stage 3 and stage 4.
Once I borrowed a word "turndun" (an Australian noisemaker, also called a
bullroarer). At first I got "turndunu", but that is a stage-3 for some kind of
structure, so I altered it to "turdunu".
That's indeed quite interesting, I will keep that in mind.

Thank you all. I hope this discussion wasn't offending anyone! I'm currently spending a lot of time daily to try to help expand our dictionary, and I would like to do it as careful and quality controlled as I possibly can.