Gave up waiting for suspend/resume device

David Christensen

Aug 16, 2017, 9:50:05 PM8/16/17
debian-user:

I have recently installed:

2017-08-16 18:35:17 dpchrist@tinkywinky ~
$ cat /etc/debian_version
9.1

2017-08-16 18:36:03 dpchrist@tinkywinky ~
$ uname -a
Linux tinkywinky 4.9.0-3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.30-2+deb9u3
(2017-08-06) x86_64 GNU/Linux

on a few older machines (Pentium D 945, Core 2 Duo T7400) with
unencrypted /boot, encrypted swap, and encrypted root partitions.

When booting every machine, after I enter the LUKS passphrase, there is
a ~30 second pause and then the subject message appears:

Gave up waiting for suspend/resume device

As I don't use suspend (or hibernate).

STFW, apparently this is a feature, not a bug:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=gave+up+waiting+for+suspend%2Fresume+device&t=ffsb&ia=web

Is there a configuration file I can edit so that the kernel does not
wait 30 seconds on boot for a suspend/resume device?

David

Curt

Aug 17, 2017, 3:50:07 AM8/17/17
On 2017-08-17, David Christensen <dpch...@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
> debian-user:
>
> I have recently installed:
>
> 2017-08-16 18:35:17 dpchrist@tinkywinky ~
> $ cat /etc/debian_version
> 9.1
>
> 2017-08-16 18:36:03 dpchrist@tinkywinky ~
> $ uname -a
> Linux tinkywinky 4.9.0-3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.30-2+deb9u3
> (2017-08-06) x86_64 GNU/Linux
>

> on a few older machines (Pentium D 945, Core 2 Duo T7400) with
> unencrypted /boot, encrypted swap, and encrypted root partitions.
>

> When booting every machine, after I enter the LUKS passphrase, there is
> a ~30 second pause and then the subject message appears:
>
> Gave up waiting for suspend/resume device
>

> As I don't use suspend (or hibernate).
>

> STFW, apparently this is a feature, not a bug:
>
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=gave+up+waiting+for+suspend%2Fresume+device&t=ffsb&ia=web

Maybe it is a bug rather than a feature:

> Is there a configuration file I can edit so that the kernel does not
> wait 30 seconds on boot for a suspend/resume device?

"kernel parameter 'noresume' or
'resume='"

--
"One can remain alive long past the usual date of disintegration if one is
unafraid of change, insatiable in intellectual curiosity, interested in big

David Christensen

Aug 17, 2017, 7:30:06 PM8/17/17
On 08/17/17 00:44, Curt wrote:
> On 2017-08-17, David Christensen <dpch...@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
>> Is there a configuration file I can edit so that the kernel does not
>> wait 30 seconds on boot for a suspend/resume device?
>
> "kernel parameter 'noresume' or
> 'resume='"

Into which file do I put one of those options?

David

Ben Caradoc-Davies

Aug 17, 2017, 8:30:05 PM8/17/17
I would put it in /etc/default/grub; for example, mine contains:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="quiet"

I would change this to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="quiet noresume"

After changing /etc/default/grub, run "update-grub" to regenerate
/boot/grub/grub.cfg.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <b...@transient.nz>
Director

David Christensen

Aug 17, 2017, 9:30:07 PM8/17/17
On 08/17/17 17:20, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
> On 18/08/17 11:27, David Christensen wrote:
>>> "kernel parameter 'noresume' or
>>> 'resume='"
>> Into which file do I put one of those options?
>
> I would put it in /etc/default/grub; for example, mine contains:
>
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="quiet"
>
> I would change this to:
>
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="quiet noresume"
>
> After changing /etc/default/grub, run "update-grub" to regenerate
> /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

That worked -- thank you. :-)

David