Where to start reading

Mauricio Bosshard

Aug 1, 2015, 1:14:45 PM8/1/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
coi ro do

I'm more than halfway through the wave lessons, but I still feel I
have a really hard time dealing with an actual lojban text. Also, I
seem to remember hearing about a change that took place in lojban
grammar, so I am left wondering if the things I don't understand are
even current. For example in "la .teris. ...." the period in the
beginning of the name is not used except in the title. I was under the
impression this was mandatory, so I tend to think this text is in an
older version of lojban.

So what are good texts to start reading in people's opinions?

Ian Johnson

Aug 2, 2015, 8:44:27 AM8/2/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
For the dotside point, in print we can specify word boundaries with spaces. Thus the dots can be safely omitted, but they are still included in the correct pronunciation. In speech you need the dots, period, because without them {la .latros. mo} (What does Latros do?) can become {la la .tros. mo} (Mo, who is associated with Tros, ...)

mi'e la latro'a mu'o

Michael Turniansky

Aug 2, 2015, 9:52:39 AM8/2/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
  Speaking for myself, as author of Terry the Tiger, if there is a dot before the T in the title, that's because someone added it (probably in the migration from the old wiki to the new).  I certainly never had it.  Dotside has never been considered official, and until it is, I won't use it.  All that being said, as latro'a said, it doesn't make a difference in print since the periods are always optional if there is a space in place of them.

  I happen to immodestly think my story is a great beginning text...

               --gejyspa

mauricio...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2015, 9:25:00 PM8/3/15
to Lojban Beginners
Actually I'm having a bit trouble with it and was looking for a text that was perhaps even simpler. Not that I can't understand it, it is just a lot of work to decipher the grammar...

Michael Turniansky

Aug 3, 2015, 9:52:39 PM8/3/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
http://mw.lojban.org/papri/not_a_Box ? (also translated by me)

Mauricio Bosshard

Aug 9, 2015, 11:00:32 AM8/9/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
What a cute story! It was also exactly what I was looking for, very,
very simple so I can start getting a better feel for the language.

.i ki'e la maikl.

Michael Turniansky