Nintendo NES runs on Allwinner R16

Benjamin Henrion

Nov 6, 2016, 7:56:09 AM11/6/16
to linux...@googlegroups.com
Nintendo NES runs on Allwinner R16:

https://twitter.com/PCBrown/status/793933537867022336

Is there some code around for R16 support?

--
Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-3500762

Icenowy Zheng

Nov 6, 2016, 8:42:07 AM11/6/16
to zoo...@gmail.com, linux...@googlegroups.com

06.11.2016, 20:56, "Benjamin Henrion" <zoo...@gmail.com>:
> Nintendo NES runs on Allwinner R16:
>
> https://twitter.com/PCBrown/status/793933537867022336
>
> Is there some code around for R16 support?

There is some.
R16 is nearly an A33.

But NES Mini have no external interfaces except game controllers.
The only hackable interface found is re-solder a NAND ;-)

> --
> Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
> FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-3500762
> "In July 2005, after several failed attempts to legalise software
> patents in Europe, the patent establishment changed its strategy.
> Instead of explicitly seeking to sanction the patentability of
> software, they are now seeking to create a central European patent
> court, which would establish and enforce patentability rules in their
> favor, without any possibility of correction by competing courts or
> democratically elected legislators."

Jean-Luc Aufranc

Nov 6, 2016, 8:45:46 AM11/6/16
to linux...@googlegroups.com

On 11/06/2016 08:42 PM, Icenowy Zheng wrote:

> 06.11.2016, 20:56, "Benjamin Henrion" <zoo...@gmail.com>:
>> Nintendo NES runs on Allwinner R16:
>>
>> https://twitter.com/PCBrown/status/793933537867022336
>>
>> Is there some code around for R16 support?
> There is some.
> R16 is nearly an A33.
>
> But NES Mini have no external interfaces except game controllers.
> The only hackable interface found is re-solder a NAND ;-)
Or maybe it's possible to access the serial console.

Dmitriy B.

Nov 6, 2016, 11:57:36 AM11/6/16
to ice...@aosc.xyz, zoo...@gmail.com, linux...@googlegroups.com

The only hackable interface found is re-solder a NAND ;-)

It has testpads on PCB, so there is hope for FEL and UART.
Nintendo most likely flashes NAND using standard and known Allwinner's ways, I would be surprised to see if there is something unusual.

Naoki FUKAUMI

Nov 9, 2016, 11:14:50 PM11/9/16
to rzk...@gmail.com, ice...@aosc.xyz, zoo...@gmail.com, linux...@googlegroups.com
hi

On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 1:57 AM, Dmitriy B. <rzk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It has testpads on PCB, so there is hope for FEL and UART.

on Nintendo classic mini(JP model), press & hold RESET, then power on,
then USB is in fel mode.

sunxi-fel version
AWUSBFEX soc=00001667(A33) 00000001 ver=0001 44 08 scratchpad=00007e00
00000000 00000000

Naoki FUKAUMI

Nov 10, 2016, 12:09:30 AM11/10/16
to rzk...@gmail.com, ice...@aosc.xyz, zoo...@gmail.com, linux...@googlegroups.com
...and at least there is UART TX pad between controller connectors.

output(nothing from kernel): http://pastebin.com/H7z8TgK4

I didn't try RX yet. (I have no time, sorry)

Icenowy Zheng

Nov 10, 2016, 12:15:11 AM11/10/16
to Naoki FUKAUMI, rzk...@gmail.com, zoo...@gmail.com, linux...@googlegroups.com

10.11.2016, 12:14, "Naoki FUKAUMI" <nao...@gmail.com>:
> hi
>
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 1:57 AM, Dmitriy B. <rzk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  It has testpads on PCB, so there is hope for FEL and UART.
>
> on Nintendo classic mini(JP model), press & hold RESET, then power on,
> then USB is in fel mode.

How did you get the USB?

Chen-Yu Tsai

Nov 10, 2016, 12:20:12 AM11/10/16
to nao...@gmail.com, rzk...@gmail.com, Icenowy Zheng, zoo...@gmail.com, linux...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 1:09 PM, Naoki FUKAUMI <nao...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...and at least there is UART TX pad between controller connectors.
>
> output(nothing from kernel): http://pastebin.com/H7z8TgK4
>
> I didn't try RX yet. (I have no time, sorry)

If possible can you post a picture of the other side of the PCB?

Thanks
ChenYu

> On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 1:14 PM, Naoki FUKAUMI <nao...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> hi
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 1:57 AM, Dmitriy B. <rzk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It has testpads on PCB, so there is hope for FEL and UART.
>>
>> on Nintendo classic mini(JP model), press & hold RESET, then power on,
>> then USB is in fel mode.
>>
>> sunxi-fel version
>> AWUSBFEX soc=00001667(A33) 00000001 ver=0001 44 08 scratchpad=00007e00
>> 00000000 00000000

Naoki FUKAUMI

Nov 10, 2016, 12:31:35 AM11/10/16
to Icenowy Zheng, rzk...@gmail.com, zoo...@gmail.com, linux...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Icenowy Zheng <ice...@aosc.xyz> wrote:
>> on Nintendo classic mini(JP model), press & hold RESET, then power on,
>> then USB is in fel mode.
>>

> How did you get the USB?

there is microUSB next to HDMI.

Naoki FUKAUMI

Nov 10, 2016, 12:34:15 AM11/10/16
to Chen-Yu Tsai, rzk...@gmail.com, Icenowy Zheng, zoo...@gmail.com, linux...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 2:19 PM, Chen-Yu Tsai <we...@csie.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 1:09 PM, Naoki FUKAUMI <nao...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...and at least there is UART TX pad between controller connectors.
>>
>> output(nothing from kernel): http://pastebin.com/H7z8TgK4
>>
>> I didn't try RX yet. (I have no time, sorry)
>
> If possible can you post a picture of the other side of the PCB?

please refer: (this is not my article)
http://mazu-bunkai.com/bunkai-wp/review/4313/

about UART location, this should be true (at least for TX)
http://www.cnx-software.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Nintendo-NES-Classic-Board-Large.jpg

Mike Valk

Nov 14, 2016, 8:24:59 AM11/14/16
to linux-sunxi, we...@csie.org, rzk...@gmail.com, ice...@aosc.xyz, zoo...@gmail.com
Someone is poking it:

UART:

The NES could mean a great few extra hackers for the SUN-XI community. Lets hope they give back

Benjamin Henrion

Nov 14, 2016, 10:12:24 AM11/14/16
to linux-sunxi

Benjamin Henrion

Nov 14, 2016, 10:17:20 AM11/14/16
to linux-sunxi
On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 4:12 PM, Benjamin Henrion <zoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Mike Valk <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> please refer: (this is not my article)
>>> http://mazu-bunkai.com/bunkai-wp/review/4313/
>>>
>>> about UART location, this should be true (at least for TX)
>>>
>>> http://www.cnx-software.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Nintendo-NES-Classic-Board-Large.jpg
>>

>> Someone is poking it:
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/5cgbkm/linux_on_nes_classic_mini_current_progress_and/?sort=top
>>
>> UART:
>> http://emuonpsp.net/images/famicon_mini_hack/DSC09016_mod.JPG
>>
>> The NES could mean a great few extra hackers for the SUN-XI community. Lets
>> hope they give back
>
> See also: http://hackaday.com/2016/11/13/linux-on-your-nes-classic-edition/

250MB of sources, whatever is on there:

http://data.nintendo.co.jp/oss/NintendoEntertainmentSystemNESClassicEdition_OSS.zip