Re: [linux-sunxi] Re: Firmaware update mode doesn't working on allwinner a31

Oliver Schinagl

Apr 23, 2013, 10:01:22 AM4/23/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com
On 23-04-13 15:56, m...@petercairns.co.uk wrote:
>> So, that's my question: how can I make this bootabe sd for allwinner a31?
> Yup, you need to use Phoenix Card - the tool for creating special bootable flash cards. Look here for more info, section 1.1 http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/hacking_the_mele_a1000/android/
>
> One thing not mentioned in the above link is that you must only have a single card reader present, otherwise Phoenixcard doesn't work.
>
> I don't know for sure if this tool works on the A31, but it should do if it's generic enough for the Allwinner SoCs.

Wouldn't http://linux-sunxi.org/Sunxi-tools#fel-boot work as well?

If you dd that onto an SD card, hat should force the CPU into FEL mode.
Other then that, you have the fel 'pins' if exposed. If the SD card
doesn't work to get it into fel mode, something might actually be dead.

Oliver Schinagl

Apr 23, 2013, 10:03:36 AM4/23/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com
On 23-04-13 16:01, Oliver Schinagl wrote:
> On 23-04-13 15:56, m...@petercairns.co.uk wrote:
>>> So, that's my question: how can I make this bootabe sd for allwinner
>>> a31?
>> Yup, you need to use Phoenix Card - the tool for creating special
>> bootable flash cards. Look here for more info, section 1.1
>> http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/hacking_the_mele_a1000/android/
>>
>> One thing not mentioned in the above link is that you must only have
>> a single card reader present, otherwise Phoenixcard doesn't work.
>>
>> I don't know for sure if this tool works on the A31, but it should do
>> if it's generic enough for the Allwinner SoCs.
>>
> Wouldn't http://linux-sunxi.org/Sunxi-tools#fel-boot work as well?
Hmm, I thought the wiki listed more info then a header, but check out
sunxi-tools on github, fel-boot.c to be precise.

Андрей Зворыгин

Apr 23, 2013, 10:43:55 AM4/23/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com
Thx for help guys. But this methods doesn't work :-( Except sd card tool. This is my last chance...

вторник, 23 апреля 2013 г., 14:17:36 UTC+4 пользователь Андрей Зворыгин написал:
Hey guys! Please, help me with my problem. I have Chuwi V10 tablet, and once day I'd installed Ampe A10 quad core firmware on it. And now, I can't enter to firmware update mode (Vol+ -> plugin usb cable -> press power many times) and can't update firmware through Phoenix Suite. I read that it is possible to create bootable sd-card for allwinner a10 devices. So, that's my question: how can I make this bootabe sd for allwinner a31?

Neal Peacock

Apr 23, 2013, 12:07:30 PM4/23/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com
I have seen tablets before with a 'fel boot' button instead of a reset button.О©╫ I'm guessing that when you reflashed with a different devices firmware the key codes for the hardware buttons changed leaving you unable to enter fel boot mode with the new firmware.О©╫ I have seen these codes change between two shipments of the same tablet with the same control board.

On 04/23/2013 10:43 AM, О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫ О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫ wrote:
Thx for help guys. But this methods doesn't work :-( Except sd card tool. This is my last chance...

О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫, 23 О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫ 2013О©╫О©╫., 14:17:36 UTC+4 О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫ О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫ О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫ О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫:
Hey guys! Please, help me with my problem. I have Chuwi V10 tablet, and once day I'd installed Ampe A10 quad core firmware on it. And now, I can't enter to firmware update mode (Vol+ -> plugin usb cable -> press power many times) and can't update firmware through Phoenix Suite. I read that it is possible to create bootable sd-card for allwinner a10 devices. So, that's my question: how can I make this bootabe sd for allwinner a31?
О©╫
О©╫

--
Neal Peacock
PengPod

Oliver Schinagl

Apr 23, 2013, 12:40:53 PM4/23/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com
On 04/23/13 18:07, Neal Peacock wrote:
> I have seen tablets before with a 'fel boot' button instead of a reset
> button. I'm guessing that when you reflashed with a different devices
> firmware the key codes for the hardware buttons changed leaving you
> unable to enter fel boot mode with the new firmware. I have seen these
> codes change between two shipments of the same tablet with the same
> control board.
Those keys are hard-programmed into the BROM, and can't be changed afaik.

But yes, boot0 could in theory be reconfigured for a particular device
and have different keymappings. I don't think customers get the boot0
source however, it's internal to allwinner I belive.

> On 04/23/2013 10:43 AM, О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫ О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫ wrote:
>> Thx for help guys. But this methods doesn't work :-( Except sd card
>> tool. This is my last chance...
I don't think the SD card tool does anything other then what is in
fel-boot.c Basically, the CPU executes that instruction from the SD
card, and jumps directly to fel mode. If that doesn't work, nothing will.

Though I gladly be proven wrong.

>> О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫, 23 О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫ 2013 О©╫., 14:17:36 UTC+4 О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫ О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫
>> О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫ О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫:
>>
>> Hey guys! Please, help me with my problem. I have Chuwi V10
>> tablet, and once day I'd installed Ampe A10 quad core firmware on
>> it. And now, I can't enter to firmware update mode (Vol+ -> plugin
>> usb cable -> press power many times) and can't update firmware
>> through Phoenix Suite. I read that it is possible to create
>> bootable sd-card for allwinner a10 devices. So, that's my
>> question: how can I make this bootabe sd for allwinner a31?
>>
>> --
>>

> --
> Neal Peacock
> PengPod

Андрей Зворыгин

Apr 24, 2013, 1:42:51 AM4/24/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com
Neal Peacock, can you tell me, where this key codes setting are located? After wrong firmware update I tried to restore my old partitions with dd (from nanda to nandi). But key layout has not changed...

2013/4/23 Neal Peacock <kuliman...@gmail.com>
I have seen tablets before with a 'fel boot' button instead of a reset button.  I'm guessing that when you reflashed with a different devices firmware the key codes for the hardware buttons changed leaving you unable to enter fel boot mode with the new firmware.  I have seen these codes change between two shipments of the same tablet with the same control board.

On 04/23/2013 10:43 AM, Андрей Зворыгин wrote:
Thx for help guys. But this methods doesn't work :-( Except sd card tool. This is my last chance...

вторник, 23 апреля 2013 г., 14:17:36 UTC+4 пользователь Андрей Зворыгин написал:
Hey guys! Please, help me with my problem. I have Chuwi V10 tablet, and once day I'd installed Ampe A10 quad core firmware on it. And now, I can't enter to firmware update mode (Vol+ -> plugin usb cable -> press power many times) and can't update firmware through Phoenix Suite. I read that it is possible to create bootable sd-card for allwinner a10 devices. So, that's my question: how can I make this bootabe sd for allwinner a31?

Neal Peacock
PengPod

Oliver Schinagl

Apr 24, 2013, 3:13:58 AM4/24/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com
On 24-04-13 07:42, О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫ О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫ wrote:
Neal Peacock, can you tell me, where this key codes setting are located? After wrong firmware update I tried to restore my old partitions with dd (from nanda to nandi). But key layout has not changed...
FEL mode (by keypress) is either initiated by the BROM or by boot0. Even if it is done by boot1, those 3 files are located:
BROM = INSIDE the chip. You cannot ever change it. BROM first tries to boot from mmc0, then from nand. If those fail (and some other options, see the wiki) it forcefully boots to FEL mode.
boot0 and boot1 are both stored BEFORE /dev/block/nanda. Normal users can't really access it. You could a dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/nand (so whipe the Entire nand device) and boot0/1 would still survive as it is on a special area before the 'disk'. You'd have to flash a livesuit image to mess boot0 and boot1 up, and even that's assuming they somehow obtained a special version from Allwinner with keys swapped which is EXTEMLY unlikly.

Your best option to enter fel mode is to cross compile boot-fel.c (instructions inside the C file) and dd that onto an empty SD card (instructions in the C file).

Then insert the SD card and force a boot (power off/power on) you can force a power off by holding the power button anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds.

[...]

Андрей Зворыгин

Apr 24, 2013, 5:47:11 AM4/24/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com, olive...@schinagl.nl
Thx very much. I'll try this method.

Tom Cubie

Apr 24, 2013, 6:02:51 AM4/24/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Андрей Зворыгин
<mount.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thx very much. I'll try this method.

If you can connect via adb, run the following command in adb shell

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/nanda
reboot

you will have your device bricked, and boot into fel mode.

--
Keep simple, stay foolish.

Андрей Зворыгин

Apr 24, 2013, 7:00:48 AM4/24/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com
Tom, thanks for your reply. But are you sure that AllWinner A31 device will boot in fel mode if I do this?

Neal Peacock

Apr 24, 2013, 12:11:19 PM4/24/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com

On 04/24/2013 03:13 AM, Oliver Schinagl wrote:
On 24-04-13 07:42, О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫ О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫ wrote:
Neal Peacock, can you tell me, where this key codes setting are located? After wrong firmware update I tried to restore my old partitions with dd (from nanda to nandi). But key layout has not changed...
FEL mode (by keypress) is either initiated by the BROM or by boot0. Even if it is done by boot1, those 3 files are located:
Good point.О©╫ I think from watching the debug messages during an SD card boot we can establish that boot0 does not run with an SD boot.О©╫ Since holding the buttons down will still take control of the boot process and force FEL even in the presence of an SD card we must conclude that decision was made by the BROM.

BROM = INSIDE the chip. You cannot ever change it. BROM first tries to boot from mmc0, then from nand. If those fail (and some other options, see the wiki) it forcefully boots to FEL mode.
boot0 and boot1 are both stored BEFORE /dev/block/nanda. Normal users can't really access it. You could a dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/nand (so whipe the Entire nand device) and boot0/1 would still survive as it is on a special area before the 'disk'. You'd have to flash a livesuit image to mess boot0 and boot1 up, and even that's assuming they somehow obtained a special version from Allwinner with keys swapped which is EXTEMLY unlikly.

If it is the BROM then it is the same across all hardware right?О©╫ I assume this means the BROM is just looking for any button tied to the built in keyboard controller, since the sun4i-keyboard is where we see these hardware keys in the Kernel.О©╫ In which case, why wouldn't it still work after flashing with the wrong image?

Oliver Schinagl

Apr 24, 2013, 12:54:25 PM4/24/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com
On 04/24/13 18:11, Neal Peacock wrote:

> On 04/24/2013 03:13 AM, Oliver Schinagl wrote:
>> On 24-04-13 07:42, О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫ О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫О©╫ wrote:
>>> Neal Peacock, can you tell me, where this key codes setting are
>>> located? After wrong firmware update I tried to restore my old
>>> partitions with dd (from nanda to nandi). But key layout has not
>>> changed...
>> FEL mode (by keypress) is either initiated by the BROM or by boot0.
>> Even if it is done by boot1, those 3 files are located:
> Good point. I think from watching the debug messages during an SD card
> boot we can establish that boot0 does not run with an SD boot. Since
> holding the buttons down will still take control of the boot process and
> force FEL even in the presence of an SD card we must conclude that
> decision was made by the BROM.
I fully aggree.

>> BROM = INSIDE the chip. You cannot ever change it. BROM first tries to
>> boot from mmc0, then from nand. If those fail (and some other options,
>> see the wiki) it forcefully boots to FEL mode.
>> boot0 and boot1 are both stored BEFORE /dev/block/nanda. Normal users
>> can't really access it. You could a dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/nand
>> (so whipe the Entire nand device) and boot0/1 would still survive as
>> it is on a special area before the 'disk'. You'd have to flash a
>> livesuit image to mess boot0 and boot1 up, and even that's assuming
>> they somehow obtained a special version from Allwinner with keys
>> swapped which is EXTEMLY unlikly.
>
> If it is the BROM then it is the same across all hardware right? I
> assume this means the BROM is just looking for any button tied to the
> built in keyboard controller, since the sun4i-keyboard is where we see
> these hardware keys in the Kernel. In which case, why wouldn't it still
> work after flashing with the wrong image?

I think 'some' buttons are tied to the AXP gpio isn't it? Or atleast
there's the option available. I think the power button for example. This
is why you can press the power button for XX seconds and it'll force the
device off, no matter what. If it where passed on from the SoC, that
wouldn't always have to work (crashed kernel).

The volume keys are mapped to the LRADC, low resolution ADC. I think
there's actually more keys mapped to the LRADC from some code I saw.
Each key produces a different Resistance and thus is identified via
that. Not really elegant but a cool hack nevertheless.

All in all, FEL mode is unrelated to key mappings, unless you change
some resistors, you can't break it.

Андрей Зворыгин

Apr 25, 2013, 12:56:04 AM4/25/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com
One more thing, I tried to flash correct image with PhoenixSuit 1.0.6 with turnedon tablet. After I pressed "Update" button, tablet reboots and detects as vid_1f3a&pid_efe8. But after that I received error "PnpFelIn".
So, if I understand correctly, I can't repair my tablet without intervention to hardware or destroying boot image? :-(

Андрей Зворыгин

Apr 25, 2013, 5:42:34 AM4/25/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com
And one more thing. Allwinner has released the kernel sources for its A31 http://bit.ly/11DGp9i. With A31 u-boot sources I can create bootable sd, right?

Neal Peacock

Apr 25, 2013, 10:18:21 AM4/25/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com

On 04/25/2013 05:42 AM, Андрей Зворыгин wrote:
And one more thing. Allwinner has released the kernel sources for its A31 http://bit.ly/11DGp9i. With A31 u-boot sources I can create bootable sd, right?
I'm getting ready to take this on too.  I have been waiting for a A31 device with a serial debug header but haven't found one yet.  Has anyone else had any luck with this?

Neal Peacock
PengPod

Андрей Зворыгин

Apr 25, 2013, 12:07:12 PM4/25/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com, m...@petercairns.co.uk
yes, I tried this method. No results...

четверг, 25 апреля 2013 г., 14:35:00 UTC+4 пользователь m...@petercairns.co.uk написал:
On Thursday, April 25, 2013 6:56:04 AM UTC+2, Андрей Зворыгин wrote:
> One more thing, I tried to flash correct image with PhoenixSuit 1.0.6 with turnedon tablet. After I pressed "Update" button, tablet reboots and detects as vid_1f3a&pid_efe8. But after that I received error "PnpFelIn".
> So, if I understand correctly, I can't repair my tablet without intervention to hardware or destroying boot image? :-(

Have you tried the fel-boot.c method as suggested by Oliver? If so, what were your results?

Also, make sure that you have the correct image for your device, preferably from the manufacturer (though that is no guarantee!).

Tom Cubie

Apr 26, 2013, 9:15:31 AM4/26/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 7:00 PM, Андрей Зворыгин
<mount.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tom, thanks for your reply. But are you sure that AllWinner A31 device will
> boot in fel mode if I do this?

Of course. BROM -> boot0 -> boot1, any step is wrong, the device will
go to fel mode.

Tom Cubie

Apr 26, 2013, 9:25:29 AM4/26/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 10:18 PM, Neal Peacock <kuliman...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/25/2013 05:42 AM, Андрей Зворыгин wrote:
>
> And one more thing. Allwinner has released the kernel sources for its A31
> http://bit.ly/11DGp9i. With A31 u-boot sources I can create bootable sd,
> right?
>
> I'm getting ready to take this on too. I have been waiting for a A31 device
> with a serial debug header but haven't found one yet. Has anyone else had
> any luck with this?

You need this, the uSD breakout board.
https://cubieboard.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/usd-breakout-board
A31 can also use the uSD pins as uart pins. For a31 tablets, hold a
key(ie Vol-), and long press the power key to power on, and then press
another key(ie Vol+), the uSD pin will be set as uart pin. You can get
serial console on uSD breakout board.

> --
>

> --
> Neal Peacock
> PengPod
>
> --

Keep simple, stay foolish.

Tom Cubie

Apr 26, 2013, 9:33:49 AM4/26/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com
No, no spl support yet. However, you can make a bootable sd card image
with another tool, phonex card. You can also restore your image to
nand with this tool. You can find the tool and readme here:
http://tom.linux-sunxi.org/mom/

I wrote it for a client before.

Андрей Зворыгин

Apr 27, 2013, 5:42:10 AM4/27/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com
OK, I will try it. Thanks for help!

Андрей Зворыгин

Apr 27, 2013, 7:32:47 AM4/27/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com
OMG! That works! Works! I filled /dev/block/nanda with zeroes and tablet was boot in fel mode. Thank you!

Андрей Зворыгин

Apr 27, 2013, 10:50:36 AM4/27/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com

Of course. Finally I updated firmware to ver. 2.0.

On Apr 27, 2013 6:47 PM, <m...@petercairns.co.uk> wrote:
Great news! :)

Did you get the tablet flashed in the end?

> OMG! That works! Works! I filled /dev/block/nanda with zeroes and tablet was boot in fel mode. Thank you!

adib...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2013, 1:16:26 PM9/25/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, April 23, 2013 12:17:36 PM UTC+2, Андрей Зворыгин wrote:
> Hey guys! Please, help me with my problem. I have Chuwi V10 tablet, and once day I'd installed Ampe A10 quad core firmware on it. And now, I can't enter to firmware update mode (Vol+ -> plugin usb cable -> press power many times) and can't update firmware through Phoenix Suite. I read that it is possible to create bootable sd-card for allwinner a10 devices. So, that's my question: how can I make this bootabe sd for allwinner a31?

I don't want to get on your bad side.. but have you updated the Phoenix Suit? it's 1.07 and try some more times with the boot thingvol+ cable 5-7 presses on power.

I'm still on the second version of the firmware and i'm trying to get Christian Troy to build 4.3 for me (for money)

if you need that version of the stock rom, please let me know

abril...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2014, 8:30:27 AM1/19/14
to linux...@googlegroups.com
Hi! I have same problem. Can you say why you did? thanks!