Is it possible to use be directly followed by bei?

0x90

Jul 14, 2016, 3:36:48 PM7/14/16
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible to use be directly followed by bei, indicating that the
sumti followed by be is omitted(=zo'e)? I know it is possible to do the
same with "be fi", but I think it sounds better. I think it should be
possible since the bei makes it obvious that the one between be and bai
was elided... However, no of the parsers I tried accepted this.

Ian Johnson

Jul 14, 2016, 3:56:00 PM7/14/16
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
The grammar won't let you do this, no. I'm not sure what's wrong with {be fi}, the syllable count is the same...

mi'e la latro'a mu'o

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 12:24 PM, 0x90 <emilw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is it possible to use be directly followed by bei, indicating that the sumti followed by be is omitted(=zo'e)? I know it is possible to do the same with "be fi", but I think it sounds better. I think it should be possible since the bei makes it obvious that the one between be and bai was elided... However, no of the parsers I tried accepted this.

Michael Turniansky

Jul 14, 2016, 4:00:04 PM7/14/16
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
  I think, from a strictly parsing perspective, I can see maybe one problem.  How would you parse the following:

  broda be lo brode be bei lo brodi?

  Is that (broda be (lo brode be bei lo brodi)) or
(broda be (lo brode be) bei brodi)?

  I think, by not having a definite end to the argument of a be, you open yourself open to questions like that.
           --gejyspa

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 12:24 PM, 0x90 <emilw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is it possible to use be directly followed by bei, indicating that the sumti followed by be is omitted(=zo'e)? I know it is possible to do the same with "be fi", but I think it sounds better. I think it should be possible since the bei makes it obvious that the one between be and bai was elided... However, no of the parsers I tried accepted this.

mezohe

Jul 14, 2016, 4:44:12 PM7/14/16
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Officially it isn't possible, but someone else proposed the same thing a
few years ago, and there's an experimental parser that accepts it:

http://lojban.github.io/ilmentufa/camxes-exp.html