Give us a moment, please.

ravas

Dec 14, 2014, 11:58:04 PM12/14/14
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
"Give us a moment, please."
I found this sentence here:
http://tatoeba.org/eng/sentences/show/2645083
It had a lojban translation:
{ko tu'a mi ze'i denpa}

Obviously the English sentence is an idiom,
which we won't translate directly.
However, is the aforementioned lojban coherent?

I think {e'o do ze'i denpa} would work.

Another translation could be {e'o do ze'i xrukla vi}.

I also thought of:
{e'o mi'a ze'i djica lo nu sivtavla}
[Request] We [for a short time period] want to privately talk.

Curiously
camxes.lojban.org/ (awesome)
claims this is not grammatically correct.
Yet it has no problem with:
{e'o mi'a ze'i djica lo nu sivni tavla}

Is {sivtavla} incorrect? Or have I discovered a bug?

ravas

Dec 15, 2014, 2:56:08 AM12/15/14
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Maybe {e'o mi'a ze'i djica lo nu sivni nuncasnu} is what I wanted.

Gleki Arxokuna

Dec 15, 2014, 3:04:03 AM12/15/14
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
or may be more precisely {e'o mi'a zukte ze'i} since the emphasis is on what we do, not they wait.

Ilmen

Dec 15, 2014, 9:33:06 AM12/15/14

On 15/12/2014 05:58, ravas wrote:
> Curiously
> camxes.lojban.org/ (awesome)
> claims this is not grammatically correct.
> Yet it has no problem with:
> {e'o mi'a ze'i djica lo nu sivni tavla}
>
> Is {sivtavla} incorrect? Or have I discovered a bug?
Lojban's morphophonology disallows a voiced stop/fricative consonant to
be adjacent to a voiceless consonant. The -y- hyphen is required between
siv- and -tavla in order to prevent the formation of the -vt- cluster,
which is an illegal cluster (two stop/fricative consonants differing in
voiceness are next to each other).
As a result, the correct lujvo form is {sivytavla}, or better,
{sivyta'a} (-ta'a- is a rafsi of {tavla}).

mu'o mi'e la .ilmen.

Ilmen

Dec 15, 2014, 9:59:41 AM12/15/14
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com

On 15/12/2014 05:58, ravas wrote:
"Give us a moment, please."
I found this sentence here:
http://tatoeba.org/eng/sentences/show/2645083
It had a lojban translation:
{ko tu'a mi ze'i denpa}

Obviously the English sentence is an idiom,
which we won't translate directly.
However, is the aforementioned lojban coherent?

I think {e'o do ze'i denpa} would work.

Another translation could be {e'o do ze'i xrukla vi}.

I also thought of:
{e'o mi'a ze'i djica lo nu sivtavla}
[Request] We [for a short time period] want to privately talk.

Both {ko tu'a mi ze'i denpa} and {.e'o do ze'i denpa} seem okay to me.

{.e'o do ze'i xrukla vi} — "please go back for a short time and at a short distance" ~ "please be such that, during a short time, at a short distance, you're going back".
I'm not quite sure what did you mean with this one sentence, but it isn't suitable for the original English sentence.
Maybe did you want {.e'o do ze'i zvada'o} — "please be away for a short duration"?

As for {.e'o mi'a ze'i djica lo nu sivytavla}, the way {.e'o} is usually used, it would mean "I request you that for a short time we want private-talking", in which "we want" seems misplaced.
I'd have said {.e'o mi'a ze'i sivycasnu} — "I request you that me-and-the-other(s) privatly talk to each other for a small duration" —, or {.e'o curmi lo nu mi'a ze'i sivycasnu}.

.a'o mi sidju
mi'e la .ilmen. mu'o

ravas

Dec 15, 2014, 3:50:35 PM12/15/14

On Monday, December 15, 2014 12:04:03 AM UTC-8, la gleki wrote:
or may be more precisely {e'o mi'a zukte ze'i} since the emphasis is on what we do, not they wait.

.ua ta frica

ki'esai .io

ravas

Dec 15, 2014, 3:57:17 PM12/15/14

On Monday, December 15, 2014 6:33:06 AM UTC-8, Ilmen wrote:
Lojban's morphophonology disallows a voiced stop/fricative consonant to
be adjacent to a voiceless consonant.

.i'o do pu ciksi

ravas

Dec 15, 2014, 4:07:05 PM12/15/14

On Monday, December 15, 2014 6:59:41 AM UTC-8, Ilmen wrote:
Both {ko tu'a mi ze'i denpa} and {.e'o do ze'i denpa} seem okay to me.

{.e'o do ze'i xrukla vi} — "please go back for a short time and at a short distance" ~ "please be such that, during a short time, at a short distance, you're going back".
I'm not quite sure what did you mean with this one sentence, but it isn't suitable for the original English sentence.
Maybe did you want {.e'o do ze'i zvada'o} — "please be away for a short duration"?

As for {.e'o mi'a ze'i djica lo nu sivytavla}, the way {.e'o} is usually used, it would mean "I request you that for a short time we want private-talking", in which "we want" seems misplaced.
I'd have said {.e'o mi'a ze'i sivycasnu} — "I request you that me-and-the-other(s) privatly talk to each other for a small duration" —, or {.e'o curmi lo nu mi'a ze'i sivycasnu}.

 How is {ko tu'a mi ze'i denpa} translated?

{.e'o do ze'i xrukla vi} was my attempt at:" I request that you return here after a short time span."
Does [vi] not work as [here]?

Thank you for the other examples!

.io

Ilmen

Dec 15, 2014, 5:09:35 PM12/15/14

On 15/12/2014 22:07, ravas wrote:
> How is {ko tu'a mi ze'i denpa} translated?
>
> {.e'o do ze'i xrukla vi} was my attempt at:" I request that you return
> here after a short time span."
> Does [vi] not work as [here]?

{ko tu'a mi ze'i denpa} = «[imperative] you, wait for me for a short time!».
{tu'a mi} ≈ "an event in which I'm involved" (more naturally translated
as "about me" or simply "me").

As for «I request that you return here after a short time span», this
would translate to {.e'o xrukla mi'a ba zi}, or {.e'o ba zi xrukla lo vi
stuzi}.

{vi X} means that the event described by the bridi happens at a short
distance (specified by X) from the reference location (probably the
speaker).
For example, {lo mlatu cu sipna vi} means "the event of [the cat is
sleeping] takes place nearby".
{ko vi xrukla} just means that you request that the event of the
addressee going back [to some unspecified place] happens nearby, which
isn't really the same thing as requesting that he/she goes back *to you*.

ravas

Dec 16, 2014, 12:40:59 AM12/16/14
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
ki'ecai .io