what can be lenjo2 if not lo gusni?

Gleki Arxokuna

Oct 12, 2014, 3:27:04 AM10/12/14
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
ti lenjo lo gusni lo darno
This lens focusing light has a long focal length.

Correct?

Now what about lenjo2?

lenjo = x1 is a lens/glass [focussing shape/form] focussing x2 to focus/foci x3 by means/material x4. (adjective:) x1 is optical; focussing may be optical or otherwise, hence x2 which may be light, sound, X-ray, etc., default is light/optical lens; ka is refraction. See also kacma, minra.

Can it be other than {LE gusni}?

Bob LeChevalier, President and Founder - LLG

Oct 13, 2014, 12:48:53 AM10/13/14
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
consider the concepts of "prism" (which focuses different frequencies of
light in different foci, and "gravitational lens" (which can apply to
any sort of electromagnetic energy, not limited to light), "fresnel
lens", "diffraction" (especially atmospheric refraction/diffraction
which covers a variety of effects). Then there is the effects of the
atmospheric layers on radio signals, and the propagation of earthquake
waves and other sound through the earth.

What is (potentially or actually) refracted/diffracted by these various
things might or might not be conveyed using gusni. We were trying to
make a gismu that could be compounded in a variety of ways to handle a
wide range of phenomena.

This probably applies to a lot of other gismu that you've asked about.
Always think about what phenomena one might attempt to stretch the gismu
to cover, bearing in mind that when we created the gismu, the
expectation was that metaphorical/metonymical meanings would also crop
up, if not in the gismu themselves, in tanru and lujvo. We thus tried
to word the place structures as broadly and flexibly as possible,
expecting that usage would eventually refine what was acceptable (back
then, we were not expecting to baseline the place structures very early,
but the community overruled me on that).

lojbab

Gleki Arxokuna

Oct 13, 2014, 2:26:09 AM10/13/14
On 10/12/2014 3:27 AM, Gleki Arxokuna wrote:
[...]

i dont think gravitational lens is lens in only a metaphorical way but thank you for suggestion.

Sometimes it's hard to find everyday life examples for some places, in this cases I ask others. My goals is to find most common usage examples for most places.

would also crop up, if not in the gismu themselves, in tanru and lujvo.  We thus tried to word the place structures as broadly and flexibly as possible, expecting that usage would eventually refine what was acceptable (back then, we were not expecting to baseline the place structures very early, but the community overruled me on that).

lojbab

Pierre Abbat

Oct 14, 2014, 10:41:20 AM10/14/14
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Sound, as mentioned in the note. I've seen a drawing of a sound lens
consisting of a block of one material (metal?) with a nearly hemispherical
hole on the face filled with another material (water?).

Pierre
--
.i toljundi do .ibabo mi'afra tu'a do
.ibabo damba do .ibabo do jinga

Gleki Arxokuna

Oct 14, 2014, 11:54:48 AM10/14/14
On Sunday, October 12, 2014 11:27:03 Gleki Arxokuna wrote:
> ti lenjo lo gusni lo darno
> This lens focusing light has a long focal length.
>
> Correct?
>
> Now what about lenjo2?
>
> lenjo = x1 is a lens/glass [focussing shape/form] focussing x2 to
> focus/foci x3 by means/material x4. (adjective:) x1 is optical; focussing
> may be optical or otherwise, hence x2 which may be light, sound, X-ray,
> etc., default is light/optical lens; ka is refraction. See also kacma,
> minra.
>
> Can it be other than {LE gusni}?

Sound, as mentioned in the note.

Well, sorry. In fact I want any everyday life examples of {lenjo be lo na'e gusni}.

I've seen a drawing of a sound lens
consisting of a block of one material (metal?) with a nearly hemispherical
hole on the face filled with another material (water?).

Pierre
--
.i toljundi do .ibabo mi'afra tu'a do
.ibabo damba do .ibabo do jinga
.icu'u la ma'atman.

Michael Turniansky

Jan 12, 2015, 3:37:43 PM1/12/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
  Well, isn't a parabolic microphone a sance lenjo?
  And radiotelescopes are selcradi lenjo, similarly

            --gejyspa