h vs. ' and . vs '

Henry McDonough

Jun 22, 2017, 7:39:47 PM6/22/17
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
I know that the mandatory pause/glottal stop was assigned to . because '
was already taken, but does anyone know the reason why the aspirant
consonant wasn't just assigned to the letter h in the first place?

uakci

Jun 23, 2017, 2:42:17 AM6/23/17
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
CLL explains that in 3.3.:
“The apostrophe represents a phoneme similar to a short, breathy English “h”, (IPA [h]). The letter “h” is not used to represent this sound for two reasons: primarily in order to simplify explanations of the morphology, but also because the sound is very common, and the apostrophe is a visually lightweight representation of it. The apostrophe sound is a consonant in nature, but is not treated as either a consonant or a vowel for purposes of Lojban morphology (word-formation), which is explained in Chapter 4. In addition, the apostrophe visually parallels the comma and the period, which are also used (in different ways) to separate syllables.”

I used to write Lojban with ' and h at some point and it looked quite nice.

—mi'e la uakci