A suggestion for the Lojban names of weekdays and months.

Jonathan Jones

Oct 5, 2010, 10:54:39 PM10/5/10
to loj...@googlegroups.com, lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
(I'm double-posting this to both lojban lists, please respond on the beginner's.)
-----
Days:
-----

A discussion about the names of the weekdays was recently held in the thread "[lojban] la za'e filjvocedra (The Age of Easy Lujvo)", about the pros and cons of the two current methods of naming the days of the week - one based on numbers, the other on concepts. {pavdei} "1-day" = {lurdei} "moon-day", to provide an example.

In this discussion, .xorxes. pointed out that the current number method is anti-intuitive, because it seems as though, for example {mumdei} would mean "five days", not "fifth day". As corollary, he pointed out two examples: {reljeftu}, "fortnight", and {mumymentu}, "five minutes". To quote him, "[T]he place structure of {djedi} screams for 'N-dei' to mean {djedi be li N}, not {djedi me'e li N}."

Personally, I found this to be a very convincing argument against the use of {pavdei} et al. as names of weekdays. It is also, if I am correct, his main reason for preferring the concept way.

I, on the other hand, do not like the concept method, for the simple reason that I really, really like having a systematic method, and that is anything but. After more discussion, I came up with the following, which is agreeable to both .xorxes. and me.

It's actually basically the exact same thing as {pavdei}, etc., except backwards. So, they would be:

{djeno} "0-day"/{djeze} "7-day" = Sunday
{djepa} "1-day" = Monday
{djere} "2-day" = Tuesday
{djeci} "3-day" = Wednesday
{djevo} "4-day" = Thursday
{djemu} "5-day" = Friday
{djexa} "6-day" = Saturday

All eight of the above words have the exact same meaning as both current methods: "x1 is a [weekday name] of week x2 in month x3"

The benefits of this method are that it is logical, systematic, and doesn't conflict with spans (as in {mumdei} = "a five day span").

The con is, obviously, they take up 8 spots in gismu space, which may or may not be an atrocity, depending on your viewpoint.

-----
Months:
-----

Through further discussion, we have also come up with a really good method for month-naming. Currently, the only Lojban words we have for the months are cmevla, i.e. {.pamast.}, {.remast.}, etc. .xorxes. came up with a really good alternative, similar to my idea with the weeks, for each of the months, which are the following fu'ivla, based around {lunra}:

{lunrapa} "1-month" = January
{lunrare} "2-month" = February
{lunraci} "3-month" = March
{lunravo} "4-month" = April
{lunramu} "5-month" = May
{lunraxa} "6-month" = June
{lunraze} "7-month" = July
{lunrabi} "8-month" = August
{lunraso} "9-month" = September
{lunradau} "10-month" = October
{lunrafei} "11-month" = November
{lunragai} "12-month" = December

This has the advantage over the current cmevla method in that, being fu'ivla, we can give them place structure and use them in all the ways cmene can NOT be used. I don't see any cons at all, but I may be mistaken.

Since it is .xorxes. idea, I direct you to him for the proposed definitions, although I'm certain that it will begin "x1 is month N ...."

-----

In conclusion, it is my desire to inform the whole of jbogugde about these ideas and to get feedback , and to possibly confuse you lot to start using them whenever you are talking about days of the week or about months.

Feedback, suggestions, criticisms, praise, and flaming are all welcome and appreciated. :D

(I'm double-posting this to both lojban lists, please respond on the beginner's.)

--
mu'o mi'e .aionys.

.i.a'o.e'e ko cmima le bende pe lo pilno be denpa bu .i doi luk. mi patfu do zo'o
(Come to the Dot Side! Luke, I am your father. :D )

Luke Bergen

Oct 5, 2010, 11:27:52 PM10/5/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
I like it.  My only comment is, what's wrong with cmevla?  Why not make them .djepav. etc...  Given xorxes' other proposal about merging cmevla into brivla, this wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing (assuming that I understand his other proposal well enough) and it wouldn't be infringing on the gismu space (not that I'm all that uncomfortable with that).

Jonathan Jones

Oct 5, 2010, 11:36:24 PM10/5/10
On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Luke Bergen <lukea...@gmail.com> wrote:
I like it.  My only comment is, what's wrong with cmevla?  Why not make them .djepav. etc...  Given xorxes' other proposal about merging cmevla into brivla, this wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing (assuming that I understand his other proposal well enough) and it wouldn't be infringing on the gismu space (not that I'm all that uncomfortable with that).

No reason other than it depends on .xorxes. proposal being approved. Actually, I'm ambivalent about {.djepav.} et al. over {djepa} et al.; as far as I'm concerned they're equivalent, especially in consideration of .xorxes. proposal to merge cmevla with brivla. But, unless and until .xorxes. merger proposal is accepted, cmevla can't have definitions like "{.djepav.} = 'x1 is a Monday of week x2 in month x3'", because as it stands, all cmevla have the same meaning, excepting the tiny detail of what the name is.

However, I don't think using {.djepav.} instead is really all that great a benefit, because if we use it, and then for some reason decide to create a meaning for {djepa}, and it doesn't have anything to do with {.djepav.}, I'm certain massive confusions will arise from it.

Jonathan Jones

Oct 6, 2010, 1:33:57 AM10/6/10
to loj...@googlegroups.com, lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Jonathan Jones <eye...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

In conclusion, it is my desire to inform the whole of jbogugde about these ideas and to get feedback , and to possibly confuse you lot to start using them whenever you are talking about days of the week or about months.
<snip>

Um, I just noticed this, so forgive me, I meant to say "convince you lot", not "confuse you lot".

Lindar

Oct 6, 2010, 2:15:27 AM10/6/10
to Lojban Beginners
As grand as all of this is, I would have to say hell no.

To take up that many spaces for named days of the week?

Also, xorxes' suggested merge of cmeva and brivla doesn't seem likely.

Why not {pavmomdei}? We already have {bavlamdei} and {prulamdei} so
another three-rafsi lujvo isn't that terrible.

I can appreciate that you found the fault in the current scheme, but
your proposal is a terrible idea.

The zi'evla for the months, not so much. I think it's kinda cool.

Really, the whole idea behind the proposal is pretty cool.

However, you'll never get a proposal passed for -that much- gismu
space for something that ridiculous.

{prudei} - a previous day
{prulamdei} - yesterday
{cabdei} - today
{bavlamdei} - tomorrow
{bavdei} - a future day

nonmomdei
pavmomdei
relmomdei
cibmomdei
vonmomdei
mumymomdei
xavmomdei
zelmomdei

or even...

djenonmoi
djepavmoi
djerelmoi
djecibmoi
djevonmoi
djemomymoi
djezelmoi

Remo Dentato

Oct 6, 2010, 2:21:01 AM10/6/10
to lojban-beginners
On Wednesday, October 6, 2010, Jonathan Jones <eye...@gmail.com> wrote:

> -----
> Days:
> -----
> {djeNN}
I like it. giving a gismu-like name to weekdays seems more a good
thing thana bad thing to me!

> -----
> Months:
> -----
>months [...] are the following fu'ivla, based around {lunra}:

The only doubt that I have about using {lunra} is that it may suggest
a lunar calendar wih 28, 29 or 30 days months plus some extra day here
and there like it happens today for some culture. unfortunately I have
no alternative suggestion.

remod

Remo Dentato

Oct 6, 2010, 2:46:18 AM10/6/10
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 8:15 AM, Lindar <lindar...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> As grand as all of this is, I would have to say hell no.
>
> To take up that many spaces for named days of the week?

I don't think is very likely to create new gismu these days. And even
if we were doing that, those would be too similar gismu to be used for
different meanings (I seem to remember that this was one of the
criteria when gisum were chosen).

So, i don't see this as a major showstopper for the proposal.

remod

David Gowers (kampu)

Oct 6, 2010, 3:37:39 AM10/6/10
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Remo Dentato <rden...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 8:15 AM, Lindar <lindar...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> As grand as all of this is, I would have to say hell no.
>>
>> To take up that many spaces for named days of the week?
>
> I don't think is very likely to create new gismu these days. And even
> if we were doing that, those would be too similar gismu to be used for
> different meanings (I seem to remember that this was one of the
> criteria when gisum were chosen).

cf [[badna, badri],
[bakni, bakfu, bakri],
[balji, balni, balre, balvi],
[bancu, bandu, banfi, bangu, banli, banxa, banzu], (!)
[barda, bargu, barja, barna, bartu],
[basna, basti],
[batci, batke]]

(and that is just for 'b'!)

Remo Dentato

Oct 6, 2010, 4:05:47 AM10/6/10
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 9:37 AM, David Gowers (kampu) <00a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Remo Dentato <rden...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 8:15 AM, Lindar <lindar...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> As grand as all of this is, I would have to say hell no.
>>>
>>> To take up that many spaces for named days of the week?
>>
>> I don't think is very likely to create new gismu these days. And even
>> if we were doing that, those would be too similar gismu to be used for
>> different meanings (I seem to remember that this was one of the
>> criteria when gisum were chosen).
>
> cf [[badna, badri],
> [..]

> [batci, batke]]
>
> (and that is just for 'b'!)

Ok, point taken.

But still the probability of making new gismu these day (and in the
foreseeable future) seems low to me.

Lindar

Oct 6, 2010, 4:29:58 AM10/6/10
to Lojban Beginners
Either way, the point still stands. xorxes' proposal is likely to
continue to be ignored. Your proposal to take up eight places in gismu
space for days of the week will be shot down. Unless you can format
your argument entirely in very understandable Lojban, you're not going
to get even one word into gismu space. It's just not going to happen.

So, you can either go with my suggestion, use the current standard, or
go with something like what selkik has proposed in another thread.
That's pretty much what you're down to.

MorphemeAddict

Oct 6, 2010, 5:03:32 AM10/6/10
On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:54 PM, Jonathan Jones <eye...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Rather than create several similar gismu with almost identical meanings, why not just create lujvo with "zei"? That's what "zei" is for, right?

djedi zei no/djedi zei ze = Sunday
djedi zei pa = Monday
djedi zei re = Tuesday
djedi zei ci = Wednesday
djedi zei vo = Thursday
djedi zei mu = Friday
djedi zei xa = Saturday

-----
Months:
-----

[...]

Here I see no reason to use "lunra" when "masti" is available. Using "zei" as above, we get

masti zei pa = January
masti zei re = February
masti zei ci = March
masti zei vo = April
masti zei mu = May
masti zei xa = June
masti zei ze = July
masti zei bi = August
masti zei so = September
masti zei pano / masti zei dau = October
masti zei papa / masti zei fei = November
masti zei pare / masti zei gai = December

How's that?

stevo

In conclusion, it is my desire to inform the whole of jbogugde about these ideas and to get feedback , and to possibly confuse you lot to start using them whenever you are talking about days of the week or about months.

Feedback, suggestions, criticisms, praise, and flaming are all welcome and appreciated. :D

(I'm double-posting this to both lojban lists, please respond on the beginner's.)

--
mu'o mi'e .aionys.

.i.a'o.e'e ko cmima le bende pe lo pilno be denpa bu .i doi luk. mi patfu do zo'o
(Come to the Dot Side! Luke, I am your father. :D )

Remo Dentato

Oct 6, 2010, 7:57:18 AM10/6/10
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Lindar <lindar...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Your proposal to take up eight places in gismu
> space for days of the week will be shot down. [...]

> That's pretty much what you're down to.

I love your accomodating, open-ended way of offering suggestions :)

btw, Why not try to take advantage of the good points on xorxes proposal?

What if we use:

{djenon} "0-day"/{djezel} "7-day" = Sunday
{djepav} "1-day" = Monday
{djerel} "2-day" = Tuesday
{djecib} "3-day" = Wednesday
{djevon} "4-day" = Thursday
{djemum} "5-day" = Friday
{djexav} "6-day" = Saturday

?

They are cmene obtained with {dje-} for {djedi} and the rafsi for the number.

Jorge Llambías

Oct 6, 2010, 8:59:45 AM10/6/10
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 3:15 AM, Lindar <lindar...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Why not {pavmomdei}? We already have {bavlamdei} and {prulamdei} so
> another three-rafsi lujvo isn't that terrible.

One possible issue with ordinals is the potential for confusion
between first of the week and first of the month, or even first of the
year. That may or may not be a problem, but since numbers are already
used to name days according to their position in the month, using
numbers to also name them according to their position in the week has
to be done carefully so that the two systems don't enter into
conflict.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

Jorge Llambías

Oct 6, 2010, 9:04:10 AM10/6/10
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 6:03 AM, MorphemeAddict <lyt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:54 PM, Jonathan Jones <eye...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> {lunrapa} "1-month" = January
>> {lunrare} "2-month" = February
>> {lunraci} "3-month" = March
>> {lunravo} "4-month" = April
>> {lunramu} "5-month" = May
>> {lunraxa} "6-month" = June
>> {lunraze} "7-month" = July
>> {lunrabi} "8-month" = August
>> {lunraso} "9-month" = September
>> {lunradau} "10-month" = October
>> {lunrafei} "11-month" = November
>> {lunragai} "12-month" = December
>>
> Here I see no reason to use "lunra" when "masti" is available.

"masti" wouldn't work there because "st" is a valid initial, so
"mastipa" = "ma stipa".

> Using "zei" as above, we get
>
> masti zei pa = January
> masti zei re = February
> masti zei ci = March
> masti zei vo = April
> masti zei mu = May
> masti zei xa = June
> masti zei ze = July
> masti zei bi = August
> masti zei so = September
> masti zei pano / masti zei dau = October
> masti zei papa / masti zei fei = November
> masti zei pare / masti zei gai = December
>
> How's that?

You need:

masti zei pa zei no
masti zei pa zei pa
masti zei pa zei re

Remo Dentato

Oct 6, 2010, 10:16:24 AM10/6/10
2010/10/6 Jorge Llambías <jjlla...@gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 6:03 AM, MorphemeAddict <lyt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:54 PM, Jonathan Jones <eye...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here I see no reason to use "lunra" when "masti" is available.
>
> "masti" wouldn't work there because "st" is a valid initial, so
> "mastipa" = "ma stipa".

If having cmene for months and days names would work (I'm not clear if
there's any problem with that) we could have {ma'ipav} for January and
so on up to {ma'igaib} ('b' added arbitrarily) or {ma'iparel} for
December.

Is there any problem on having a cmene rather than a brivla? After all
it's what January is: a name.

Remo

Remo Dentato

Oct 6, 2010, 10:24:20 AM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
BTW we are talking about the Gregorian Calendar, right?

I always thought that Lojbanistan was using International Fixed
Calendar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Fixed_Calendar)
for cultural neutrality!

:)

Jorge Llambías

Oct 6, 2010, 11:29:55 AM10/6/10
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Remo Dentato <rden...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If having cmene for months and days names would work (I'm not clear if
> there's any problem with that) we could have {ma'ipav} for January and
> so on up to {ma'igaib} ('b' added arbitrarily) or {ma'iparel} for
> December.

We already have pamast, remast, cimast, etc as cmevla. The thing with
cmevla is their artificially restricted grammar, so I can't use "la
.cimast. cicyractu" for "the March Hare" in Alice, and I refuse to use
"la me la .cimast. cicyractu".

(I currently have "la cibymasti cicyractu", but to me that sounds more
like "the Three Months Old Hare".)

> Is there any problem on having a cmene rather than a brivla? After all
> it's what January is: a name.

It would be much less of a problem if cmevla were syntactically more flexible.

Amber Shadow

Oct 6, 2010, 1:21:07 AM10/6/10
to Lojban Beginners
I am extremely for this idea. I'm a system freak, and think that this
way will fit lojban much better than the concept (japanese, chinese)
way, as well as being easy to remember and learn.
I personally like how it sounds ending in a vowel myself, but that's
just my opinion.
I also think it's brilliant to use {lunra} for the months. Because,
well, it makes sense. You say {djepa} and you know oh, it's {day-1}.
You say {lunrapa} and you know oh, it's {moon-[cycle]-1}. It just
makes sense. To me at least.
In short, I like it! Do it!

On Oct 5, 8:36 pm, Jonathan Jones <eyeo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> .
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/lojban-beginners?hl=en.
>
> >  --
> > .

Michael Eaton

Oct 6, 2010, 5:35:52 AM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Regardless of whether of not the use of gismu space is allowed, I don't really see any truly compelling reason why it shouldn't. The ability to accurately and clearly define a specific day of the week is a not entirely inconsequential function of language, and, regardless of who you are, it IS a part of your everyday communication. The difference between being able to say 'tuesday', as opposed to having to say 'the day two days after the next day', is not one to be overlooked.

As far as the existing standards for naming / numbering days go, the 'numeric' standard, as rightly pointed out, can cause some syntax issues, though these are slight and not amazingly difficult to work around, while the 'conceptual' standard is rather un-lojban in approach, being far less intuitive than a numbered system.

As for alternatives proposed in this very thread, would you really rather use, for instance, a fairly wieldy lujvo for so simple a concept as days of the week?

I'm not saying that days of the week SHOULD take up gismu space, nor am I saying that they will, I'm merely pointing out that the alternatives come with their own problems, and the use of gismu space would hardly be the travesty it is being made out to be.

Either way, the point still stands. xorxes' proposal is likely to

continue to be ignored. Your proposal to take up eight places in gismu

space for days of the week will be shot down. Unless you can format
your argument entirely in very understandable Lojban, you're not going
to get even one word into gismu space. It's just not going to happen.

So, you can either go with my suggestion, use the current standard, or
go with something like what selkik has proposed in another thread.

That's pretty much what you're down to.

http://www.blackpool.gov.uk/EmailDisclaimer/
This message has been scanned for inappropriate or malicious content as part of the Council's e-mail and Internet policies.

http://www.blackpool.gov.uk/EmailDisclaimer/
This message has been scanned for inappropriate or malicious content as part of the Council's e-mail and Internet policies.

******************************************************************************See the Blackpool You Tube video aimed at attracting French visitors by clicking this link http://www.visitblackpool.com/jetaime ******************************************************************************

Ruler11

Oct 6, 2010, 11:08:33 AM10/6/10
to Lojban Beginners
"lunra" is for lunar calendar. Not a good idea. Yea, that's cute
indeed. But "masti" is the only possible valsi.

Can't accept it.

.alyn.post.

Oct 6, 2010, 11:45:05 AM10/6/10
On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 11:15:27PM -0700, Lindar wrote:
> However, you'll never get a proposal passed for -that much- gismu
> space for something that ridiculous.

Lindar,

So that I might better understand, what kind of proposal would be
insufficiently ridiculous for proposing 7 gismu? I'd like to better
understand what is and isn't a worthly proposal for adding gismu,
outside of this specific proposal to add 7 gismu for days of the
week.

-Alan
--
.i ko djuno fi le do sevzi

Luke Bergen

Oct 6, 2010, 11:56:06 AM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Personally, the more I think about it, the more I'm loving gejyspa's skadei suggestion.  <after typing out a long paragraph with sentences starting with "additionally" and "also" etc... I've opted for bullets>
  • It has the sequential nature that a rational logical system should have.
  • It's very flexible for different calendars to invent new day words without necessarily conflicting with other calendars by adding more fine grained color words for more days to a week or more broad color words for fewer days.
  • It completely avoids the problem that xorxes pointed out of colliding with the Nday long periods system.
  • I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would make sense for xundei, et al so not likely to collide with future lujvo.
  • Don't need to worry about cmevla vs taking up gismu space vs etc...  All the weekday words under gejyspa's system are canonical form lujvo.
  • It's an original piece of lojban culture that isn't merely a copy off of other cultures techniques for naming days (hey imagine that!)
  • It's prettier, in my opinion.

.alyn.post.

Oct 6, 2010, 11:59:34 AM10/6/10
On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 12:29:55PM -0300, Jorge Llamb�as wrote:
> > Is there any problem on having a cmene rather than a brivla? After all
> > it's what January is: a name.
>
> It would be much less of a problem if cmevla were syntactically more flexible.

xorxes,

Is there a proposal written to make them more flexible? I'm not
current on your proposals, and so I can't tell here if you're
alluding to a proposal that would correct this or if this problem
doesn't yet have a clear solution.

.alyn.post.

Oct 6, 2010, 12:32:19 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com

I was hoping I wasn't going to be the first person to question why
weeks had to have 7 days, or why the Gregorian Calendar was assumed
to be universal.

There are many fascinating proposals regarding calendar reform:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_reform

The one that got the most traction was eventually blocked on
religious objections, namely that it didn't have repeating 7-day
cycles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Calendar

I've personally wanted to see a marriage of lunar and solar
calendars along a 19-year cycle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metonic_cycle

Having said all of this, my own attempts to follow a non-gregorian
calendar, with or without Lojban, has been a struggle in
reconciling any new calendar system with the world's use of the
gregorian calendar.

Jorge Llambías

Oct 6, 2010, 12:32:52 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 12:59 PM, .alyn.post.
<alyn...@lodockikumazvati.org> wrote:
> xorxes,
>
> Is there a proposal written to make them more flexible?  I'm not
> current on your proposals, and so I can't tell here if you're
> alluding to a proposal that would correct this or if this problem
> doesn't yet have a clear solution.

I think it's written somewhere with the rest of the proposals, but
it's very simple, so I can write it here again:

Proposal: Merge CMEVLA with BRIVLA.

In other words, allow CMEVLA to be used exactly in the same places
where BRIVLA can be used.

.alyn.post.

Oct 6, 2010, 12:44:39 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com

.i .ui je'e ki'e mu'o mi'e .alyn.

Michael Turniansky

Oct 6, 2010, 1:19:49 PM10/6/10

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Luke Bergen <lukea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally, the more I think about it, the more I'm loving gejyspa's skadei
> suggestion.  <after typing out a long paragraph with sentences starting with
> "additionally" and "also" etc... I've opted for bullets>
>
> It has the sequential nature that a rational logical system should have.
> It's very flexible for different calendars to invent new day words
> without necessarily conflicting with other calendars by adding more fine
> grained color words for more days to a week or more broad color words for
> fewer days.

 Umm no.  Much as I'm proud that you like my suggestion, that will NOT work, for the same reason as the original question of xorxes (paraphrastically "Isn't it confusing for cultures who use the different numbering schemes?").  If we all agree that today is xundei, then what is 9 days from now?  The 7-day weekers will say "peldei, while the 9-day weekers will say "xundei".  Standards are standard for a reason.  My aim was to establish a standard that doesn't conflict with already existing cultural standards.  And really, is there much variation in week length around the world currently?  It seems that except for the 25 million Igbo's traditional 4 day week, we aren't stepping on many currently-extant calendrical toes here.  And also (I say, tongue-in-cheekily), with the widespread availability of colored printers, monitors and copiers, we can save room in dates by saying, for example Oct 9, 2010 instead of "Wednesday, Oct 9, 2010" :-)

  Really, is there anything wrong with universal standards?  That's why we have timezones, airport codes, radio frequency etc. etc.

              --gejyspa

Luke Bergen

Oct 6, 2010, 1:26:51 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Ok then, remove that one bullet point.  I believe there are still 4 or 5 other fine points (and one subjective one).  If we're going to pick an arbitrary sequence for defining week-day names, why not color?  Are numbers more sequential than colors on a spectrum?  And it avoids the confusion of "5 day time interval" as opposed to "5th day".... and it isn't a cmevla or take up gismu space.

Was your suggestion mostly a joke gejyspa or was there any seriousness to it?

Michael Turniansky

Oct 6, 2010, 1:36:20 PM10/6/10
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Luke Bergen <lukea...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ok then, remove that one bullet point.  I believe there are still 4 or 5 other fine points (and one subjective one).  If we're going to pick an arbitrary sequence for defining week-day names, why not color?  Are numbers more sequential than colors on a spectrum?  And it avoids the confusion of "5 day time interval" as opposed to "5th day".... and it isn't a cmevla or take up gismu space.

Was your suggestion mostly a joke gejyspa or was there any seriousness to it?

  As I said in my original message...."Okay, this time, an actually SERIOUS proposal which just occurred to me..."

  I really think the idea is great for answering the objections of the previous two systems.
           --gy

Luke Bergen

Oct 6, 2010, 1:44:38 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Ok, so you were only casting doubt on the one bullet point then.  I thought you were poo-poo-ing the proposal as a whole.  ta'o when does a "suggestion" become a proposal?  ta'onai

.alyn.post.

Oct 6, 2010, 1:47:37 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
What makes color superior to phonetic ('a', 'e', ...) progression?
What makes color superior to texture (smooth => rough) progression?
What makes color superior to temperature (cold => hot) progression?

Or, in a single question, is color sufficiently arbitrary, or is it
equally arbitrary to other sensation scales? I see your argument of
color vs. numbers, but what is the argument for color vs. other
sensory progression?

-Alan

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 01:26:51PM -0400, Luke Bergen wrote:
> Ok then, remove that one bullet point. I believe there are still 4 or 5
> other fine points (and one subjective one). If we're going to pick an
> arbitrary sequence for defining week-day names, why not color? Are numbers
> more sequential than colors on a spectrum? And it avoids the confusion of
> "5 day time interval" as opposed to "5th day".... and it isn't a cmevla or
> take up gismu space.
> Was your suggestion mostly a joke gejyspa or was there any seriousness to
> it?
>
> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Michael Turniansky

> <[1]mturn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Luke Bergen <[2]lukea...@gmail.com>

> [3]lojban-b...@googlegroups.com.

> [4]lojban-beginne...@googlegroups.com.

> For more options, visit this group at

> [5]http://groups.google.com/group/lojban-beginners?hl=en.

> --
>

> References
>
> Visible links
> 1. mailto:mturn...@gmail.com
> 2. mailto:lukea...@gmail.com
> 3. mailto:lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
> 4. mailto:lojban-beginners%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> 5. http://groups.google.com/group/lojban-beginners?hl=en

Michael Turniansky

Oct 6, 2010, 1:51:35 PM10/6/10
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 1:47 PM, .alyn.post. <alyn...@lodockikumazvati.org> wrote:
What makes color superior to phonetic ('a', 'e', ...) progression?
What makes color superior to texture (smooth => rough) progression?
What makes color superior to temperature (cold => hot) progression?

Or, in a single question, is color sufficiently arbitrary, or is it
equally arbitrary to other sensation scales?  I see your argument of
color vs. numbers, but what is the argument for color vs. other
sensory progression?

-Alan

  Ahhh... but that's the beauty of color, it's NOT a "progression".  It is a circle.  So you don't have one culture saying "it should start on THIS day", and another saying "it should start on THAT day"...

  That objection aside, I have no preference for ANY circular, culturally unbiased system.  It was just the first to be suggested, as opposed to number, which have a beginning and end, just like your examples, and "arbitrary" substance/diety naming.

          --gejyspa

Luke Bergen

Oct 6, 2010, 1:54:36 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Is color circular?  I thought that as you go lower and lower on a spectrum you eventually just dip into wave-lengths that humans can't perceive.  At what point does red get so red that it starts to become green?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.  I hated art class ;)

.alyn.post.

Oct 6, 2010, 1:55:18 PM10/6/10
On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 01:51:35PM -0400, Michael Turniansky wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 1:47 PM, .alyn.post.
> <[1]alyn...@lodockikumazvati.org> wrote:
>
> What makes color superior to phonetic ('a', 'e', ...) progression?
> What makes color superior to texture (smooth => rough) progression?
> What makes color superior to temperature (cold => hot) progression?
>
> Or, in a single question, is color sufficiently arbitrary, or is it
> equally arbitrary to other sensation scales? I see your argument of
> color vs. numbers, but what is the argument for color vs. other
> sensory progression?
>
> -Alan
>
> Ahhh... but that's the beauty of color, it's NOT a "progression". It is a
> circle. So you don't have one culture saying "it should start on THIS
> day", and another saying "it should start on THAT day"...
> That objection aside, I have no preference for ANY circular, culturally
> unbiased system. It was just the first to be suggested, as opposed to
> number, which have a beginning and end, just like your examples, and
> "arbitrary" substance/diety naming.
> --gejyspa

Ah, I was thinking of color in the sense of "wavelength" rather than
color in the sense of "color wheel."

-Alan

Lindar

Oct 6, 2010, 2:02:54 PM10/6/10
to Lojban Beginners
detri

^

Now you can all stop arguing.

The day we switch to an obviously better calendar like fixed
international (weeks should start on Monday, that's how they work in
the corporate world, that's how they should be, and frankly I could
give two shits about what the religious people think because half of
them are too loopy to be on board with anything in the first place let
alone Lojban [plenty of offence meant to people that would be offended
by this, none to those who wouldn't be]) is also the day we switch to
dozenal, stop selling cigarettes, forever get rid of the drug problem,
finally feed Africa, and make marijuana legal everywhere.

=D

Stop idealising. Make something that works for the current standard,
then fuck off with your ideals and show us how to use it.

So, back to my point, {li pa lo'o detri} is the first day of the week.
Add {pi} and expand as necessary to week number, month number, year
number, etc. If you want to lujvo it, pavdetri, pavypizyreldetri, etc.

Have fun, and you can thank me later.

.alyn.post.

Oct 6, 2010, 2:08:51 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com

I believe you add {pi'e}, rather than {pi}, as day, week, and month
is not base-10.

Luke Bergen

Oct 6, 2010, 2:14:44 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
wow, you actually are kind of a prick from time to time.  I took no offence to anything you said but jeeze-oh-man.  Could you get any more... intense?

As far as I can tell, nobody here is being argumentative.  We're having discussions about pros and cons of various systems before we decide on which (if any) should be standard.

Adam Lopresto

Oct 6, 2010, 2:06:12 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Having given this some thought, I think the fundamental problem is that we're using words that don't have the place structure we want. We're using words that represent durations (like {temci}) instead of coordinates/addresses (like {tcika}). So I humbly (and with great trepedation) propose that we create two additional gismu.  I'll call them {broda} and {brode}, since I don't have the ability to run the algorithm to assign them properly. {broda} is the day of week gismu

broda: x1 is the x2th day of week number x3 of year x4, under calendar/system x5

Similarly, brode is for days of the month (not months themselves), with place structure

brode: x1 is the x2th day of month number x3 of year x3, under calendar/system x5

Then we can say things like "What day of the week is today?" ({le cabdei ma broda}), or "It's October" ({brode fi li pa no}).

Weekdays get very natural lujvo, since {pavbroda} really *is* {broda be li pa}, and both represent Monday (at least, for the zu'i x5). Months, we'd have to convert a little, though, so there might be issues there. Or maybe the x2 place of brode doesn't belong there, and the rest need to be shifted over.

I'm nearly certain that the weekday approach is right. I'd like to see proper fleshing out of the months, but I think starting from here is *much* better than trying to shoehorn things into {djedi} and {masti}.

As a side note, if you really do need to deal with cultures that use different number schemes, you can put something unusual in x5.

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Michael Eaton <michae...@blackpool.gov.uk> wrote:
[...]

.alyn.post.

Oct 6, 2010, 2:22:19 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
I'm conflicted by this message as well. Lindar's e-mail is very close
to going into my killfile, though the content of his messages is
very good.

Reading them, however, sometimes makes my day worse.

Lindar, I really really enjoy listening to your ideas and I get a
lot of out them. I struggle some days to read past the tone of your
e-mail, and that struggle is getting closer to my acting on it by
filtering your e-mail out of my inbox. I would really rather not do
this. I request that you separate your proposals and suggestions from
judgement or dismissiveness of other ideas. Your proposals are
strong enough to stand on their own merit.

-Alan

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 02:14:44PM -0400, Luke Bergen wrote:
> wow, you actually are kind of a prick from time to time. I took no offence
> to anything you said but jeeze-oh-man. Could you get any more... intense?
> As far as I can tell, nobody here is being argumentative. We're having
> discussions about pros and cons of various systems before we decide on
> which (if any) should be standard.
>

> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Lindar <[1]lindar...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> detri
>
> ^
> |

> Now you can all stop arguing.
>
> The day we switch to an obviously better calendar like fixed
> international (weeks should start on Monday, that's how they work in
> the corporate world, that's how they should be, and frankly I could
> give two shits about what the religious people think because half of
> them are too loopy to be on board with anything in the first place let
> alone Lojban [plenty of offence meant to people that would be offended
> by this, none to those who wouldn't be]) is also the day we switch to
> dozenal, stop selling cigarettes, forever get rid of the drug problem,
> finally feed Africa, and make marijuana legal everywhere.
>
> =D
>
> Stop idealising. Make something that works for the current standard,
> then fuck off with your ideals and show us how to use it.
>
> So, back to my point, {li pa lo'o detri} is the first day of the week.
> Add {pi} and expand as necessary to week number, month number, year
> number, etc. If you want to lujvo it, pavdetri, pavypizyreldetri, etc.
>
> Have fun, and you can thank me later.
> --

> [3]lojban-beginne...@googlegroups.com.

> For more options, visit this group at

> [4]http://groups.google.com/group/lojban-beginners?hl=en.

> --
>

> References
>
> Visible links
> 1. mailto:lindar...@yahoo.com
> 2. mailto:lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
> 3. mailto:lojban-beginners%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> 4. http://groups.google.com/group/lojban-beginners?hl=en

Remo Dentato

Oct 6, 2010, 2:26:50 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
2010/10/6 Jorge Llambías <jjlla...@gmail.com>:

> I think it's written somewhere with the rest of the proposals, but
> it's very simple, so I can write it here again:
>
> Proposal: Merge CMEVLA with BRIVLA.
>
> In other words, allow CMEVLA to be used exactly in the same places
> where BRIVLA can be used.

I like it but would this mean that {.alis.} would have the meaning
of "x1 is named Alice"?

If this is the case, how would {le} and {lo} work? Would {le .alis.}
be the same as {la .alis.} ?

Michael Turniansky

Oct 6, 2010, 2:46:49 PM10/6/10
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 2:22 PM, .alyn.post. <alyn...@lodockikumazvati.org> wrote:
I'm conflicted by this message as well.  Lindar's e-mail is very close
to going into my killfile, though the content of his messages is
very good.

Reading them, however, sometimes makes my day worse.

Lindar, I really really enjoy listening to your ideas and I get a
lot of out them.  I struggle some days to read past the tone of your
e-mail, and that struggle is getting closer to my acting on it by
filtering your e-mail out of my inbox.  I would really rather not do
this.  I request that you separate your proposals and suggestions from
judgement or dismissiveness of other ideas.  Your proposals are
strong enough to stand on their own merit.

-Alan

  la'e di'u cu krinu lo du'u la lindar  se cmene zo lindar .i lo notci be fi ly. cu gasnu lo nu so'a da djica lo nu vlile darxi ly. lo linsi kei .e lo nu jai bapli lo nu ly darno da

          --gejyspa

Jorge Llambías

Oct 6, 2010, 3:45:44 PM10/6/10
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Adam Lopresto <adamlo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> broda: x1 is the x2th day of week number x3 of year x4, under
> calendar/system x5
> brode: x1 is the x2th day of month number x3 of year x3, under
> calendar/system x5

That makes a lot of sense.

> Months, we'd
> have to convert a little, though, so there might be issues there.

Yeah, I don't think that brode could be the basis for month names,
since it's basically about days of the month, not about months.

> Or maybe
> the x2 place of brode doesn't belong there, and the rest need to be shifted
> over.

Or maybe add a third:

brodi: x1 is the x2th month of year x3, under calendar/system x4

> I'm nearly certain that the weekday approach is right. I'd like to see
> proper fleshing out of the months, but I think starting from here is *much*
> better than trying to shoehorn things into {djedi} and {masti}.

I agree.

Jorge Llambías

Oct 6, 2010, 3:49:39 PM10/6/10
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Remo Dentato <rden...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/10/6 Jorge Llambías <jjlla...@gmail.com>:

>> In other words, allow CMEVLA to be used exactly in the same places
>> where BRIVLA can be used.
>
> I like it but would this mean that  {.alis.}  would have the meaning
> of "x1 is named Alice"?

Basically, yes. (Probably not the case for every cmevla, but that
would be the basic case for ordinary names.)

> If this is the case, how would {le} and {lo} work? Would {le .alis.}
> be the same as {la .alis.} ?

Only to the same extent that "le me la .alis." is the same as "la .alis."
(i.e. not really, but the difference is quite subtle).

MorphemeAddict

Oct 6, 2010, 4:08:50 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
I like this idea. But we wouldn't need to create gismu for the two concepts. Just make up lujvo or fu'ivla. And use them.

stevo

MorphemeAddict

Oct 6, 2010, 4:13:07 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
2010/10/6 Jorge Llambías <jjlla...@gmail.com>
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 6:03 AM, MorphemeAddict <lyt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:54 PM, Jonathan Jones <eye...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> {lunrapa} "1-month" = January
>> {lunrare} "2-month" = February
>> {lunraci} "3-month" = March
>> {lunravo} "4-month" = April
>> {lunramu} "5-month" = May
>> {lunraxa} "6-month" = June
>> {lunraze} "7-month" = July
>> {lunrabi} "8-month" = August
>> {lunraso} "9-month" = September
>> {lunradau} "10-month" = October
>> {lunrafei} "11-month" = November
>> {lunragai} "12-month" = December
>>
> Here I see no reason to use "lunra" when "masti" is available.

"masti" wouldn't work there because "st" is a valid initial, so
"mastipa" = "ma stipa".

This objection is irrelevant because I was suggesting "masti" be used in the following phrases, not as replacements for "lunra" in the phrases above.

> Using "zei" as above, we get
>
> masti zei pa = January
> masti zei re = February
> masti zei ci = March
> masti zei vo = April
> masti zei mu = May
> masti zei xa = June
> masti zei ze = July
> masti zei bi = August
> masti zei so = September
> masti zei pano / masti zei dau = October
> masti zei papa / masti zei fei = November
> masti zei pare / masti zei gai = December
>
> How's that?

You need:

masti zei pa zei no
masti zei pa zei pa
masti zei pa zei re

Okay, that's what the hex versions are for, then.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

mu'o mi'e stevon

Jonathan Jones

Oct 6, 2010, 4:43:23 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Hey, if it were up to me, we'd be using the Druid calendar, which consists of 8 45 day months and one 5-6 day month at the end of the year. :D
(Unfortunately, I can't find a wikipedia article about it, so the neo-pagan Wheel of the Year article will have to do: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_of_the_year)

--
mu'o mi'e .aionys.

.i.a'o.e'e ko cmima le bende pe lo pilno be denpa bu .i doi luk. mi patfu do zo'o
(Come to the Dot Side! Luke, I am your father. :D )

Lindar

Oct 6, 2010, 4:50:51 PM10/6/10
to Lojban Beginners
xorxes' proposal doesn't fly because then my name is 'is named
Lindar'. It breaks the meaning of names. Also, sorry for the language.
I get annoyed when discussions get sidetracked by idealism. Create the
words (detri is what you want), then work on the system. We have a
word for both of the things proposed, detri.

Jonathan Jones

Oct 6, 2010, 4:57:43 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
2010/10/6 Jorge Llambías <jjlla...@gmail.com>

I like this idea. Actually, I think works much better than any proposal to date. I would suggest that, instead of having the broda brode and brodi, to have broda, brodi, and rodbrodi for brode instead.

Furthermore, I suggest {detla} for broda, with the rafsi {dle}, which I do not believe is taken yet, for {pavdle}, etc., and {masla} for brodi, with the rafsi {msa}, assuming that's a valid rafsi, which I doubt, which yields {dlemasla} for brode.

Jonathan Jones

Oct 6, 2010, 5:01:02 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't break anything. {la.lindar.} means "The one named Lindar." Merging cmevla with brivla just means that {le.lindar.} would mean "The one I have in mind with the name Lindar", instead of meaning "error, does not parse". {la.lindar.} would still mean the exact same thing.

Pierre Abbat

Oct 6, 2010, 5:03:13 PM10/6/10
On Wednesday 06 October 2010 16:57:43 Jonathan Jones wrote:
> Furthermore, I suggest {detla} for broda, with the rafsi {dle}, which I do
> not believe is taken yet, for {pavdle}, etc., and {masla} for brodi, with
> the rafsi {msa}, assuming that's a valid rafsi, which I doubt, which yields
> {dlemasla} for brode.

All rafsi have to be valid as the start of a word, so neither {dle} nor {msa}
is a valid rafsi.

Pierre
--
.i toljundi do .ibabo mi'afra tu'a do
.ibabo damba do .ibabo do jinga

Jonathan Jones

Oct 6, 2010, 5:17:51 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Oh well. Okay, let's try this the other way, then. What valid rafsi haven't been claimed yet? Let's take to of them and form the proposed gismu from them.

Stela Selckiku

Oct 6, 2010, 5:34:25 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 12:32 PM, .alyn.post.
<alyn...@lodockikumazvati.org> wrote:

> I was hoping I wasn't going to be the first person to question why
> weeks had to have 7 days, or why the Gregorian Calendar was assumed
> to be universal.

Us Discordians of course use a 5-day system, which I haven't thought
yet of how to translate into Lojban. We do so purely for
wrench-throwing purposes, though, so if everything else is less
consistent with our system then all the better.

Also, while I'm on this thread: Dear Everyone: Stop proposing gismu
and rafsi. Haven't you any idea what a mess you'd make of Lojban if
you actually made new gismu with new rafsi twice a week like you're
always proposing? Make some zi'evla, we're nowhere near having too
many of those.

mi'e la stela selckiku mu'o

.alyn.post.

Oct 6, 2010, 5:44:17 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com

gimna:

x1 proposes gismu x2 and is told no by x3 because of reason THERE IS
NO x4 BECAUSE THE ANSWER IS NO.

Jonathan Jones

Oct 6, 2010, 5:50:21 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
In my entire time in lojgugde, I can remember /exactly/ two instances wherein a person has proposed a new gismu; The first was a proposal for a gismu for all non-arachnid jukni, and the second was in here. That two proposal in nearly a decade.

I think you might be overstating just a bit.

Also, I dislike zi'evla for the same reasons I dislike fu'ivla, which I will not repeat again in here because I'm sure I've said them often enough I don't need to.

Jonathan Jones

Oct 6, 2010, 5:50:40 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
.u'icai

Jonathan Jones

Oct 6, 2010, 6:43:53 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
I found 45 unclaimed {dXX} rafsi, although possibly only 35, assuming {diV} and {duV} aren't permissible.

Considering the desire for {XXV}, I'm proposing {donla} {do'a} for the aforementioned broda, which references {donri} and {la}.

I found 29 unclaimed {mXX} rafsi, although again I may be wrong about 10 of them. One of the unclaimed is {mV'V}, which is surprising.

For the aforementioned brodi, I'm proposing {mazla} {maz}, referencing {masti} and {la}.

The full list of unclaimed {dXX} rafsi are:

de'e  do'a  do'e  do'u
dia  die  dii  dio  diu
dua  due  dui  duo  duu
dzo
def  dev  dez
did  dif  dip  dis  dit  div  dix
dob  doc  dod  dof  dog  doj  dok  dol  dom  dop  dos  dov  dox  doz
duc  duf  dup  duv  dux  duz

The full list of unclaimed {mXX} rafsi are:

mia  mie  mii  mio  miu
mo'e
mua  mue  mui  muo  muu
maz
med  mef  mep  mev  mez
mig  miz
mod  mof  mog  mop  mot  mox  moz
mub  mug  mux

To reiterate and clarify:

"donla  do'a  x1 is the x2th day of week number x3 of year x4, under calendar/system x5" {pavdo'a} = "Monday", etc.

"mazla  maz  x1 is the x2th month of year x3, under calendar/system x4" {pavmazla} = "January", etc.

"mazdo'a  d1=x1 is the d2=x2th day of month number m1=x3 of year d4=m4=x3, under calendar/system d5=m5=x5"

.alyn.post.

Oct 6, 2010, 6:55:06 PM10/6/10
On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 04:43:53PM -0600, Jonathan Jones wrote:
> To reiterate and clarify:
>
> "donla do'a x1 is the x2th day of week number x3 of year x4, under
> calendar/system x5" {pavdo'a} = "Monday", etc.
>
> "mazla maz x1 is the x2th month of year x3, under calendar/system x4"
> {pavmazla} = "January", etc.
>
> "mazdo'a d1=x1 is the d2=x2th day of month number m1=x3 of year d4=m4=x3,
> under calendar/system d5=m5=x5"

This is the best proposal I've seen yet, so I support it.

David Gowers (kampu)

Oct 6, 2010, 7:44:15 PM10/6/10
On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Jonathan Jones <eye...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I found 45 unclaimed {dXX} rafsi, although possibly only 35, assuming {diV}
> and {duV} aren't permissible.
>
> Considering the desire for {XXV}, I'm proposing {donla} {do'a} for the
> aforementioned broda, which references {donri} and {la}.
>
> I found 29 unclaimed {mXX} rafsi, although again I may be wrong about 10 of
> them. One of the unclaimed is {mV'V}, which is surprising.
>
> For the aforementioned brodi, I'm proposing {mazla} {maz}, referencing
> {masti} and {la}.
>
> The full list of unclaimed {dXX} rafsi are:
>
> de'e  do'a  do'e  do'u
> dzo
> def  dev  dez
> did  dif  dip  dis  dit  div  dix
> dob  doc  dod  dof  dog  doj  dok  dol  dom  dop  dos  dov  dox  doz
> duc  duf  dup  duv  dux  duz

I removed the badly formed rafsi above and below
C[iu]V is invalid

> The full list of unclaimed {mXX} rafsi are:
>

> mo'e

> maz
> med  mef  mep  mev  mez
> mig  miz
> mod  mof  mog  mop  mot  mox  moz
> mub  mug  mux
>

> To reiterate and clarify:
>
> "donla  do'a  x1 is the x2th day of week number x3 of year x4, under
> calendar/system x5" {pavdo'a} = "Monday", etc.
>
> "mazla  maz  x1 is the x2th month of year x3, under calendar/system x4"
> {pavmazla} = "January", etc.
>
> "mazdo'a  d1=x1 is the d2=x2th day of month number m1=x3 of year d4=m4=x3,
> under calendar/system d5=m5=x5"

I also support this proposition.

Jonathan Jones

Oct 6, 2010, 7:46:35 PM10/6/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 5:44 PM, David Gowers (kampu) <00a...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

C[iu]V is invalid
<snip>

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about that, as I mentioned.

Remo Dentato

Oct 7, 2010, 1:48:44 AM10/7/10
On Thursday, October 7, 2010, Jonathan Jones <eye...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "donla  do'a  x1 is the x2th day of week number x3 of year x4, under calendar/system x5"
> {pavdo'a} = "Monday", etc.
>
> "mazla  maz  x1 is the x2th month of year x3, under calendar/system x4"
> {pavmazla} = "January", etc.
>
> "mazdo'a  d1=x1 is the d2=x2th day of month number m1=x3 of year d4=m4=x3, under calendar/system d5=m5=x5"

if {mo'e} is available, could we use that instead? So that January is
{pavmo'e}.
That would break the lujvo you made, though.

Jonathan Jones

Oct 7, 2010, 1:55:44 AM10/7/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
First off, we need a gismu to have a rafsi, and since neither o nor e are in {mazla}, that means you'd have to make a different word.

Second off, why do you think {pavmo'e} is better than {pavmazla}? You gave absolutely no reasons.

Remo Dentato

Oct 7, 2010, 2:12:49 AM10/7/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, October 7, 2010, Jonathan Jones <eye...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 11:48 PM, Remo Dentato <rden...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thursday, October 7, 2010, Jonathan Jones <eye...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "donla  do'a  x1 is the x2th day of week number x3 of year x4, under calendar/system x5"
>> {pavdo'a} = "Monday", etc.
>>
>> "mazla  maz  x1 is the x2th month of year x3, under calendar/system x4"
>> {pavmazla} = "January", etc.
>>
>> "mazdo'a  d1=x1 is the d2=x2th day of month number m1=x3 of year d4=m4=x3, under calendar/system d5=m5=x5"
>>
>  if {mo'e} is available, could we use that instead? So that January is
> {pavmo'e}.
> That would break the lujvo you made, though.
>
> First off, we need a gismu to have a rafsi, and since neither o nor e are in {mazla}, that means you'd have to make a different word.
>
> Second off, why do you think {pavmo'e} is better than {pavmazla}? You gave absolutely no reasons.

Just because of the similraty, both days and months would end with
CV'V and that I would find easier to remember.

btw, I was not arguing about the need of a rafsi. I'm convinced we
need them and I would actually be glad to have both maz a mo'e for
mazla.

Now that I think about it. Is there a process to set up an
experimental gismu in jbovlaste? (I mean in terms of
consensus/approvals, of course)

Lindar

Oct 7, 2010, 3:32:29 AM10/7/10
to Lojban Beginners
Am I being spam-blocked? >_>

detri

x1 is the date [day,week,month,year] of event/state x2, at location
x3, by calendar x4.

We ALREADY HAVE that word.

It's already there. It's in existence. We don't need more words that
mean the same thing.

.i li pa lo'o detri (lo cabdei)

"Today is the first."

.i li pa pi'e ci pi'e re pi'e re no pa no lo'o detri lo cabdei mi lo
*gregorian*

Today is the first day of the third week (the 15th?) of the second
month (February?) of the year 2010 (in base dau) at my location in the
gregorian calendar.

I'm sorry to be RAEG IN THRADD!! but you guys have kinda steam-rolled
over me every time I've brought this up. You -don't- need two whole
new gismu for this when we have -one- perfectly good word that does
the job exactly how you want. If you want to discuss what exactly is
permitted in the x1 of detri (should it be "day | month | year" or
"day of week | week | month | quarter | year | additional division |
another big measurement | bollocks" or ... whatever!), then that's
totally cool, but this discussion of new gismu really doesn't need to
go any further. Trust me, there have been PLENTY of gismu suggested.
Unless you can write your entire proposal and definition in Lojban,
you're not taking up any gismu space. Feel free to petition the byfy,
but I'm vetoing.

On a lighter note, if we can move back to the topic at hand using
detri, I would love to discuss what everybody thinks is appropriate
for a calendar.

I am for weeks starting on the first business day and ending on two
non-business days with seven days each week and four weeks each month,
thirteen months to a year with a non-day at the end of the year for
the celebration of the year's end and a leap-day after June. I also
believe the year should start in spring.

I'm also for making dozenal the standard, though.

This really doesn't change the fact that most of us live by a
Gregorian calendar and use decimal on a daily basis.

If you, your people, and your country actually live and work by a
different calendar (and/or number base), I would love to know about it
so we can take into account what you're used to and blend it into what
we're doing as well as create a way to express your calendar in Lojban.

Pierre Abbat

Oct 7, 2010, 8:42:15 AM10/7/10
On Thursday 07 October 2010 02:12:49 Remo Dentato wrote:
> Now that I think about it. Is there a process to set up an
> experimental gismu in jbovlaste? (I mean in terms of
> consensus/approvals, of course)

You can enter an experimental gismu in jbovlaste, but AFAIK can't assign it a
rafsi ("benzo" should have "bez", as in "bezysince" the six-spotted hoop
snake, but I couldn't enter it). There are 25 already entered. Voting works
the same way as for any other word.

Pierre
--
li ze te'a ci vu'u ci bi'e te'a mu du
li ci su'i ze te'a mu bi'e vu'u ci

Jorge Llambías

Oct 7, 2010, 8:46:32 AM10/7/10
On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 4:32 AM, Lindar <lindar...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> detri
>
> x1 is the date [day,week,month,year] of event/state x2, at location
> x3, by calendar x4.
>
> .i li pa lo'o detri (lo cabdei)
>
> "Today is the first."

Yes, the first of the month.

> .i li pa pi'e ci pi'e re pi'e re no pa no lo'o detri lo cabdei mi lo
> *gregorian*
>
> Today is the first day of the third week (the 15th?) of the second
> month (February?) of the year 2010 (in base dau) at my location in the
> gregorian calendar.

I don't think that's how "week" was intended in detri. I think it was
meant as week of the year, not week of the month. In fact week number
(be it of the month or of the year) is not well defined because of the
ambiguity in when the week starts. If it's Monday the second of
January, is that the first week or the second week of the month/year?

> You -don't- need two whole
> new gismu for this when we have -one- perfectly good word that does
> the job exactly how you want.

But "detri" doesn't do the job we want. Do you really expect
"relseldetri" to be understood as "Tueday"? Try saying "we meet every
Tuesday" using "detri".

> If you want to discuss what exactly is
> permitted in the x1 of detri (should it be "day | month | year" or
> "day of week | week | month | quarter | year | additional division |
> another big measurement | bollocks" or ... whatever!), then that's
> totally cool,

Last time this was discussed, the most support seemed to be for the
year;month;day order, but this is one of those recurring topics, so
who knows what will happen this time.

Luke Bergen

Oct 7, 2010, 9:22:27 AM10/7/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
> But "detri" doesn't do the job we want. Do you really expect
> "relseldetri" to be understood as "Tueday"? Try saying "we meet every
> Tuesday" using "detri".

Even that doesn't work.  the days/weeks/months/years of detri are all in the x1 (comma separated?!) so you would need to get at those with some kind of pi'e construct or something.  A seldetri is an event that takes place on [some] date.  It's unfortunate that detri wasn't defined better (with a sumti slot for days, months, years, etc...).

Jorge Llambías

Oct 7, 2010, 9:40:39 AM10/7/10
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 7:43 PM, Jonathan Jones <eye...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I found 45 unclaimed {dXX} rafsi, although possibly only 35, assuming {diV}
> and {duV} aren't permissible.
>
> Considering the desire for {XXV}, I'm proposing {donla} {do'a} for the
> aforementioned broda, which references {donri} and {la}.

The relationship between "donri"/"la" and the wanted meaning a bit
farfetched, I would almost prefer it if you said it was a randomly
generated form. Perhaps it's not as bad as the etymology of "bemro",
but still.

If we were to express the wanted meaning in terms of existing words,
it might be something like this:

ko'a me ko'e (to noi namcu toi) moi lo djedi pe lo me ko'i (to noi
namcu toi) moi be lo jeftu pe ko'o noi nanca ku'o fi'o ve detri ko'u

The key words are "jeftu-djedi-moi". Indeed "jefydeimoi" might be a
reasonable lujvo for this. The only problem with it is that it's an
awful mouthful to create names like "pavyjefydeimoi", "reljefydeimoi",
.... Or would it have to be "jefydeipavmoi", "jefydeirelmoi", ...?

Anyway, if the idea is to create a lujvo/cmavo/bemro/dzipo type of
gismu (i.e. one based on a Lojban etymology) then I suggest basing it
on something more sensible than on "donri" and "la".

(The best available rafsi for it seems to be "zoi", because all the
week-day names would be two syllables. It has the -oi of moi, but I
don't know where the "z" could be from.)

Oleksii Melnyk

Oct 7, 2010, 12:53:58 PM10/7/10

2010/10/6 Jonathan Jones <eye...@gmail.com>
about the pros and cons of the two current methods of naming the days of the week - one based on numbers, the other on concepts. {pavdei}

IMO "day of week" is not a kind of "-dei/djedi", but a kind of "detri". "... at DayOfWeek ..." is "... de'i SOMETHING ...". Do we really have a "logical" use case for "Monday" itself, without any event to attach "de'i X" to?

Moreover, "detri" implies the cultural bias(at x4), so, we can use any "foreign" day of week names. And consider "de'i li PA" to be the most neutral way of weekday naming.

And so for the month names. "January" is something near "de'i li pi'epa" (or pi'epi'epa, depends on x4 of detri)

--
mu'o mi'e lex

Lindar

Oct 7, 2010, 1:43:43 PM10/7/10
to Lojban Beginners
> IMO "day of week" is not a kind of "-dei/djedi", but a kind of "detri". "...

=D

> at DayOfWeek ..." is "... de'i SOMETHING ...". Do we really have a "logical"
> use case for "Monday" itself, without any event to attach "de'i X" to?

Dunno, but I like that cmavo.

> Moreover, "detri" implies the cultural bias(at x4), so, we can use any
> "foreign" day of week names. And consider "de'i li PA" to be the most
> neutral way of weekday naming.

Agreed!

> And so for the month names. "January" is something near "de'i li pi'epa" (or
> pi'epi'epa, depends on x4 of detri)

Double agree!

I honestly think the x1 should change depending on the calendar.
If we're using a fixed calendar, it should be day, week, month, year.
(first day of second week of first month = 8th of Jan.) If we're using
the calendar I'm used to, probably should be either (day of week | day
of month | month of year | year) or (day of month | month | year) as
that would be "Monday the 15th of January, 2010" and "The 15th of
January, 2010" respectively.

We could also have archival dating, wherein it starts (year | month |
day) and mark that with the x4.

Oleksii Melnyk

Oct 7, 2010, 2:31:37 PM10/7/10

2010/10/7 Lindar <lindar...@yahoo.com>

the calendar I'm used to, probably should be either (day of week | day
of month | month of year | year) or (day of month | month | year)

I think, here we have 2 separate calendars: (day of month | month | year) and (day of week)(week, mostly used in offset format(next|last)). Year of week is rare (however I've seen it used once). And we are mixing them sometimes (last Xday of the Month,day of week | day
of month | month of year | year).
I don't like "just make the new word" way. But trahslating all our calendaring habits into lojban gives either too long, or too ambiguous dates.

Pierre Abbat

Oct 7, 2010, 2:41:14 PM10/7/10
On Thursday 07 October 2010 14:31:37 Oleksii Melnyk wrote:
> 2010/10/7 Lindar <lindar...@yahoo.com>
>
> > the calendar I'm used to, probably should be either (day of week | day
> > of month | month of year | year) or (day of month | month | year)
>
> I think, here we have 2 separate calendars: (day of month | month | year)
> and (day of week)(week, mostly used in offset format(next|last)). Year of
> week is rare (however I've seen it used once). And we are mixing them
> sometimes (last Xday of the Month,day of week | day
> of month | month of year | year).

If the date is expressed as day, month, and year, the order should be year,
month, day. If, however, it's (day of 13-day period | day of 20-day period),
I think the order is arbitrary; neither is more significant than the other.

Jonathan Jones

Oct 7, 2010, 2:42:11 PM10/7/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
2010/10/7 Jorge Llambías <jjlla...@gmail.com>

Okay, how about zonri, then, to make something up off the top of my head?

Jorge Llambías

Oct 7, 2010, 2:55:34 PM10/7/10
On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Jonathan Jones <eye...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/10/7 Jorge Llambías <jjlla...@gmail.com>

>> (The best available rafsi for it seems to be "zoi", because all the
>> week-day names would be two syllables. It has the -oi of moi, but I
>> don't know where the "z" could be from.)

Except for "mumyzoi". Pierre's recent post reminded me about the silly
"mz" rule.
There'e also "goi" that wouldn't have that problem, but I had thought
of it for the months.

> Okay, how about zonri, then, to make something up off the top of my head?

I have no opinion for the moment.

Remo Dentato

Oct 9, 2010, 1:04:38 AM10/9/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, October 7, 2010, Jonathan Jones <eye...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "donla  do'a  x1 is the x2th day of week number x3 of year x4, under calendar/system x5"
> {pavdo'a} = "Monday", etc.
>
> "mazla  maz  x1 is the x2th month of year x3, under calendar/system x4"
> {pavmazla} = "January", etc.
>
> "mazdo'a  d1=x1 is the d2=x2th day of month number m1=x3 of year d4=m4=x3, under calendar/system d5=m5=x5"

Jonathan Jones

Oct 9, 2010, 1:17:28 AM10/9/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
What would the gismu be that has "mo'e} as it's rafsi, instead of {mazla}, which obviously can't have that rafsi, since it has neither "o" nor "e"?

Remo Dentato

Oct 9, 2010, 2:30:58 AM10/9/10
On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 7:17 AM, Jonathan Jones <eye...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What would the gismu be that has "mo'e} as it's rafsi, instead of {mazla},
> which obviously can't have that rafsi, since it has neither "o" nor "e"?

Sorry I didn't get that far in thinking about this...

Amber Shadow

Oct 8, 2010, 9:18:03 PM10/8/10
to Lojban Beginners
It would be cool to split up the year into twelve months (as it is)
and then each month into either 24, 28, or 36 days and then split each
of those into six day weeks. Since lojbanists seem to like base 12 a
lot :)

On Oct 6, 9:32 am, ".alyn.post." <alyn.p...@lodockikumazvati.org>
wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 04:24:20PM +0200, Remo Dentato wrote:
> > BTW we are talking about the Gregorian Calendar, right?
>
> > I always thought that Lojbanistan was using International Fixed
> > Calendar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Fixed_Calendar)
> > for cultural neutrality!
>
> >  :)
>
> I was hoping I wasn't going to be the first person to question why
> weeks had to have 7 days, or why the Gregorian Calendar was assumed
> to be universal.
>
> There are many fascinating proposals regarding calendar reform:
>
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_reform
>
> The one that got the most traction was eventually blocked on
> religious objections, namely that it didn't have repeating 7-day
> cycles:
>
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Calendar
>
> I've personally wanted to see a marriage of lunar and solar
> calendars along a 19-year cycle:
>
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metonic_cycle
>
> Having said all of this, my own attempts to follow a non-gregorian
> calendar, with or without Lojban, has been a struggle in
> reconciling any new calendar system with the world's use of the
> gregorian calendar.

David Gowers (kampu)

Oct 9, 2010, 6:01:59 AM10/9/10
On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Amber Shadow <ambers...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be cool to split up the year into twelve months (as it is)
> and then each month into either 24, 28, or 36 days and then split each
> of those into six day weeks. Since lojbanists seem to like base 12 a
> lot :)
Really? Who other than Lindar favors base 12? I personally favor base
16, and Hugglesworth seems to think both 8 and 16 are useful.. , but I
haven't met anyone not Lindar who clearly favors base 12 (I understand
one reason for this is because it has a lot of divisors -- 2,3,4,6 vs
base 16's 2,4,8 or base 8's 2,4 ).
What base do you favor?

Jonathan Jones

Oct 9, 2010, 5:47:43 PM10/9/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
25, because of D'ni, and 3, because of trinary.

Jonathan Jones

Oct 9, 2010, 5:48:47 PM10/9/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Well, that's the second time you said that, and the second time I pointed out that "mo'e" can't be a rafsi of {mazla}.

Lindar

Oct 9, 2010, 7:22:29 PM10/9/10
to Lojban Beginners
RE: dozenal

Also because:
1/2 = .6
1/3 = .4
1/4 = .3
1/6 = .2

Which means that, in addition to 2,3,4 and 6 being divisors, 8 and 9
produce non-repeating decimals (2/3 or .8 and 3/4 or .9 respectively).
Also, how many eggs/doughnuts/plastic utensils/paper plates do you
tend to get? Is it a multiple of 10, or a multiple of 12? =D

RE: D'ni

It's actually called "ternary". "Trinary" isn't a real word. Don't mix
latin and greek.
(like 'television' or 'telephone' for example)

RE: People still trying to come up with a new gismu.

=D Stop, please. We already have a word for what you're trying to
make.

pavde'i
relde'i
etc.

There are your easy lujvo. If you want to be creative, help selkik
come up with culture weekdays. So far we've got banana day, but we're
not sure what day that is.

.alyn.post.

Oct 9, 2010, 7:38:00 PM10/9/10
On Sat, Oct 09, 2010 at 04:22:29PM -0700, Lindar wrote:
> RE: dozenal

I read that as two dozen. :-p

> It's actually called "ternary". "Trinary" isn't a real word. Don't mix
> latin and greek.
> (like 'television' or 'telephone' for example)

Or autokiniton and ipsomobile, for another example.

Jonathan Jones

Oct 9, 2010, 7:47:11 PM10/9/10
On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Lindar <lindar...@yahoo.com> wrote:
RE: People still trying to come up with a new gismu.

=D Stop, please. We already have a word for what you're trying to
make.

pavde'i
relde'i
etc.

There are your easy lujvo.

jbofi'e says:

[1«2pavde'i 1??-tooth/teeth??»2]1

.i `.' [3«4relde'i 2??-tooth/teeth??»4]3

I am definitely not naming the day of the week various quantities of teeth.

Jorge Llambías

Oct 9, 2010, 8:20:40 PM10/9/10
On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Jonathan Jones <eye...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Lindar <lindar...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> pavde'i
>> relde'i
>> etc.
>
> I am definitely not naming the day of the week various quantities of teeth.

Those could actually work as names for central incisor, lateral
incisor, canine, first molar, second molar, ... I don't know if there
is a standard ordering for those, probably there is.

In this case there is no interference from the place structure of
"denci" that would suggest a quantity value for the numbers, rather
than just a label.

Jonathan Jones

Oct 9, 2010, 8:31:44 PM10/9/10
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
2010/10/9 Jorge Llambías <jjlla...@gmail.com>

Here I was trying to make fun of Lindar for using the wrong rafsi, and you go and say that. Poo on you. zo'o

Pierre Abbat

Oct 9, 2010, 9:50:58 PM10/9/10
On Saturday 09 October 2010 20:20:40 Jorge Llambías wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Jonathan Jones <eye...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Lindar <lindar...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> pavde'i
> >> relde'i
> >> etc.
> >
> > I am definitely not naming the day of the week various quantities of
> > teeth.
>
> Those could actually work as names for central incisor, lateral
> incisor, canine, first molar, second molar, ... I don't know if there
> is a standard ordering for those, probably there is.

Most mammals have different kinds of teeth, up to four kinds: incisor
(ka'arde'i), canine (gerde'i), premolar (crazalde'i), and molar (zalde'i).
There are numbering systems for human teeth, which can be used for all
fi'orjoizdo smani but no others (to lo fi'uvosi'e be lo bemjoitco smani cu se
crazalde'i ba'e ci da toi), and a numbering system for all heterodont
mammals. In the system for all heterodont mammals, premolars are numbered
ending at 4, rather than starting at 1. I suspect the reason has to do with
homology of teeth.

Pierre
--
The Black Garden on the Mountain is not on the Black Mountain.

Lindar

Oct 10, 2010, 6:12:41 AM10/10/10
to Lojban Beginners
Which brings me to my next project... I'm gonna list all of the crap I
hate about rafsi and how they should be fixed. Frankly, whomever
decided on the rafsi for the 'great rafsi shift' was retarded as all
hell. vlagi and tujli have rafsi, denci has an ending-rafsi that is
the tcita for detri, which has a starting rafsi, and nixli has two
short rafsi while nanla has none. Serious problems, I tells ya.
Anyway... uhhh... 'pavdetri' then.

Jacob Errington

Sep 26, 2012, 5:08:48 PM9/26/12
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
CV'V rafsi are particularly useful for cmavo that also have a rafsi, like {co'a}, whose rafsi is -co'a-.
Otherwise, they exist purely to reduce the number of consonants otherwise required by using the gismu-based rafsi.

On 26 September 2012 09:18, <arcady....@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't understand why we have CV'V rafsi. They don't reduce the number of syllables.

Pierre Abbat

Jan 18, 2013, 10:01:25 PM1/18/13
On Friday, January 18, 2013 16:16:46 karis. wrote:
> Ok, everyone. I just recently started reconnecting with the lojban
> community, though I was an active member in the 1990's. During one Logfest
> meeting (I can't specify the year) the topic of how to specify weekdays was
> discussed extensively. What we determined was that different groups could
> use different day names and we came up with several options. We figured
> that any confusion could be clarified as needed. In the end we decided on
> two or three cycles to use, but left this open for eventually adding others
> as well. One cycle used the continents in order as you proceed around the
> earth following the Sun. I apologize for not remembering which was
> connected to which day. The one I preferred was based on the color wheel --
> Wednesday was color-day followed in order by red, orange, yellow, green,
> blue, and purple days. Wednesday was chosen for the off day because we
> couldn't think of any group that used that day as a religious one.

Besides the number system, I know of two:
soldei ce'o lurdei ce'o fagdei ce'o jaudje ce'o mudydei ce'o jimdei ce'o
derdei .i
xundei ce'o najdei ce'o peldei ce'o ri'odje ce'o cicnydei bladei ce'o zirdei
In both, Wednesday gets a word ending in "-dje" as the best-scoring lujvo.

As to the teeth: ka'arde'i ce'o gerde'i ce'o crazalde'i ce'o zalde'i.

mu'omi'e .pier.
--
li fi'u vu'u fi'u fi'u du li pa

karis.

Aug 17, 2016, 9:39:28 AM8/17/16
to Lojban Beginners
Systems for days of the week (that I can remember):

Continents, in order as the sun travels and I think Wednesday was Africa

Colors, ie.six divisions color wheel following the rainbow starting with Thursday and ending on Tuesday. Wednesday is color day.

In both systems Wednesday was picked as the cusp day between weeks because none of us could think of a religion our group that made it central.

The goal of the discussion was how to specify days of the week as close to culturally neutral as possible. In the end we decided these systems and others were welcome as long as users of less common ones were willing to explain.

karis

Pierre Abbat

Aug 19, 2016, 2:53:04 AM8/19/16
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
I know of three systems in use in Lojban:
*nondei, pavdei, reldei, cibdei, vondei, mumdei, xavdei, zeldei. The 0th and
7th are synonyms. The problem with this is that people who number the days of
the week don't all agree on which day gets which number, and in some languages
(Slavic and Hungarian, which borrowed some days from Slavic), the week starts
on Monday but Wednesday is the middle.

*soldei, lurdei, fagdei, jaudje, mudydei, jimdei, derdei. These are based on
Japanese and Korean; the Chinese are sure to be familiar with them, as the
Japanese days are written in kanji. The first two are also obvious to speakers
of many Germanic and Romance languages. As far as I know, all
peoples/languages that assign heavenly bodies, gods, or elements to days agree
on which day is the day of the Moon.

*xundei, najdei, peldei, ri'odje, cicnydei, bladei, zirdei. As far as I know,
no one but Lojbanists names days of the week for colors.

In both the soldei system and the xundei system, one can make up nonexistent
weekdays, such as vardei (air is a Greek but not Chinese element), rusydei,
nukydei, or labdei. Also in both systems, Wednesday begins with a CVV rafsi.

I recommend using the soldei system if you want something familiar to a large
fraction of the world population, or the xundei system if you want something
equally unfamiliar to all. I do not recommend using the nondei system, because
it is likely that someone will misinterpret it.

As to months, the Gregorian calendar, which is the one in widest use, is the
fourth version of the Roman calendar. The current names of the months are:
janvari, febvari, martime, prilime, magjome, junxame, julzeme, .avgusto,
septebe, .oktobe, novmebe, dekmere. There were some former names like "madjio"
which were invalidated by a phonotactic ruling of the BPFK. The same month
names are used in the Julian calendar; the Pompilian and Romulan calendars,
and the Julian before Augustus, used some now-obsolete month names. If you
want to use an unrelated calendar with different month names, make up Lojban
words for them.

Pierre
--
I believe in Yellow when I'm in Sweden and in Black when I'm in Wales.