Lemon Pi on Indiegogo campaign,$35 ARM Quad-core A9 and Imagination PowerVR SGX544 open source board

Embed Studio

May 26, 2015, 5:59:20 PM5/26/15
to linux...@googlegroups.com, embed...@qq.com
The Lemon Pi is a very low-cost open source single-board computer (SBC) equipped with a powerful ARM quad-core Cortex A9 microprocessor integrated with an Imagination PowerVR SGX544 GPU.There are a lot of the same characteristics between Lemon Pi and Raspberry Pi 2,such as the price,the size and the compatible 40 pin interface and so on.But the Lemon Pi has more powerful computing and Imagination GPU hardware acceleration capacity,more IO interface expansion etc.More importantly, Lemon Pi supports many specifictions that Raspberry Pi 2 does not support, such as USB3.0 host, OpenCL that Imagination PowerVR SGX544 supports, android 5.0. S500, which is one of Actions Semi open cource chipset series called ActDuino, is adopted on the Lemon Pi.
    The specification is as following.
Operating systemUbuntu 12.04 + OpenGL ES/OpenCL/GPU acceleration on Kernel 3.10 LTS
Android 5.0 on Kernel 3.10 LTS
Full source code is accessible via our Github
SoCS500
CPUQuad-core Cortex-A9 @28nm
GPUImagination PowerVR SGX544
 (OpenGL ES2.0/1.1, OpenVG 1.0.1, OpenCL)
RAM1GB
Screen interfaceMIPI DSI
Internal storage interfaceSupport eMMC 4.5 up to 64GB
External storage interfaceMicro SD/TF card extensible (card socket)
Video captureFHD 1080P@30fps H.264
TV OutHDMI 1.4 with HDCP and CVBS(integrated in Headphone connector)
Audio output/Input3.5 Headphone connector with wire control
USBUSB2.0 x 2 + USB3.0 (support OTG)
CameraMIPI CSI2
buttonsOn/Off, Reset, ADFU(Actions Device Firmware Update) key
IR Receiversupport remote control
IO Expansion(40 pin)+3.3V,+5V,GND,I2C,UART,SPI,PCM,UART,I2S,GPIO x16
Ethernet10/100 Mbps
PMU and Audio CodecATC2603C
Power DCIN5V/700mA
Size85mm x 56mm approx
    Nowadays the Lemon Pi is going on Indiegogo campaign at
    http://igg.me/at/lemonpi   (    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lemon-pi-35-arm-quad-core-a9-open-source-board   ),you can visit it for more details.
    Many thanks for your time to read my letter.Don't hesitate to ask any question or give advice to us. We will keep you updated and respond to you as soon as possible.
    I expect to receive your reply.
    Thanks.

jons...@gmail.com

May 26, 2015, 6:13:07 PM5/26/15
to embedst...@gmail.com, linux-sunxi, embedstudio
What is the github link to the mentioned source code for the Android 5.0 port?

Embed Studio

May 26, 2015, 6:32:19 PM5/26/15
to jons...@gmail.com, linux-sunxi, embedstudio, b...@embedstudio.com, ste...@embedstudio.com
SDK is being prepared. you know, Lemon Pi is on campaign process. Everything including code/document/datasheet/hardware material etc. will be availabel as soon as possible.

Julian Calaby

May 26, 2015, 7:28:40 PM5/26/15
to embedst...@gmail.com, linux-sunxi, embed...@qq.com
Hi,

Stupid question: isn't this kinda off-topic for this list as the SoC on the LemonPi isn't an Allwinner part?

Thanks,

Julian Calaby

jons...@gmail.com

May 26, 2015, 8:06:15 PM5/26/15
to Julian Calaby, embedst...@gmail.com, linux-sunxi, embedstudio
On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 7:28 PM, Julian Calaby <julian...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Stupid question: isn't this kinda off-topic for this list as the SoC on the LemonPi isn't an Allwinner part?

Are there lists for these other Chinese vendors?  I haven't found one for Rockchip or AMLogic.

Julian Calaby

May 26, 2015, 8:17:15 PM5/26/15
to jons...@gmail.com, embedst...@gmail.com, linux-sunxi, embedstudio
Hi Jon,

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 10:06 AM, jons...@gmail.com <jons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 7:28 PM, Julian Calaby <julian...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Stupid question: isn't this kinda off-topic for this list as the SoC on the LemonPi isn't an Allwinner part?
>

> Are there lists for these other Chinese vendors? I haven't found one for Rockchip or AMLogic.

I'm not aware of any either, but I haven't had reason to find them
yet. - I don't have many ARM devices and haven't had a reason to do
any development for any which aren't Allwinner.

Thanks,

Priit Laes

May 27, 2015, 12:52:51 AM5/27/15
to linux...@googlegroups.com, Embed Studio, embedstudio, b...@embedstudio.com, ste...@embedstudio.com
On Wed, 2015-05-27 at 06:32 +0800, Embed Studio wrote:
> SDK is being prepared. you know, Lemon Pi is on campaign process.
> Everything including code/document/datasheet/hardware material etc.
> will be availabel as soon as possible.

I don't think that neither You (EmbedStudio) or Actions Semi understand
s what "Open Source" means.

There's no mention of Actions Techology SoCs in the latest mainline
kernel tree and neither in relevant mailing lists. Besides I can't even
find a proper datasheet or programmers manual for S500 SoC. And good
luck with PowerVR.

Therefore please stop spamming because this list is for discussing
Allwinner SoC hardware and relevant Open Source projects.
> > > ojects/lemon-pi-35-arm-quad-core-a9-open-source-board ; ),you can visit it for more details.

Luc Verhaegen

May 27, 2015, 3:04:42 AM5/27/15
to jons...@gmail.com, Julian Calaby, linux-sunxi
On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 08:06:13PM -0400, jons...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 7:28 PM, Julian Calaby <julian...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Stupid question: isn't this kinda off-topic for this list as the SoC on
> > the LemonPi isn't an Allwinner part?
> >

> Are there lists for these other Chinese vendors? I haven't found one for
> Rockchip or AMLogic.

As stated on http://linux-rockchip.info/mw/ it is on googlegroups as
well: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/linux-rockchip

For amlogic, things are not as far advanced:
http://linux-meson.com/doku.php#community

ActSemi seems to have no community at all.

When it is stated that linux-sunxi is special, then they are not lying.

Luc Verhaegen.

Luc Verhaegen

May 27, 2015, 3:10:25 AM5/27/15
to Julian Calaby, embedst...@gmail.com, linux-sunxi, embed...@qq.com
On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 09:28:18AM +1000, Julian Calaby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Stupid question: isn't this kinda off-topic for this list as the SoC on the
> LemonPi isn't an Allwinner part?

This is very off-topic and should be considered spam indeed.

So this is what the crowd-funding and/or "raspberry pi beater"
golddiggers have come to these days...

Luc Verhaegen.

Julian Calaby

May 27, 2015, 3:13:05 AM5/27/15
to Luc Verhaegen, Embed Studio, linux-sunxi, embedstudio
Hi Luc,
Apparently so.

I'm waiting for them to run out of fruit options.

Thanks,

Andrea Venturi

May 27, 2015, 3:54:16 AM5/27/15
to linux...@googlegroups.com, li...@skynet.be, embed...@qq.com, embedst...@gmail.com

On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 9:13:05 AM UTC+2, Julian Calaby wrote:

I'm waiting for them to run out of fruit options.

just to keep this thread REALLY out of topic, the "fruit race" remembers me my early days (80ies..) of computing when my father bought me and my brother a not so cheap Apple //e (beware the precise syntax.. not an older Apple ][  :-) but there were already at the time, the "china clones" (at the time the 6502 based Apple was more or less an open design..) with resembling names like PearPc or Lemon and Orange.. (as far as i remember..)

it's really true that history repeats itself periodically! :-) ..sorry for the unuseful post, no tree has been harmed anyway for it!

Priit Laes

May 27, 2015, 4:01:36 AM5/27/15
to linux...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 2015-05-27 at 00:54 -0700, Andrea Venturi wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 9:13:05 AM UTC+2, Julian Calaby wrote:
> > I'm waiting for them to run out of fruit options.
> >

> just to keep this thread REALLY out of topic, the "fruit race"
> remembers me my early days (80ies..) of computing when my father
> bought me and my brother a not so cheap Apple //e (beware the precise
> syntax.. not an older Apple ][ :-) but there were already at the
> time, the "china clones" (at the time the 6502 based Apple was more
> or less an open design..) with resembling names like PearPc or Lemon
> and Orange.. (as far as i remember..)

Not only China, but Europe and South America too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_II_series#Clones

> it's really true that history repeats itself periodically! :-)
> ..sorry for the unuseful post, no tree has been harmed anyway for it!

Luc Verhaegen

May 27, 2015, 4:08:25 AM5/27/15
to Priit Laes, linux...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 10:58:45AM +0300, Priit Laes wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-05-27 at 00:54 -0700, Andrea Venturi wrote:
> >

> > On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 9:13:05 AM UTC+2, Julian Calaby wrote:
> > > I'm waiting for them to run out of fruit options.
> > >

> > just to keep this thread REALLY out of topic, the "fruit race"
> > remembers me my early days (80ies..) of computing when my father
> > bought me and my brother a not so cheap Apple //e (beware the precise
> > syntax.. not an older Apple ][ :-) but there were already at the
> > time, the "china clones" (at the time the 6502 based Apple was more
> > or less an open design..) with resembling names like PearPc or Lemon
> > and Orange.. (as far as i remember..)
>
> Not only China, but Europe and South America too.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_II_series#Clones

Somehow, this discussion about history repeating is more interesting and
ontopic than the spammail it is based on :)

Luc Verhaegen.

Simos Xenitellis

May 27, 2015, 7:17:02 AM5/27/15
to embedst...@gmail.com, jons...@gmail.com, linux-sunxi, embedstudio, b...@embedstudio.com, ste...@embedstudio.com

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 1:32 AM, Embed Studio <embedst...@gmail.com> wrote:
SDK is being prepared. you know, Lemon Pi is on campaign process. Everything including code/document/datasheet/hardware material etc. will be availabel as soon as possible.

There are quite of a few things to do and probably should have been done before the campaign on Indiegogo.

1. The campaign on Indiegogo is a "Flexible campaign", which means that even if you do not manage to reach the funding target, you get to keep the money.
The standard Indiegogo campaign type ("Fixed") is to return the money if you do not manage to reach the funding target.
If you go for the Flexible type, you need to build confidence that the device is working and what you are promising can be delivered.

For example, you mention on the Indiegogo page that you ported the device to Ubuntu. Here you can show the dmesg output (put it on pastebin.com),
run benchmarks or provide other relevant information.
You can also send a sample to websites like cnx-software.com so that they can review it for you.

2. The position that Actions Semi is now, was probably what was with Allwinner at around 2012 (that is, in early stages for a developer board)
But before that campaign, there was (independent) developer effort and confidence.
You may want to contact Tom Cubie (from Cubieboard campaign) and ask for advice.

3. Actions Semi is a new fabless company, so in order to gain the interest of developers/users,
you need to do some things much better than what is available with existing developer boards.

Finally, this Google group is about Allwinner SoCs and it does not look nice to talk about different SoCs here.

Hope this helps,
Simos

Carlo Caione

May 27, 2015, 8:52:59 AM5/27/15
to li...@skynet.be, jons...@gmail.com, Julian Calaby, linux-sunxi
On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 9:04 AM, Luc Verhaegen <li...@skynet.be> wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 08:06:13PM -0400, jons...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 7:28 PM, Julian Calaby <julian...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Stupid question: isn't this kinda off-topic for this list as the SoC on
>> > the LemonPi isn't an Allwinner part?
>> >

>> Are there lists for these other Chinese vendors? I haven't found one for
>> Rockchip or AMLogic.
>
> As stated on http://linux-rockchip.info/mw/ it is on googlegroups as
> well: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/linux-rockchip
>
> For amlogic, things are not as far advanced:
> http://linux-meson.com/doku.php#community

Well, things are going on actually. Really slowly since I'm basically
the only one working on it, but they are going on.

--
Carlo Caione

Luc Verhaegen

May 27, 2015, 8:58:43 AM5/27/15