Why Chromium and node-webkit ?

Christopher Graham

Dec 11, 2013, 3:24:55 PM12/11/13
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
Chris, being interested in cross-platform software development, I'm curious: why did you decide to base Light Table development upon Chromium and node-webkit, instead of, say, Clojure / Java c/w JavaFX, or Qt 5 ?

Chris Granger

Dec 11, 2013, 3:44:37 PM12/11/13
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
Simple answer: html is incredibly flexible, fast to build things in, and has tons of work being poured into it every day. On top of that, it's where all the time and money is being spent these days, so it will continue to improve dramatically (who is investing in desktop-level java stuff anymore?). The java->webkit bridges are all tremendously slow, otherwise I would've used those probably. node-webkit gives me the full power of the node community with one of the fastest front-ends for HTML out there on all platforms. It just seemed to be the logical choice for getting something on all desktops quickly.

Cheers,
Chris.

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Christopher Graham <soc...@transcendentalmobile.com> wrote:
Chris, being interested in cross-platform software development, I'm curious: why did you decide to base Light Table development upon Chromium and node-webkit, instead of, say, Clojure / Java c/w JavaFX, or Qt 5 ?

Daniel Ribeiro

Dec 11, 2013, 3:59:25 PM12/11/13
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
Woudn't that also open the possibilitie to more easily have lighttable running in the browser?

Cheers,
Chris.

Chris Granger

Dec 11, 2013, 4:02:46 PM12/11/13
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
Initially that was a thought, but I'm still convinced the industry isn't ready to make that shift yet - not while programming remains the same.

Cheers,
Chris.