Colony.

Robin Lee Powell

Oct 8, 2017, 7:28:59 PM10/8/17
to loj...@googlegroups.com

https://colony.io/

Seems like the sort of thing that might help small/volunteer orgs
like the Lojban community get more done.

suke...@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2017, 5:41:29 AM10/10/17
to lojban
Hi Robin,

The global concept of an open "meritocracy" sounds good, and may be adapted for whatever people could bring to Lojban. However, Colony.io's business model is not perfectly clear to me. Moreover, it seems heavily tied with ETH crypto-currency and Ethereal technology (which are rather new to me, too).
This makes me a bit suspicious (yeah, I just can't fully trust things I don't understand!)... Do you have information that may clarify all of this?

Thanks.

--
Sukender

Gregorio Guidi

Oct 10, 2017, 4:11:37 PM10/10/17
to loj...@googlegroups.com, suke...@gmail.com
Hello,

In term of business model, I believe Colony.io follows the model that someone describes as the "ICO bubble" (but apparently they backed out from doing an ICO this year, according to their blog).

Bye,
Gregorio

Robin Lee Powell

Oct 11, 2017, 10:25:09 AM10/11/17
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Nope. It's just something I bumped into. Similarly
https://www.holacracy.org/how-it-works/

gleki.is...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2017, 7:35:18 AM10/12/17
to lojban

Em quarta-feira, 11 de outubro de 2017 17:25:09 UTC+3, Robin Powell escreveu:
Nope.  It's just something I bumped into.  Similarly
https://www.holacracy.org/how-it-works/

Maybe one can just find an open source alternative to them?

suke...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2017, 10:28:10 AM10/12/17
to lojban
Gleki, as far as I understood from the docs, those platforms are (or will be) open sourced. This is not really the issue actually. Indeed, this (more-or-less) open source code is used as a foundation layer, acting ontop of a blockchain to replace "trusted" 3rd parties. This is the same principle with cryptocurrencies, but here instead of using blockchain transactions for money (replacing the bank as a trusted 3rd party), "smart contracts" and other (non-financial) "validated transactions" are used as a base for software (named "dApps"). Said otherwise, you will still have to finance the blockchain construction & validation, even if source code is open.

( I hope my explanation is correct! )

Cheers,

Sukender

Gleki Arxokuna

Oct 12, 2017, 10:39:32 AM10/12/17
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Gleki, as far as I understood from the docs, those platforms are (or will be) open sourced.

Including the server side part? Ok, that's nice then.

This is not really the issue actually. Indeed, this (more-or-less) open source code is used as a foundation layer, acting ontop of a blockchain to replace "trusted" 3rd parties. This is the same principle with cryptocurrencies, but here instead of using blockchain transactions for money (replacing the bank as a trusted 3rd party), "smart contracts" and other (non-financial) "validated transactions" are used as a base for software (named "dApps"). Said otherwise, you will still have to finance the blockchain construction & validation, even if source code is open.

To never lose history of transactions? Decentralized servers? I doubt that's viable for us if we get a high load on Lojbanistan-hosted servers from many users not related to Lojban and it's hardly useful when we use such things within Lojbanistan only (why not have a simple database, which every Lojbanist can download)

Wei Tang

Oct 12, 2017, 10:49:49 AM10/12/17
to lojban
 (Re-post because my last message didn't go through. Also I would really hope that there's a way to post here without using a Gmail account...)

For someone working in the blockchain field, a thing I learned by hard lessons is that, do not mess up with consensus, unless absolutely necessary... I just suggest we being extra-careful if this ends up to be something we decide to do. As I understand it, Colony organizations is something that would require "stakes". For something as open and "unorganized" as Lojban, fairly distrbuting "stakes" might be something impossible (or at least really hard). In the mean time, anything related to Ethereum would mean wars and certainly piss some people off no matter what. People would argue about the blockchain to be chosen "Ethereum vs. Ethereum Classic", and would argue about the standard "ERC20 vs. ERC223". So forth and so on.

In addition, as far as I know, Colony is not open source (at least not yet). Publishing a contract on the blockchain doesn't make it open source unless the publisher makes it so. Otherwise what you get is just those binary assembly EVM code.

Sometimes the open source model as we currently do, where people just create fork and coordinate in whatever way they want, might just work better.

-- Wei