Contribution to Imonade

Prakhar Gupta

Jan 28, 2015, 9:05:47 AM1/28/15
to lmnd-...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I am Prakhar Gupta, 3rd year Computer Science student of BITS Pilani Hyderabad Campus. I have strong interest in Machine Learning. I want to start contributing towards it too for enhancing my knowledge. Please tell how can i start.

I have been doing projects from my 2nd year. I would like to briefly describe the kind of work i have done so far.

I did a project in the field of Audio Processing (Music Information Retrieval). The main aim of the project was to search for similar songs given a seed song and generate a playlist (Smart playlist generation).The task of detecting similar songs was done using Machine learning techniques. A song filtering algorithm was designed for finding the similar songs using prominent middle level features like Timbre, Pitch, Tonality, Rhythm and Melody. An idea borrowed for measuring the video similarity, "Voronoi Diagrams" was used to find out the percentage similarity between two songs. A playlist was generated from a large data set of songs using these algorithms.

I did my second project in "Intelligent Monitoring and Diagnostic system for remote and real time patient care". I made a device for real time updating to servers from the data extracted using temperature and heart rate sensors. I analysed the data in between and applied suitable machine learning algorithms for analyzing it.  I can not explicitly tell as the work is still going on and might end up with some very good results. I have also done a similar project on Intelligent tutorial systems where a method was developed to help students learn algorithms in a friendly manner and then try them and analyse where are they making mistakes.

Currently, I am working on Mesh generations using N N Crust algorithm and delaunay triangulation properties for analysing brain activities at various moments of time during the day and night.

I am strong at C, Java, Matlab, Python and Android. I also possess web development skills.

Burcin Erocal

Feb 13, 2015, 3:10:24 AM2/13/15
to Prakhar Gupta, lmnd-...@googlegroups.com, ilasti...@ilastik.org
Hi Prakhar,

thank you for your interest in working on a GSoC project with us.

On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 06:05:47 -0800 (PST)
Prakhar Gupta <prakhar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am Prakhar Gupta, 3rd year Computer Science student of BITS Pilani
> Hyderabad Campus. I have strong interest in Machine Learning. I want
> to start contributing towards it too for enhancing my knowledge.
> Please tell how can i start.

The only project under our umbrella that fits the "machine learning"
label is ilastik. Unfortunately, I don't know what projects they will
be offering this year. You can write to their GSoC mailing list [1] to
contact potential mentors.

In the meantime, I suggest that you download the software [2] and try to
familiarize yourself with it. Looking at the roadmap [3] for tasks you
might want to take on for the summer or having a go at some bugs might
be a good way to convince the developers that you can handle a GSoC
project and they should take time to mentor you. :)

[2] http://ilastik.org
[3] https://github.com/ilastik/ilastik/wiki/Roadmap

Cheers,
Burcin