CLL erratum: “.ybu” vs “.y.bu”

Wuzzy

Jun 30, 2015, 4:50:00 AM6/30/15
to loj...@googlegroups.com
I think there is some inconsistency in the CLL regarding the letteral
for “y”, the letteral construction rules, and the cmavo “y”.

According to CLL, the letteral for “y” is “.ybu”

> Therefore, the following table represents the basic Lojban alphabet:
>
> ' a b c d e
> .y'y. .abu by. cy. dy. .ebu
>
> f g i j k l
> fy. gy. .ibu jy. ky. ly.
>
> m n o p r s
> my. ny. .obu py. ry. sy.
>
> t u v x y z
> ty. .ubu vy. xy. .ybu zy.
https://lojban.github.io/cll/17/2/

This is also reflected in jbovlaste. Here is the entry for “ybu”:
http://jbovlaste.lojban.org/dict/ybu

This is an “officialdata” entry.

However, there is just one problem: The cmavo “y” requires pauses
before and after it:
> In addition, there is the cmavo “.y.” (remember that “y” is not a V),
> which must have pauses before and after it.
https://lojban.github.io/cll/4/2/

So, why is it “.ybu” and not “.y.bu”?

Note the CLL also presents “.y'y.bu”, not “.y'ybu”, a few pages later.
(and “vy.bu” and “ky.bu”).

I have found no rule in the CLL which would permit “.ybu”. AFAIK
the “period omitting rule” only applies if spaces are used. So “y bu”
would be fine IMO.

For me this seems to be a pretty stupid oversight.

Could the responsible person or persons please quickly confirm this
erratum? And resolve this conflict in the CLL?

Greetings!

Michael Turniansky

Jun 30, 2015, 12:09:18 PM6/30/15
to loj...@googlegroups.com
I'm probably wrong, but it seems to me that ybu must not have a pause between the y and bu, following the pattern of the abu, ebu, etc, because if one did pause, it would be seen as "y" in its usual meaning (consider -- if you wanted to say "the way to mark a word as being a character instead was with the word....uh...'bu'" Since this could naturally come out unwanted, if you didn't 'y' to be the hesitation marker in that one case, you could never accidentally hesitate before saying the word bu, because it would always  be considered the letteral 'y'.  Hence, when we really want to talk about the letteral, we must not pause.

  As I said above, I may be completely wrong

          --gejyspa

la durka

Jun 30, 2015, 2:01:57 PM6/30/15
to loj...@googlegroups.com
This isn't the only inconsistency in the CLL's morphology, and FWIW it's fixed in the camxes morphology by special casing a {y} followed by {bu}.

mu'o mi'e la durkavore