jbovlaste definitions

Timothy Lawrence

Jul 2, 2015, 8:19:36 AM7/2/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
coi ro do

Is this valid: "coi .i do sanji mo"?

I was looking up words on http://jbovlaste.lojban.org/ and there was no definition for "and" in English.

I also got the following:

No definitions found for "thing"
No definitions found for "something"
No definitions found for "fun"
No definitions found for "solve"
No definitions found for "fix"
No definitions found for "hum"
No definitions found for "biped"
No definitions found for "fungi"
No definitions found for "fungus"
No definitions found for "mycelium"

I was wondering if anyone could fill these in for me.

Recently, jbovlaste has had a lot of connection problems when I try to connect (the lojban.org site itself, too). Currently I cannot connect to either. Is there a local app version of jbovlaste?

Thanks :)

Robert Slaughter

Jul 2, 2015, 8:25:44 AM7/2/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
There is not 'a' definition of 'and' - there are at least a half-dozen to a dozen different words that cover the different types of 'and'. All of which are cmavo, none of which are gismu/lujvo, so they probably are not in jbovlaste.

----
Bob Slaughter
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." -- Plato
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -- Edmund Burke
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." -- Albert Einstein

Gleki Arxokuna

Jul 2, 2015, 9:30:31 AM7/2/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
coi ro do

Is this valid: "coi .i do sanji mo"?

I was looking up words on http://jbovlaste.lojban.org/ and there was no definition for "and" in English.

Is it a question about jbovlaste, i.e. that it is confusing in not providing lojban translations of english words?
or you jsut want to know how to say "and" in Lojban?
The first question is a well known limitation of jbovlaste in being mostly a Lojban to "another language" dictionary interface.
I'm solving this issue by providing an English to Lojban dictionary:

As for "and" most often words for it are {ce} and {e}.

mi ce do casnu lo mlatu = I and you discuss cats (i.e. we discuss it with each other)

mi e do casnu lo mlatu = I and you discuss cats. I  other words, I discuss cats, and you discuss cats. Maybe, separately, i.e. with different people.

In some dialects instead of {ce} you may use {jo'u}, instead of {e} you may use {je}.

As for the most standard dialect of Lojban the CLL, chapter 14 logical connectives are explained in full.

I also got the following:

No definitions found for "thing"
because it has many meanings in English. {lo dacti} is "thing", an object.

No definitions found for "something"

again {lo dacti}, or {da} or {zo'e}

No definitions found for "fun"
No definitions found for "solve"
No definitions found for "fix"
No definitions found for "hum"
No definitions found for "biped"
No definitions found for "fungi"
No definitions found for "fungus"
No definitions found for "mycelium"

I was wondering if anyone could fill these in for me.

well, okay. i will add them to my todo list.

Recently, jbovlaste has had a lot of connection problems when I try to connect (the lojban.org site itself, too). Currently I cannot connect to either. Is there a local app version of jbovlaste?

Gleki Arxokuna

Jul 2, 2015, 9:31:55 AM7/2/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
There is not 'a' definition of 'and' - there are at least a half-dozen to a dozen different words that cover the different types of 'and'. All of which are cmavo, none of which are gismu/lujvo, so they probably are not in jbovlaste.

all official cmavo and gismu are in jbovlaste.

Pierre Abbat

Jul 2, 2015, 9:40:28 AM7/2/15
On Thursday, July 02, 2015 12:19:33 Timothy Lawrence wrote:
> coi ro do
>
> Is this valid: "coi .i do sanji mo"?

Yes, but is "you are a conscious what?" what you mean?

> I was looking up words on http://jbovlaste.lojban.org/ and there was no
> definition for "and" in English.

Depends on what you're connecting. e, je, gi'e, ge, joi, jo'u, fa'u, and even
ku'a (e.g. Trade and Tryon is in the middle of Charlotte).

> I also got the following:
>
> No definitions found for "thing"

dacti

> No definitions found for "something"

da; zo'e; lo comdaidza (thingamajig)

> No definitions found for "fun"

Adjective or noun?
zdile

> No definitions found for "solve"

dafyfa'i?

> No definitions found for "fix"

cikre (not to be confused with "ckire" which is "thank")

> No definitions found for "hum"

I've thought of "zumbire" or something similar, but I don't know that anyone's
entered a word for it.

> No definitions found for "biped"

relseljma

> No definitions found for "fungi"
> No definitions found for "fungus"

mledi

> No definitions found for "mycelium"

As an example of juncture, I came up with "ledycilta" for "hypha". If you
stress the 'y' or put a pause after it, it becomes "le dy cilta".

> I was wondering if anyone could fill these in for me.
>
> Recently, jbovlaste has had a lot of connection problems when I try to
> connect (the lojban.org site itself, too). Currently I cannot connect to
> either. Is there a local app version of jbovlaste?

In irc.lojban.org:#lojban, there's a bot called mensi that you can ask.

Pierre
--
loi mintu se ckaji danlu cu jmaji

Gleki Arxokuna

Jul 2, 2015, 9:50:57 AM7/2/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com

In irc.lojban.org:#lojban, there's a bot called mensi that you can ask.

Ilmen

Jul 2, 2015, 9:52:02 AM7/2/15

On 02/07/2015 15:40, Pierre Abbat wrote:
>> No definitions found for "something"
> da; zo'e; lo comdaidza (thingamajig)
There is {comco'e} for "thingamajig".

mi'e la .ilmen. mu'o

Timothy Lawrence

Jul 2, 2015, 10:44:14 PM7/2/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com

Sent: Thursday, 2 July 2015 11:29 PM

coi ro do

Is this valid: "coi .i do sanji mo"?

I was looking up words on http://jbovlaste.lojban.org/ and there was no definition for "and" in English.

Is it a question about jbovlaste, i.e. that it is confusing in not providing lojban translations of english words?

Yes.

or you jsut want to know how to say "and" in Lojban?

Yes also.
At the moment, I am trying to translate "Jack and the Beanstalk" (just that sentence, not the whole story) and I currently have "la djak. (ce?) lo se dembi stani". I'm still not quite sure which "and" to use.

The first question is a well known limitation of jbovlaste in being mostly a Lojban to "another language" dictionary interface.

Its main page does say "English or lojban words: [Search]" so it does seem to be an English to Lojban dictionary. If it's not intended to be, it'd be good if it said so and included a link to one.

I'm solving this issue by providing an English to Lojban dictionary:

As for "and" most often words for it are {ce} and {e}.

mi ce do casnu lo mlatu = I and you discuss cats (i.e. we discuss it with each other)

mi e do casnu lo mlatu = I and you discuss cats. I  other words, I discuss cats, and you discuss cats. Maybe, separately, i.e. with different people.

In some dialects instead of {ce} you may use {jo'u}, instead of {e} you may use {je}.

​Having nonstandard dialects (if the dialect is changing the language rather than extending it) seems to thwart the unambiguity of the language. How would I know which dialect is being used? I want to learn "standard" Lojban.

As for the most standard dialect of Lojban the CLL, chapter 14 logical connectives are explained in full.

"If Wishes Were Horses"? I can't really follow that chapter very easily. Is there another summary that has all the "normal" uses?

I also got the following:

No definitions found for "thing"
because it has many meanings in English. {lo dacti} is "thing", an object.

I expected to find many entries rather than no entries, just as with "and".
For example, "medium" currently has many entries saying "in the sense of..." (although I think that is missing "in the sense of 'average'" for English).

No definitions found for "something"

again {lo dacti}, or {da} or {zo'e}

No definitions found for "fun"
No definitions found for "solve"
No definitions found for "fix"
No definitions found for "hum"
No definitions found for "biped"
No definitions found for "fungi"
No definitions found for "fungus"
No definitions found for "mycelium"

I was wondering if anyone could fill these in for me.

well, okay. i will add them to my todo list.

Thank you :)

Timothy Lawrence

Jul 2, 2015, 10:51:02 PM7/2/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com

I was trying to ask "what do you perceive/discern?" or "what are you conscious/aware of?"

Gleki Arxokuna

Jul 3, 2015, 2:04:50 AM7/3/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com

Sent: Thursday, 2 July 2015 11:29 PM

coi ro do

Is this valid: "coi .i do sanji mo"?

I was looking up words on http://jbovlaste.lojban.org/ and there was no definition for "and" in English.

Is it a question about jbovlaste, i.e. that it is confusing in not providing lojban translations of english words?

Yes.

or you jsut want to know how to say "and" in Lojban?

Yes also.
At the moment, I am trying to translate "Jack and the Beanstalk" (just that sentence, not the whole story) and I currently have "la djak. (ce?) lo se dembi stani". I'm still not quite sure which "and" to use.
I'm not sure either since i dont know the context. Likewise, one cannot translate "left" into Lojban because it has at least two meanings ("turn to the left" and "no sugar left").
But I suppose {la djak ce lo se dembi stani} is fine (Jack together with the Beanstalk).

The first question is a well known limitation of jbovlaste in being mostly a Lojban to "another language" dictionary interface.

Its main page does say "English or lojban words: [Search]" so it does seem to be an English to Lojban dictionary. If it's not intended to be, it'd be good if it said so and included a link to one.

jbovlaste is a Lojban to English (or to other languages) interface.
It has certain  limitations since e.g. some English words can be translated as a group of Lojban words which jbovlaste currently is unable of.

I'm solving this issue by providing an English to Lojban dictionary:

As for "and" most often words for it are {ce} and {e}.

mi ce do casnu lo mlatu = I and you discuss cats (i.e. we discuss it with each other)

mi e do casnu lo mlatu = I and you discuss cats. I  other words, I discuss cats, and you discuss cats. Maybe, separately, i.e. with different people.

In some dialects instead of {ce} you may use {jo'u}, instead of {e} you may use {je}.

​Having nonstandard dialects (if the dialect is changing the language rather than extending it) seems to thwart the unambiguity of the language. How would I know which dialect is being used?

There is no ambiguity arising. CLL recommends {joi}, many people use {jo'u}, {ce} is also fine. The meaning is preserved.
But using {e} or {je} in that place has the second meaning.

I want to learn "standard" Lojban.

As for the most standard dialect of Lojban the CLL, chapter 14 logical connectives are explained in full.

"If Wishes Were Horses"? I can't really follow that chapter very easily. Is there another summary that has all the "normal" uses?

Do you still have any questions on these connectives related to what you want to translate?

I also got the following:

No definitions found for "thing"
because it has many meanings in English. {lo dacti} is "thing", an object.

I expected to find many entries rather than no entries, just as with "and".
For example, "medium" currently has many entries saying "in the sense of..." (although I think that is missing "in the sense of 'average'" for English).

It's a good point.

No definitions found for "something"

again {lo dacti}, or {da} or {zo'e}

No definitions found for "fun"
No definitions found for "solve"
No definitions found for "fix"
No definitions found for "hum"
No definitions found for "biped"
No definitions found for "fungi"
No definitions found for "fungus"
No definitions found for "mycelium"

I was wondering if anyone could fill these in for me.

well, okay. i will add them to my todo list.

Thank you :)

Recently, jbovlaste has had a lot of connection problems when I try to connect (the lojban.org site itself, too). Currently I cannot connect to either. Is there a local app version of jbovlaste?

Thanks :)

Timothy Lawrence

Jul 3, 2015, 2:49:10 AM7/3/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com

From: Gleki Arxokuna <gleki.is...@gmail.com

At the moment, I am trying to translate "Jack and the Beanstalk" (just that sentence, not the whole story) and I currently have "la djak. (ce?) lo se dembi stani". I'm still not quite sure which "and" to use.
I'm not sure either since i dont know the context. Likewise, one cannot translate "left" into Lojban because it has at least two meanings ("turn to the left" and "no sugar left").
But I suppose {la djak ce lo se dembi stani} is fine (Jack together with the Beanstalk).

There's probably no context as it is the title of a story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_and_the_Beanstalk

Gleki Arxokuna

Jul 3, 2015, 3:51:54 AM7/3/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
do ganse ma

or "what are you conscious/aware of?"

do sanji ma

Gleki Arxokuna

Jul 3, 2015, 4:08:45 AM7/3/15
[...]

"mycelium" and "hum" are not added, though since those are too specific (this English to Lojban dictionary is meant to represent only basic words).

Recently, jbovlaste has had a lot of connection problems when I try to connect (the lojban.org site itself, too). Currently I cannot connect to either. Is there a local app version of jbovlaste?

Thanks :)

Gleki Arxokuna

Jul 3, 2015, 4:12:34 AM7/3/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, July 02, 2015 12:19:33 Timothy Lawrence wrote:
> coi ro do
>
> Is this valid: "coi .i do sanji mo"?

Yes, but is "you are a conscious what?" what you mean?

> I was looking up words on http://jbovlaste.lojban.org/ and there was no
> definition for "and" in English.

Depends on what you're connecting. e, je, gi'e, ge, joi, jo'u, fa'u, and even
ku'a (e.g. Trade and Tryon is in the middle of Charlotte).

> I also got the following:
>
> No definitions found for "thing"

dacti

> No definitions found for "something"

da; zo'e; lo comdaidza (thingamajig)

> No definitions found for "fun"

Adjective or noun?
zdile

> No definitions found for "solve"

dafyfa'i?

> No definitions found for "fix"

cikre (not to be confused with "ckire" which is "thank")

> No definitions found for "hum"

I've thought of "zumbire" or something similar, but I don't know that anyone's
entered a word for it.

What meaning of "hum" is use here? "A hummed tune, i.e. created orally with lips closed"?

> No definitions found for "biped"

relseljma

> No definitions found for "fungi"
> No definitions found for "fungus"

mledi

> No definitions found for "mycelium"

As an example of juncture, I came up with "ledycilta" for "hypha". If you
stress the 'y' or put a pause after it, it becomes "le dy cilta".

> I was wondering if anyone could fill these in for me.
>
> Recently, jbovlaste has had a lot of connection problems when I try to
> connect (the lojban.org site itself, too). Currently I cannot connect to
> either. Is there a local app version of jbovlaste?

In irc.lojban.org:#lojban, there's a bot called mensi that you can ask.

Pierre
--
loi mintu se ckaji danlu cu jmaji

Timothy Lawrence

Jul 3, 2015, 7:49:35 AM7/3/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com

> > On Thursday, July 02, 2015 12:19:33 Timothy Lawrence wrote:
> >
> > Is this valid: "coi .i do sanji mo"?
> Yes, but is "you are a conscious what?" what you mean?

I was trying to ask "what do you perceive/discern?"

do ganse ma

or "what are you conscious/aware of?"

do sanji ma

"ma" of course. Thanks :)

Yes I think I meant sanji for this case, as jbovlaste says the "awareness implies some amount of mental processing above and beyond mere sensory detection, and may also be applied to mental relationships that are not detected by the senses"

Pierre Abbat

Jul 5, 2015, 3:58:06 PM7/5/15
On Friday, July 03, 2015 11:11:54 Gleki Arxokuna wrote:
> > I've thought of "zumbire" or something similar, but I don't know that
> > anyone's
> > entered a word for it.
>
> What meaning of "hum" is use here? "A hummed tune, i.e. created orally with
> lips closed"?

That would be "zbisa'a" or "vlacausa'a". I was thinking of a humming or
buzzing sound. Another possible word is "zamzumi".

Pierre
--
Don't buy a French car in Holland. It may be a citroen.

Gleki Arxokuna

Jul 6, 2015, 2:08:33 AM7/6/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, July 03, 2015 11:11:54 Gleki Arxokuna wrote:
> > I've thought of "zumbire" or something similar, but I don't know that
> > anyone's
> > entered a word for it.
>
> What meaning of "hum" is use here? "A hummed tune, i.e. created orally with
> lips closed"?

That would be "zbisa'a" or "vlacausa'a". I was thinking of a humming or
buzzing sound. Another possible word is "zamzumi".

e'o do jmina fi la jbovlaste fe lo mapti valsi ba'e e lo za'e gloso valsi

Pierre
--
Don't buy a French car in Holland. It may be a citroen.