How to read aloud a pure-Lojban dictionary definition?

xabju

Jun 6, 2018, 1:53:34 AM6/6/18
to Lojban Beginners
.coi

I'm wondering how one would read this (or any definition) aloud in Lojban: "x1 klani x2 lo ka lo xo kau jdini be x3 ke ralju gradu cu vamji ce'u". How does one say "x1", "x2", and "x3"?

.io mi'e la xabju

Pierre Abbat

Jun 6, 2018, 3:46:20 AM6/6/18
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Here are two options:
*xy pa klani xy re li'o
*ko'a klani ko'e li'o
The second breaks down if there are more than ten places, at which point you
have to use "xi".

If there's an equals sign in the definition, you can read it as "goi":
xy pa goi fy pa finpe xy re goi fy re gi'e limna fi'o galtu xy ci goi my pa

mu'omi'e .piier.
--
sei do'anai mi'a djuno puze'e noroi nalselganse srera

Michael Turniansky

Jun 6, 2018, 9:29:50 AM6/6/18
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
    I would  personally read it as "xy boi xi pa..."

xabju

Jun 7, 2018, 2:42:32 PM6/7/18
to Lojban Beginners
Thank you both for answering my question.

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 3:45 AM, Pierre Abbat <ph...@bezitopo.org> wrote:
On Tuesday, 5 June 2018 22.44.45 EDT xabju wrote:
> .coi
>
> I'm wondering how one would read this (or any definition) aloud in Lojban:
> "x1 klani x2 lo ka lo xo kau jdini be x3 ke ralju gradu cu vamji ce'u". How
> does one say "x1", "x2", and "x3"?

Here are two options:
*xy pa klani xy re li'o
*ko'a klani ko'e li'o
The second breaks down if there are more than ten places, at which point you
have to use "xi".

If there's an equals sign in the definition, you can read it as "goi":
xy pa goi fy pa finpe xy re goi fy re gi'e limna fi'o galtu xy ci goi my pa

mu'omi'e .piier.
--
sei do'anai mi'a djuno puze'e noroi nalselganse srera

xabju

Jun 15, 2018, 9:39:20 PM6/15/18
to Lojban Beginners
I am now wondering how one should translate the following text (imagine it as being from a Lojban-English dictionary audiobook) into grammatical Lojban:

bacru: The word bacru means that "x1 utters verbally/says/phonates/speaks [vocally makes sound] x2." Its short rafsi is ba'u.

I've gotten this far, very tentatively

zo bacru .i zo bacru valsi la'e du'u ko'a cupra ko'e noi bangu sance ku'o lo'e nu pilno lo'e tavla rango be ko'e kei vau

(The italics are just for clarity for the purposes of this post.)

Gleki Arxokuna

Jun 17, 2018, 5:35:25 AM6/17/18
to Lojban Beginners
try filling places of {bridi} of {brisni}.

Ilmen

Jun 25, 2018, 7:21:34 AM6/25/18
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Traditionally those were read as {xy xi pa}, {xy xi re}, {xy xi ci} etc.
You can alternatively say {fa bu}, {fe bu}, {fi bu} and so on (this
method has seen some usage). Finally, you can also use {ce'u} in the
following way: {lo ka ce'u kampu ce'u cu ka ce'u se ckaji ro ce'u} —
"[x1 kampu x2] = [x1 se ckaji ro x2]".

—Ilmen.

xabju wrote :
---

uakci

Jun 25, 2018, 4:48:30 PM6/25/18
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Also there's the (experimental) {ka'ai} and {bo'a, bo'e, bo'i, bo'o, bo'u, bo'ai} cmavo. {ka'ai} is of selmaho NU and {bo'V} are the places.
So in this case you'd say (using the definition you provided):

i lo ka'ai bacru cu ka'ai bo'a cupra bo'e noi bangu sance ku'o lo'e nu pilno lo'e tavla rango be ko'e

But using experimental Lojban has its dangers, so I'd advise you to stick to something like:

i lo si'o bacru cu me la'e lo du'u xyxipa cupra xyxire noi bangu sance ku'o lo'e nu pulno lo'e tavla rango be ko'a

(As for the definition, {bacru} does *not* imply that the uttered sounds mean anything, so I'd correct that definition to:

x1 noi remna cu cupra x2 noi sance ku'o ve cu'u su'o da .)

— mi'e la uarnaikci