CLLv1.1 Help Wanted

Robin Lee Powell

Jan 23, 2015, 5:07:00 PM1/23/15
to loj...@googlegroups.com

Right now I'm working on table alignment and making sure the tables
aren't too wide, which is easy stuff anybody able to handle github
can help with.

I'm on the docbook-prince branch; see for example
https://github.com/lojban/cll/commit/1f13384d3ef48158011c6837e47202930a606abe

The <interlinear-gloss> tables, of which there are many, are now
strictly aligned by word, where "word" is defined as "not spaces".

So in the old version we might have had:

mi cu klama
I go

In the new version this would result in:

mi cu klama
I go

So I've been inserting - when there's no equivalent word, like so:

mi cu klama
I - go

The other big one has been glossing "la" as "that-named".

Anyways, there's *LOTS* of this sort of work to do; I could use some
help.

THESE ARE CONTENT CHANGES PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL.

Send pull requests. Thanks!

--
http://intelligence.org/ : Our last, best hope for a fantastic future.
.i ko na cpedu lo nu stidi vau loi jbopre .i dafsku lu na go'i li'u .e

Robin Lee Powell

Jan 23, 2015, 6:06:16 PM1/23/15
to loj...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 02:06:57PM -0800, Robin Lee Powell wrote:

> Right now I'm working on table alignment and making sure the
> tables aren't too wide, which is easy stuff anybody able to handle
> github can help with.
>
> I'm on the docbook-prince branch; see for example
> https://github.com/lojban/cll/commit/1f13384d3ef48158011c6837e47202930a606abe
>
> The <interlinear-gloss> tables, of which there are many, are now
> strictly aligned by word, where "word" is defined as "not spaces".
>
> So in the old version we might have had:
>
> mi cu klama
> I go
>
> In the new version this would result in:
>
> mi cu klama
> I go
>
> So I've been inserting - when there's no equivalent word, like so:
>
> mi cu klama
> I - go
>
> The other big one has been glossing "la" as "that-named".

(In later chapters I've been using - for la just to save horizontal
space)

la durka

Feb 2, 2015, 2:23:28 AM2/2/15
to loj...@googlegroups.com
The hyphens are good, but sometimes {bo} is glossed as actually a hyphen, which is confusing if a hyphen means a missing word. What do you think?

Robin Lee Powell

Feb 2, 2015, 2:35:07 AM2/2/15
to loj...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Feb 01, 2015 at 11:23:28PM -0800, la durka wrote:
> The hyphens are good, but sometimes {bo} is glossed as actually a
> hyphen, which is confusing if a hyphen means a missing word. What
> do you think?

Seems like we could gloss it as something else? like -- or [-] or
[close-binding] or something?

Alex Burka

Feb 2, 2015, 3:11:03 AM2/2/15
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Sure, at least for now I'll gloss it as "--" and add a note at example 5.20 saying not to confuse it with the single hyphens.

la durka

Feb 8, 2015, 2:37:14 AM2/8/15
to loj...@googlegroups.com
I've been compiling both locally on OSX (ex: alexburka.com/tmp/cll_5.pdf) and with my git-auto-updating-gizmo on a Debian server (ex: alexburka.com/lojban/cll_5.pdf) and getting wildly different fonts. Specifically, with the font I get on Linux I'm having to split a lot of examples to prevent them overflowing the page. So which font (or neither) is the one you will use when building the real PDF?

- mu'o mi'e la durkavore

Robin Lee Powell

Feb 8, 2015, 4:09:34 AM2/8/15
to loj...@googlegroups.com
The CSS allows for *many* alternative fonts, just to be helpful :),
but here's the actual primary font list:

prince: Converting document...
prince: used font: Linux Libertine O, Bold
prince: used font: Linux Libertine O, Regular
prince: used font: Linux Libertine O, Italic
prince: used font: Linux Biolinum O, Bold
prince: used font: Linux Biolinum O, Regular
prince: used font: DejaVu Serif, Bold
prince: used font: DejaVu Serif, Book
prince: used font: DejaVu Sans Mono, Book
prince: used font: Linux Libertine O, Bold Italic
prince: used font: Unifont, Medium
prince: used font: Linux Biolinum O, Italic
prince: used font: DejaVu Sans Mono, Oblique

If you have those all installed, you should get exactly the same
results as I get.

Dan Rosén

Feb 8, 2015, 5:24:58 AM2/8/15
to loj...@googlegroups.com
The "OSX" version looks a lot better, up to that the sans-serif font in the examples is replaced with an ugly serif font (suspiciously identical to Times New Roman).

mu'o

Alex Burka

Feb 8, 2015, 3:17:24 PM2/8/15
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Thanks much for the list! I installed these on the server but Prince still didn't pick them up. I had to change the references in the CSS to explicltly "Linux Libertine O" and "Linux Biolinum O". I still don't see it using Unifont or DejaVu Sans Mono anywhere, but I'm only testing chapter 5 at the moment, so perhaps those are just not used there.

- mu'o mi'e la durkavore
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "lojban" group.

Robin Lee Powell

Feb 8, 2015, 10:02:03 PM2/8/15
to loj...@googlegroups.com
They're mostly only used in the morphology chapter, IIRC.