jbonunsla 2015 proposed schedule (August 28 - 31)

Riley Martinez-Lynch

Aug 26, 2015, 4:13:59 AM8/26/15
to loj...@googlegroups.com, lojban-ann...@googlegroups.com
Here is a tentative schedule of activities for jbonunsla this weekend.

As a reminder, jbonunsla is being held at the Holiday Inn in Princeton, New Jersey, the weekend of August 29-30. There will likely be impromptu activities Friday through Sunday evening, in addition to the ones scheduled here.

Those who can't join by person in New Jersey are encouraged to take part in IRC sessions on Saturday afternoon (1pm EDT / 17:00 UTC) and evening (5pm EDT / 21:00 UTC) and/or a VOIP chat on Sunday morning (11am EDT / 15:00 UTC).

Please feel free to reach out with questions or to suggest additional activities in the Lojban Google Group / mailing list:

Friday, August 28

3:00 PM EDT
Check-in begins (Holiday Inn)

—

Saturday, August 29

9:00 AM EDT
Opening ceremonies: Jbonunsla 2015
“Rome” Meeting Room, Holiday Inn, Princeton

Readings and songs. Attendees are invited to present original works, or translations, and to bring a musical instrument.

** lunch/brunch/dormijysai **

1:00 PM - 5:00 PM EDT
CLL Edit-a-thon

Robin Lee Powell will join from San Francisco via #lojban in IRC (freenode.net) to coordinate work on the forthcoming reissue of "The Complete Lojban Language".

5:00 PM - 6:00 PM EDT (21:00 - 22:00 UTC)
Founders chat

lojbab and possibly Nora will join from Virginia via #lojban in IRC (freenode.net)

—

Sunday, August 30

11:00 AM - 1:00 PM EDT (15:00 - 17:00 UTC)
International VOIP chat

Lojbanists from around the world will assemble by Mumble (connect to http://mumble.metal-bunker.info:64738) to chat with attendees.

** lunch/brunch/dormijysai **

2:00 PM - 4:00 PM EDT
nooLearn Game
“Rome” Meeting Room, Holiday Inn, Princeton

Brian Wernham of nooLearn will guide attendees in a Lojban learning game, with prizes for participation.

6:00 PM EDT
Closing ceremonies: Jbonunsla 2015
“Rome” Meeting Room, Holiday Inn, Princeton

—

Monday, August 31

12:00 PM (Noon) EDT
Check-out (Holiday Inn)

selpa'i

Aug 28, 2015, 2:58:58 PM8/28/15
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Here are a few simple games that could be played at jbonunsla. A few of
these have been play-tested during various Mumble sessions or on IRC,
and some I semi-invented for jbonunsla.

la re no preti (20 Questions)

One person thinks of an object, and the other people have twenty yes/no
questions to guess what it is.

xanri ko (Imagine!)

Very open-ended game. One player starts by imagining something out loud.
Then the next person adds to the imaginary situation with whatever they
like. Then the next person does the same, and so on. This is basically a
freeform story-building game.

palci zei ze (Evil Seven)

This is a fun counting game and can become very exciting when played
quickly. The first player starts counting at 1, then the next player
says 2, the next says 3, and so on. Any time a number that contains the
digit 7 or is divisible by 7 comes up, you have to say {.o'i} instead,
and the direction of play is reversed (if it was clockwise before, then
it changes to counter-clockwise). When a player makes a mistake (either
by counting incorrectly, or by uttering a number containing 7 or
divisible by 7) then that player gets removed from the round, and the
remaining players start at 1 again. The last player remaining wins.

valsi lerfu jufra (Word Letter Phrases)

One person names a random Lojban word and then everyone tries to create
a Lojban sentence with the same number of words as the random Lojban
word has letters, and each word has to contain the corresponding letter.
For example, MAMTA could become "Mi nA Ta'o nAi".
Whoever is done yells {mulno} or {mo'u}. The first one to finish reads
out their solution and then chooses the next random word. Extra points
are awarded for sentences that make sense or are funny.

A word chaining game whose name I don't recall

The first person names any gismu. Then the next person has to name
another gismu that begins with the same letters that the previous gismu
ended with, and so on. For example a round could go like this: gismu ->
smuni -> nibli -> bliku -> kufra -> frati ...
If desired, the game can be extended to include lujvo and zi'evla.

lo broda cu mo (Paraphrasing game)

This game can be played either as a team game or more casually in a
circle. The idea is to define or paraphrase a word without saying the
word itself, and the other people have to guess the word. In the team
version, the players first have to be divided into two teams, and then
it works like the game Taboo (or Hot Seat). If the word is guessed
correctly the paraphraser gets a point.
Here is an example of a possible paraphrase:
{lo broda cu rirni gi'e ninmu} -> answer: {mamta}.

ni'o .a'o ba zdile lo zvati

mi'e la selpa'i mu'o

Michael Turniansky

Aug 28, 2015, 3:12:12 PM8/28/15
to loj...@googlegroups.com
  While I hoped I could pop by for a while on Sunday, I am afraid that it's not possible.  I have to take my kids to the State Fair in the morning, and ride Citizen's Patrol in the evening.

   ko zanfri

                --gejyspa

Jacob Errington

Aug 28, 2015, 3:18:38 PM8/28/15
to loj...@googlegroups.com
I'm currently on my way! Hopefully my train won't be late to arrive. If
all goes as planned, I should be arriving at the hotel around 10:30 PM.

If I do miss any connecting trains / buses, however, I might wind up
stranded for the night. If so, would someone who came by car mind coming
to pick me up? I'll gladly pay for the gas.

.i di'ai ro do .i mi fizbu carmi !

Pierre Abbat

Aug 28, 2015, 4:58:06 PM8/28/15
to loj...@googlegroups.com
I am at the hotel. Riley will probably be here before you. If you get
stranded, call 609-520-1200 and ask the guy at the front desk to call me. I
have a pickup, so I can pick you up.

Pierre
--
The Black Garden on the Mountain is not on the Black Mountain.

Mark E. Shoulson

Aug 28, 2015, 5:18:38 PM8/28/15
to loj...@googlegroups.com
On 08/28/2015 04:58 PM, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> On Friday, August 28, 2015 15:17:47 Jacob Errington wrote:
>> I'm currently on my way! Hopefully my train won't be late to arrive. If
>> all goes as planned, I should be arriving at the hotel around 10:30 PM.
>>
>> If I do miss any connecting trains / buses, however, I might wind up
>> stranded for the night. If so, would someone who came by car mind coming
>> to pick me up? I'll gladly pay for the gas.
> I am at the hotel. Riley will probably be here before you. If you get
> stranded, call 609-520-1200 and ask the guy at the front desk to call me. I
> have a pickup, so I can pick you up.
>
> Pierre
Heading out to jbonunsla soon; out to be there by 7 or so... Just some
last-minute things to take care of, and usual stalling...

~mark

Jacob Errington

Aug 28, 2015, 5:24:59 PM8/28/15
to loj...@googlegroups.com
On 08/28/2015 04:58 PM, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> On Friday, August 28, 2015 15:17:47 Jacob Errington wrote:
>> I'm currently on my way! Hopefully my train won't be late to arrive. If
>> all goes as planned, I should be arriving at the hotel around 10:30 PM.
>>
>> If I do miss any connecting trains / buses, however, I might wind up
>> stranded for the night. If so, would someone who came by car mind coming
>> to pick me up? I'll gladly pay for the gas.
>
> I am at the hotel. Riley will probably be here before you. If you get
> stranded, call 609-520-1200 and ask the guy at the front desk to call me. I
> have a pickup, so I can pick you up.
>
> Pierre

I've checked njtransit one last time, and I *should* be alright. Thank
you very much for the offer though, and I'll take note of that number in
case anything happens.

.i mi'e la tsani mu'o

mukti

Aug 28, 2015, 9:26:42 PM8/28/15
to lojban, ts...@mail.jerrington.me
I made it!

There are taxis from Princeton Junction, if that's where you're arriving, although they are somewhat expensive: $20.

The hotel restaurant closes at 10: If you want me to put it in order for you before they close, I'd be glad to do that.

mu'o mi'e la mukti

la durka

Aug 29, 2015, 10:40:26 AM8/29/15
to lojban
coi do'o mi bazi tsuku la'o zoi Princeton Junction zoi ti'u li 11:12 .i .ai taksykla lo xotli

mi'e la durka