Source Code?

celi...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2013, 6:55:59 PM2/28/13
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
I tried to find the source code for this project, but I wasn't able to. Is the project open source? Where can I find the source?

Ethan Sherbondy

Mar 1, 2013, 12:07:29 AM3/1/13
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
Chris has stated that they eventually intend to open source the project.

But because Light Table is still in its primordial stages and the code base is changing so rapidly from one day to the next, the team would rather wait until the project has matured and stabilized a bit before releasing it to the public. I'm guessing their rationale is that any efforts taken now to release the code, document the project, and onboard fellow developers would:

1. Take up a ton of time (and thus detract from the development effort)
2. Cause a great deal of friction because much of the architecture/design is still underway

You can read more of their rationale in the Kickstarter project's FAQ.

(Please correct me if I've misrepresented you, Chris and Robert)

Ethan Sherbondy

Mar 1, 2013, 12:08:20 AM3/1/13
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
That being said, try installing Light Table and poking around in the ~/.lighttable folder in your home directory :P

Chris Granger

Mar 1, 2013, 12:54:54 AM3/1/13
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
That basically sums it up :) It definitely will be open source, but the opportunity cost of us doing it at this stage is way too high and would actually jeopardize the project but forcing us into sticking with things that aren't fully baked.

Cheers,
Chris.

Michael Latta

Mar 1, 2013, 9:25:55 AM3/1/13
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

Why is the generated js and static assets placed in ~/.lighttable rather than living under the .app bundle?  From a product packaging point of view this seems odd.  Those files should be static on installations (other than yours).  Or, is this because you assume end users will be modifying the source and so a shared .app is less suitable to your use cases?

Michael

cur...@ram9.cc

Apr 2, 2013, 3:49:50 PM4/2/13
to light-table...@googlegroups.com

Chris,

Why is the generated js and static assets placed in ~/.lighttable rather than living under the .app bundle?  From a product packaging point of view this seems odd.  Those files should be static on installations (other than yours).  Or, is this because you assume end users will be modifying the source and so a shared .app is less suitable to your use cases?

I think this is covered by Ethan Sherbondy about why they are not releasing the source.

"2. Cause a great deal of friction because much of the architecture/design is still underway"

That said - it would be great to be able to get read access to the source as soon as you guys are willing so i can add features that i would use

Michael

On Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:55:59 PM UTC-5, celi...@gmail.com wrote:
I tried to find the source code for this project, but I wasn't able to. Is the project open source? Where can I find the source?

Michael Latta

Apr 2, 2013, 4:08:48 PM4/2/13
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
That was not my point at all.  The JS files are generated from the clojure script sources (I presume) and I would not think they would change for other reasons than a product update.  I was wondering about the choice to put those files in the ~/.lighttable directory rather than under the .app bundle.  If the assumption was that each user needed their own JS files to allow for local modifications that could make sense once the cljs source is released, but I would think the js files are basically like the compiled machine instructions of a jit compiler and so could be stashed away in library/application support (on a mac).  If ~/.lighttable is just a convenient place to put generated files and other temp data for the time being, and more reliably cross-platform I can see that argument.

Michael

Michael Latta

Apr 2, 2013, 4:08:48 PM4/2/13