foursquare.com now basically all on Lift

harryh

Nov 17, 2009, 3:16:39 PM11/17/09
to Lift
I've been a bit coy about it on the list, but three months ago when I
joined the team at foursquare.com I made the final decision that we
would port our webservers to Scala/Lift. It took about 3 months, but
foursquare.com is now basically running only on Lift(1). This
includes the website, a mobile website (m.foursquare.com) and a simple
(but growing!) REST api (api.foursquare.com).

I'd like the send a huge thank you to dpp and the rest of the Lift
team. You've built a really great framework here, and I look forward
to using it and seeing it grow for many years to come. An additional
thanks goes out to all those who have answered my many random
questions over the past couple of months.

For those who haven't yet found out about foursquare, you can read
more about it here: http://foursquare.com/learn_more

Anyways, that's about enough self promotion, but I did want to
officially let the community know about what I hope will be a fairly
high profile site that is using Lift.

-harryh

(1) Haven't quite ported feeds.foursquare.com, and there is a legacy
PHP based REST api that will live on for a bit longer as it supports
current versions of our iPhone app.

TylerWeir

Nov 17, 2009, 3:57:40 PM11/17/09
to Lift
Great to hear Harry!

When you get a chance, maybe write up your experience doing the port.

Tyler

Heiko Seeberger

Nov 17, 2009, 4:04:53 PM11/17/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Very very cool!

Heiko

2009/11/17 harryh <har...@gmail.com>

Heiko Seeberger

My job: weiglewilczek.com
My blog: heikoseeberger.name
Follow me: twitter.com/hseeberger
OSGi on Scala: scalamodules.org
Lift, the simply functional web framework: liftweb.net

David Pollak

Nov 17, 2009, 4:21:19 PM11/17/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 12:16 PM, harryh <har...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for choosing Lift and being part of the Lift community.

I just checked in at Pho Garden on Four Square... and I generally love using Four Square... thanks for building a fun app.

David

-harryh

(1) Haven't quite ported feeds.foursquare.com, and there is a legacy
PHP based REST api that will live on for a bit longer as it supports
current versions of our iPhone app.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Surf the harmonics

Jorge Ortiz

Nov 17, 2009, 4:46:09 PM11/17/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I've been MIA from the Lift community recently, but I've gotta say I love Foursquare and use it almost every day. It gives me even more warm fuzzies to know that it's using Lift under the hood :)

Thanks for a great app!

--j

ngocdaothanh

Feb 8, 2010, 9:50:48 AM2/8/10
to harryh, lif...@googlegroups.com
I heard Scala/Lift speed is very good. How many req/s can the old and
the new system process?