"Notebook" (NOT "selbeiskami"!)

Christa Hansberry

Jun 23, 2015, 5:47:30 AM6/23/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
I'm currently working through Lojban for Beginners and writing the vocab lists and my answers to the exercises in a spiral notebook.  I want to label it "Christa's Lojban Notebook", or something along those lines, in Lojban. But when I look up "notebook" with my Lojban dictionary app, all it gives me is "selbeiskami"; I'm guessing that's short for "se bevri skami" which is NOT what I'm after. So, I figured I'd try to figure it out myself, since apparently the authors of Lojban dictionaries are such tech-heads that they've forgotten what a notebook is when it's not a portable computer.

But now I'm stuck - Is a notebook a writing-surface type-of book (thus "terci'acku"), or a things-written type-of book (thus "selci'acku")?? Originally, I wrote the former; it is a book that is a writing surface. But then I thought about the word "selpeicku", which L4B gives as the work for "manifesto" - and that is a book that expresses thoughts; one can't think a book! So now a notebook being a things-written type-of book, since it contains things-written, makes sense too. Though I'm still personally leaning toward the first one...

So, in summary, is there a commonly used Lojban word for a notebook (a book for notes, not a se bevri type-of skami)?

Thank you!

Pierre Abbat

Jun 23, 2015, 6:55:49 AM6/23/15
On Monday, June 22, 2015 21:44:21 Christa Hansberry wrote:
> I'm currently working through *Lojban for Beginners* and writing the vocab
I don't know of a commonly used word. I'd say "terci'acku". As to computers, a
notebook is a laptop of a certain size. I prefer "ploskami", maybe "paprybra
ploskami" for notebooks. "selbeiskami" is more general and covers everything
from a Raspberry Pi to an old model with a screen on the end and a handle to
carry it with.

Pierre
--
loi mintu se ckaji danlu cu jmaji

Gleki Arxokuna

Jun 23, 2015, 7:05:40 AM6/23/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Btw, this clearly shows that proliferating lujvo might not be the best option since those devices change too much.

Compare 手机 (literally "hand machine") for "mobile phone" in Chinese.
Even tanru + names of devices using {la} might do.

Pierre
--
loi mintu se ckaji danlu cu jmaji

Michael Turniansky

Jun 23, 2015, 4:14:03 PM6/23/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Not to be too malglico about this, but what's wrong with noicku?  After all, it's filled with notci be da bei do bei do

            --gejyspa

Pierre Abbat

Jun 24, 2015, 11:49:57 PM6/24/15
On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 16:14:01 Michael Turniansky wrote:
> Not to be too malglico about this, but what's wrong with noicku? After
> all, it's filled with notci be da bei do bei do

What do you call it when it's not filled with anything yet?

Pierre
--
The Black Garden on the Mountain is not on the Black Mountain.

MorphemeAddict

Jun 25, 2015, 3:47:29 AM6/25/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Must it actually have notes in it for it to be a note book? A book FOR notes, not just FULL OF notes.

stevo

Christa Hansberry

Jun 25, 2015, 8:04:29 PM6/25/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Is it full of notci?

notci:
x1 is a message/notice/memorandum about subject x2 from author x3 for intended audience x4

Most of what I see written in notebooks at my house doesn't really fit this description. Even if we can come up with a way to squeeze it in (I'm writing messages about Lojban to myself, or something) it seems to miss the point. The contents of a notebook can be just about anything, but generally they are all things written by someone, with some writing implement. So, it seems to me that a notebook is most fundamentally a writing surface/storage medium, on which someone writes something with some writing implement; thus, a "terci'a", and it's in the form of a book, so "terci'acku" seems that it would convey the intended meaning, wouldn't it?

Erik Natanael Gustafsson

Jun 30, 2015, 9:30:29 AM6/30/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com

I like terci'acku! The alternative for me would be using selpapri so perhaps selpapryterci'a or terci'aselpapri right? But I think I like terci'acku better.