Couple of questions about participating in the GSoC 2015

Владислав Хижняк

Mar 10, 2015, 1:59:47 PM3/10/15
to lmnd-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, all,

Here are my questions related to lmonade and the GSoC 2015
1. What did happen with VIGRA projects? I found that there were some projects in the VIGRA field (e.g. Image features for machine learning in VIGRA), but now I can't find it.
2. Is there any project that is going to be fated as well as the VIGRA projects? Particularly, I'm interested in projects of the FriCAS.
3. The IRC channel for lmonade is active? My attempts to contact someone via the IRC were failed.

Thank you for your attention,
Best regards,
Vladyslav
(student that is interested in participating in the GSoC 2015)

Waldek Hebisch

Mar 10, 2015, 2:18:27 PM3/10/15
to lmnd-...@googlegroups.com
> 2. Is there any project that is going to be fated as well as the VIGRA
> projects? Particularly, I'm interested in projects of the FriCAS.

I do not know how to interpret this question. Are you asking about
project ideas that disappeared or are going to disappear? Note
that ideas are a staring point. In case of FriCAS the two ideas
are examples of important and doable developements, but FriCAS
has quite large scope so other projects are possible. For
FriCAS specific questions please use:

fricas...@googlegroups.com

--
Waldek Hebisch
heb...@math.uni.wroc.pl

Владислав Хижняк

Mar 10, 2015, 2:28:46 PM3/10/15
to lmnd-...@googlegroups.com
I am asking about the project ideas that are going to disappear (the same as it was with VIGRA project ideas). To be more precise, I mean:
"Is the projects ideas list going to be changed in the near future (one-two weeks) for Lmonade?". Or it depends on a single project?

Also, thank you for the quick answer.
Best regards,
Vladyslav

Burcin Erocal

Mar 10, 2015, 4:51:58 PM3/10/15
to Владислав Хижняк, lmnd-...@googlegroups.com, ilasti...@ilastik.org
Hi Vladyslav,

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 11:28:45 -0700 (PDT)
Владислав Хижняк <kh.v...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. What did happen with VIGRA projects? I found that there were some
> projects in the VIGRA field (e.g. Image features for machine learning
> in VIGRA), but now I can't find it.

I had to remove the project ideas related to VIGRA yesterday since I
learned that the mentors will not have time for GSoC this summer.

Mentoring a GSoC project is a serious commitment. We are lucky that so
many mentors volunteer to take up this task and be available for
questions and code reviews throughout the summer. Unfortunately,
sometimes plans change and we have to adapt to these changes.

You've already expressed interest in FriCAS below. I hope you take a
serious look at their offerings. Otherwise, we have several project
ideas that require C++ knowledge (see linbox for instance).
As Waldek pointed out, the project ideas list is only a starting point.
We added projects to it since lmonade was accepted as a mentoring
organization. In this case, we had to take some ideas off the list.

Feel free to suggest different ideas to the projects (hopefully in the
spirit of those listed on the ideas page already) listed on our GSoC
landing page:

http://wiki.lmona.de/get_involved/gsoc

Thanks for your interest.

Best,