Full Duplex and VCO Separation

Brian Padalino

Feb 25, 2013, 10:26:24 AM2/25/13
to limemicro-...@googlegroups.com
When setting up for full duplex operation, is there a recommended frequency offset that should exist between the RX and TX VCO's?  If you violate the recommendation, what does that look like on the received signal?  Does it modulate the incoming signal by the beat frequency between the two VCO's?

Do I have to follow the same guidelines if I am doing half duplex operation or can I have both of the VCOs up and running on the same frequency while toggling the RXEN and TXEN control signals?

Thanks,
Brian

Ricardas Vadoklis

Feb 25, 2013, 11:26:22 AM2/25/13
to limemicro-...@googlegroups.com
Brian,

We do recommend to keep 1 MHz difference between the Tx PLL and Rx PLL
in full duplex operation. The recommended frequency difference will
guarantee PLL stability and PLL phase noise performance.

There is no need to have frequency difference between Tx/Rx PLL in half
duplex mode, as only one VCO will work at time.

Best Regards,
Ricardas Vadoklis,
> --
> Visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/limemicro-opensource?hl=en-US.

Alexander Chemeris

Feb 25, 2013, 5:37:59 PM2/25/13
to limemicro-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Ricardas Vadoklis
<r.vad...@limemicro.com> wrote:
>> Do I have to follow the same guidelines if I am doing half duplex operation or can I have
>> both of the VCOs up and running on the same frequency while toggling the RXEN and
>> TXEN control signals?
> There is no need to have frequency difference between Tx/Rx PLL in half
> duplex mode, as only one VCO will work at time.

Is that true for the "semi-TDD" mode about which Brian is asking? I.e.
when LMS6002D is operating in FDD mode an dyu use RXEN/TXEN to switch
between Rx and Tx?

--
Regards,
Alexander Chemeris.

Ricardas Vadoklis

Feb 26, 2013, 7:50:53 AM2/26/13
to limemicro-...@googlegroups.com
Alexander,

Yes, it is the same, because only one VCO will be power on whatever you
use to switch between Tx and Rx; hardware enable pins (RXEN/TXEN) or
software enable.

Best Regards,
Ricardas Vadoklis,

Alexander Chemeris

Mar 1, 2013, 10:03:27 AM3/1/13
to limemicro-...@googlegroups.com
Ricardas,

Just to make sure - is SRXEN/STXEN registers equivalent to TXEN/RXEN pins?

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Ricardas Vadoklis
> --
> Visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/limemicro-opensource?hl=en-US.

Srdjan Milenkovic

Mar 1, 2013, 10:46:44 AM3/1/13
to limemicro-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alexander,

Yes they are, internal control signals are constructed using logical AND
in the following way

iTXEN = TXEN and STXEN
iRXEN = RXEN and SRXEN
>>> CEO, Fairwaves LLC / яПНяПНяПН яПНяПНяПНяПНяПНяПНяПН
>>> http://fairwaves.ru
>>>
>> --
>> Visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/limemicro-opensource?hl=en-US.
>>

> --
> Regards,
> Alexander Chemeris.
> CEO, Fairwaves LLC / яПНяПНяПН яПНяПНяПНяПНяПНяПНяПН
> http://fairwaves.ru

Alexander Chemeris

Mar 2, 2013, 5:20:44 PM3/2/13
to limemicro-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Srdjan,

Thank you for clarification. I've added this info to the documentation
notes on github:
https://github.com/chemeris/lms6002-documentation/blob/master/issues.md