Geometry on Lojban

evtushe...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2017, 2:24:37 PM4/30/17
to Lojban Beginners
Coi do!

I'd like to train my Lojban skills. So, I chose to translate some geometry theorems.
I had some problems while translating.
1) How to translate figure naming on Lojban? For example, is a triangle translation cijga (ci - 3, jgu - rafsi of jganu).
2) How to translate the length of the obect?
3) How should I write names of objects? For example, ABC is a tringle/

uakci

Apr 30, 2017, 2:37:45 PM4/30/17
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
30.04.2017 20:24 <evtushe...@gmail.com> napisał(a):
Coi do!

I'd like to train my Lojban skills. So, I chose to translate some geometry theorems.

good luck. I recommend you try putting the results of your work into a parser, to check if everything's right.

I had some problems while translating.
1) How to translate figure naming on Lojban? For example, is a triangle translation cijga (ci - 3, jgu - rafsi of jganu).

cijgu is an undefined gismu. the rafsi of 'ci' is -cib-, and the rafsi of 'jganu' is -jga-. that makes it 'cibjga', but it still doesn't mean anything sensible — one doesn't use number rafsi in gismu to signify the count of the tertau gismu this way. instead you have to use the word 'cibjgatai' — "form of three angles", or triangle.

2) How to translate the length of the obect?

'nilbra' — x1 is the size of object x2 in dimension x3 on scale x4. (jvajvo definition, may not match with the one in the dictionary)
'nilcla' — x1 is the length of x2 on scale x3. (as above)

the first one is more general, but you may want to use the latter one if you want to abuse 'clani''s assumption of a default dimension.

3) How should I write names of objects? For example, ABC is a tringle/

'.a'y bi'i by.' would be the line between A and B.
'lo cibjgatai... pe .a'y jo'u by. jo'u cy.' — the triangle ABC (that is, "of A, B and C in sequence")

— mi'e la uakci mu'o

Ilmen

Apr 30, 2017, 4:07:09 PM4/30/17

On 30/04/2017 20:37, uakci wrote:
3) How should I write names of objects? For example, ABC is a tringle/

'.a'y bi'i by.' would be the line between A and B.
'lo cibjgatai... pe .a'y jo'u by. jo'u cy.' — the triangle ABC (that is, "of A, B and C in sequence")

You could say {.i ca'e .a'y by cy cibjgatai gi'e se jipno .a'y .e by .e cy} for "Let ABC be a triangle with A, B and C as its vertexes."
You then can refer back to it with {.a'y by cy} ("ABC") as a pronoun.y

For talking about the length of a segment [AB], you can just say {lo ni .a'y darno by ku} or {lo se darlai be .a'y bei by (ku)}, "the distance between A and B".

—Ilmen.

Pierre Abbat

May 10, 2017, 8:32:22 PM5/10/17
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Here's how I'd say it.

ca'e ga'e.abubycy. cibjgatai .i .abu .e by .e cy. kojna .abubycy .i to'a .abu
.e by .e cy. mlapau ga'e .abubycy .i ca'e .abudy. kursa'i to'a .abuboi ga'e dy
.i lo relca'u be .abubycy. cu xadba li .abudy. pi'i to'a .abu

Since {relca'u} is area and {cibyca'u} is volume, {pavyca'u} would then be
length. However, while {lo nilcla be lo sirji} and {lo pavyca'u be lo sirji}
are equal, {lo nilcla be lo cibjgatai} and {lo pavyca'u be lo cibjgatai} are
not: the former is the length of the longest side, while the latter is
nonsensical.

Pierre
--
lo ponse be lo mruli ku po'o cu ga'ezga roda lo ka dinko