Crash Data email 1 of 4

Richard Canale

Mar 30, 2015, 12:21:43 PM3/30/15
to Members Town Meeting

There have been some comments on this list about crash locations and safety concerns.  I have been asked by a few individuals if I can share some reference material with them (as I have knowledge of them since these are used in the MPO decision making process).  Instead, I have decided to do this general posting to the TMMA list.  Here are three of the ways that MassDOT (Massachusetts Department of Transportation) tracks some of these issues that may be of relevance in evaluating Articles that are coming before this Town Meeting.  These reports, in general, give rough cut of crash information that can give readers a sense of what recent history shows even with a number of caveats that the information is not complete.  I will send three additional email messages that contain more information on each of these.

1.     High Crash Location Clusters (“Top 200 list”) for motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists:  This reporting measure is helpful in that it shows specific location clusters of where crashes occur, thus spotlighting that there may be something intrinsic to that location that might be remedied through intervention of some sort.

Lexington has seven high crash locations in addition to the Route 2 and Route 128 corridors.

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/Departments/TrafficAndSafetyEngineering/CrashData/TopCrashLocationsAndMaps

2.     MassDOT Crash Portal Web Site: The data posted on this website, including crash records and other reports, are collected for the purpose of identifying, evaluating, or planning the safety enhancement of potential crash sites, hazardous roadway conditions, or railway-highway crossings. There is an interactive module that could be used when trying to obtain a listing of crashes given specific parameters (for example, to obtain a listing of crashes occurring at dusk between June 2007 and October 2007 which involved a deer in the crash sequence of events). The output of this module will be a listing of specific crash reports which can then be exported. The Mapping module focuses on located crashes only and should be used when trying to obtain either a map of crashes or a listing of crashes with a specific geographic location. It can also be used in conjunction with the Ad Hoc module so that only crashes meeting specific criteria can be spatially viewed and/or listed and mapped.

A complete spreadsheet listing can be easily downloaded directly from this site for Lexington crashes for 2010 – 2012 which are the latest available.

http://services.massdot.state.ma.us/crashportal/

3.     The MassDOT Traffic Office has compiled a spreadsheet of Top 2007 – 2011 Bike-Ped locations by various methods for the Massachusetts Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Board: The current methodology for determining the top ranked communities has been to examine crash test data (which is incomplete) and utilize EMS ambulance data statewide (5 measures are included). MassDOT wants to fund and train police to collect information on infractions to determine areas in need of attention. If training feedback and results are positive, the program would move to other communities. MassDOT would also like to measure policy objectives, such as measuring mode shift changes from increased safety efforts.
The results show that Lexington ranks poorly on this suite of five measures compared to other Massachusetts communities.  Lexington’s composite score places Lexington as number 15 out of 351 communities (with number 1 as the least “safe”).  This is not a statistically validated measure, but it gives a general state of where Lexington may stand.

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/GreenDOT/HealthyTransportation/MABicycleandPedestrianAdvisoryBoard.aspx

Richard Canale,

Lexington’s designee to the Boston MPO

Thomas, Ruth S

Mar 30, 2015, 12:47:31 PM3/30/15
to r.ca...@rcn.com, Members Town Meeting
I have a question about bicycles in crosswalks:

Drivers must stop for walked bikes as they are pedestrians.

What about ridden bikes?  They really are moving vehicles--do moving vehicles in crosswalks have right of way?

Ruth Thomas, Pct. 4

Mar 30, 2015, 12:56:08 PM3/30/15
to rth...@bu.edu, r.ca...@rcn.com, Members Town Meeting
Ruth, bicyclists do not have the right of way in crosswalks if they are riding across the street.  They have the right of way if they have dismounted and are walking across the street.  Peggy Enders

Elaine Ashton

Mar 30, 2015, 1:32:02 PM3/30/15
to r.ca...@rcn.com, Elaine Ashton, Members Town Meeting

> On Mar 30, 2015, at 12:21 PM, Richard Canale <r.ca...@rcn.com> wrote:
>

> 3. The MassDOT Traffic Office has compiled a spreadsheet of Top 2007 – 2011 Bike-Ped locations by various methods for the Massachusetts Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Board: The current methodology for determining the top ranked communities has been to examine crash test data (which is incomplete) and utilize EMS ambulance data statewide (5 measures are included). MassDOT wants to fund and train police to collect information on infractions to determine areas in need of attention. If training feedback and results are positive, the program would move to other communities. MassDOT would also like to measure policy objectives, such as measuring mode shift changes from increased safety efforts.
> The results show that Lexington ranks poorly on this suite of five measures compared to other Massachusetts communities. Lexington’s composite score places Lexington as number 15 out of 351 communities (with number 1 as the least “safe”). This is not a statistically validated measure, but it gives a general state of where Lexington may stand.
>
> http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/GreenDOT/HealthyTransportation/MABicycleandPedestrianAdvisoryBoard.aspx

Thanks very much for collecting all these resources and information. The MassDOT website is a bit of a maze for the uninitiated and unfamiliar.

Friday I was walking in the bikepath crosswalk on Bow St. with the dog when a dark blue prius came upon us so fast, without any signs of slowing down, I honestly thought I was about to become a statistic until he swerved into the oncoming lane missing us by about 4 inches. So, I'm all for pedestrian safety, since I don't enjoy that feeling of having my life flash before my eyes when crossing the street. I know Bow Street isn't on the top list of problem areas in Lexington, but so many drivers take it so fast that it's not the first time I've been scared for my life and I'm not at all surprised that Lexington is high on the list of unsafe communities.

Does Lexington's higher ranking, indicating it is less safe than other communities, mean the state will be more forthcoming with state or federal money to help implement some of the pedestrian safety measures, including traffic calming and more vigilant enforcement as much of the description appeared to be about bicycles? It seems everyone has a story of nearly getting run over in a crosswalk and, though better sidewalks and crossings are needed, I wonder if hoping for more enforcement would be possible.

Elaine Ashton, Pct. 1

Richard Canale

Mar 30, 2015, 2:30:23 PM3/30/15
to Elaine Ashton, Members Town Meeting
On 3/30/2015 1:31 PM, Elaine Ashton wrote:
> Does Lexington's higher ranking, indicating it is less safe than other
> communities, mean the state will be more forthcoming with state or
> federal money to help implement some of the pedestrian safety
> measures, including traffic calming and more vigilant enforcement as
> much of the description appeared to be about bicycles?
For the specific program cited, MassDOT funded the "worst" ten
communities, who had at least three of the five rankings in the top 10%
and who were Mass in Motion communities. "MassDOT is developing an
educational campaign and focusing on top - ranked communitiesInitial
budget for this project is $1.5M +. MassDOT wants to fund and train
police to collect information on infractions to determine areas in need
of attention. If training feedback and results are positive, the program
would move to other communities. MassDOT would also like to measure
policy objectives, such as measuring mode shift changes from increased
safety efforts."

Richard Canale

Paul Chernick

Mar 30, 2015, 11:34:48 PM3/30/15
to r.ca...@rcn.com, Members Town Meeting
Looks like the Harrington cluster includes more than collisions with car leaving Harrington. Perhaps it includes inattentive drivers coming south on Bedford running into cars that have stopped to allow cars to cross to and from Harrington.

Paul Chernick
14 Somerset Rd
Lexington MA 02420

From: Richard Canale <r.ca...@rcn.com>
Date: Monday, March 30, 2015 at 12:21 PM
To: Lex TMMA <lex...@googlegroups.com>

Dinesh Patel MD

Mar 31, 2015, 2:32:05 PM3/31/15
to paul.c...@verizon.net, r.ca...@rcn.com, Members Town Meeting
Richard
That is so nice of you to spend your valuable time and provide us information.
All of us are looking into health , safety of public specially children's , elderly , pedestrians and tourists who come to see this historical town.
Harrington , Bedford street looks like a love triangle - go left or right or straight - always worried about some thing happening
Please see the picture from the battle green -- close to Harrington street———taken early in the morning
We need compassionate citizenry to figure out how can we improve the safety? Or can we and that is what the long term volunteers and knowledgable people like you and others suggest.
Dialogue and debates on issues  this and many are true hallmark of democracy so nice that we are all involved — we are also reading the pulse of our constituents—Precinct 6-- and from all of this I am sending my thoughts
——I am not in favor of Traffic light at the intersection of Woburn and Mass Avenue as part of Center streetscape project although good thoughts ---
 Perhaps we need to rethink beauty, history, safety and what is best for all
Best
Thanks
Dinesh Patel
Precinct 6

Dinesh Patel MD

David L. Kaufman

Mar 31, 2015, 4:16:45 PM3/31/15
to Town Meeting Members
I am sure it involves cars coming from each direction, but the short sight line for cars exiting Harrington can contribute to each type.

I am not sure that the data does not also include cars merging from Hancock Street onto Bedford Street towards the center, since that does not seem to have a separate accident listing, and it has plenty of traffic.This winter the view up Bedford St. was often obscured by a large snow drift. Long lines at rush hour cause some people to make the right to cross onto Harrington from Hancock instead of the merge.

For a while the Bedford end of Harrington was blocked, but that led to complaints. It would be interesting to see a statistical comparison of accidents during that period and another comparable one.

Other than speed bumps for both directions ( or reverting to cobblestones or some other 1773 appropriate road surface) on Bedford Street I am not sure anything can make it safer.

David L. Kaufman, Pct 6

"In everything the wise man does not seek greater precision than the subject allows."

                      -- Aristotle

Fen...@aol.com

From: Richard Canale <r.ca...@rcn.com>
Date: Monday, March 30, 2015 at 12:21 PM
To: Lex TMMA <lex...@googlegroups.com>

There have been some comments on this list about crash locations and safety concerns.  I have been asked by a few individuals if I can share some reference material with them (as I have knowledge of them since these are used in the MPO decision making process).  Instead, I have decided to do this general posting to the TMMA list.  Here are three of the ways that MassDOT (Massachusetts Department of Transportation) tracks some of these issues that may be of relevance in evaluating Articles that are coming before this Town Meeting.  These reports, in general, give rough cut of crash information that can give readers a sense of what recent history shows even with a number of caveats that the information is not complete.  I will send three additional email messages that contain more information on each of these.

<!--[if !supportLists]-->1.     <!--[endif]-->High Crash Location Clusters (“Top 200 list”) for motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists:  This reporting measure is helpful in that it shows specific location clusters of where crashes occur, thus spotlighting that there may be something intrinsic to that location that might be remedied through intervention of some sort.

Lexington has seven high crash locations in addition to the Route 2 and Route 128 corridors.

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/Departments/TrafficAndSafetyEngineering/CrashData/TopCrashLocationsAndMaps

<!--[if !supportLists]-->2.     <!--[endif]-->MassDOT Crash Portal Web Site: The data posted on this website, including crash records and other reports, are collected for the purpose of identifying, evaluating, or planning the safety enhancement of potential crash sites, hazardous roadway conditions, or railway-highway crossings. There is an interactive module that could be used when trying to obtain a listing of crashes given specific parameters (for example, to obtain a listing of crashes occurring at dusk between June 2007 and October 2007 which involved a deer in the crash sequence of events). The output of this module will be a listing of specific crash reports which can then be exported. The Mapping module focuses on located crashes only and should be used when trying to obtain either a map of crashes or a listing of crashes with a specific geographic location. It can also be used in conjunction with the Ad Hoc module so that only crashes meeting specific criteria can be spatially viewed and/or listed and mapped.

A complete spreadsheet listing can be easily downloaded directly from this site for Lexington crashes for 2010 – 2012 which are the latest available.

http://services.massdot.state.ma.us/crashportal/

<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->

<!--[if !supportLists]-->3.     <!--[endif]-->The MassDOT Traffic Office has compiled a spreadsheet of Top 2007 – 2011 Bike-Ped locations by various methods for the Massachusetts Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Board: The current methodology for determining the top ranked communities has been to examine crash test data (which is incomplete) and utilize EMS ambulance data statewide (5 measures are included). MassDOT wants to fund and train police to collect information on infractions to determine areas in need of attention. If training feedback and results are positive, the program would move to other communities. MassDOT would also like to measure policy objectives, such as measuring mode shift changes from increased safety efforts.

The results show that Lexington ranks poorly on this suite of five measures compared to other Massachusetts communities.  Lexington’s composite score places Lexington as number 15 out of 351 communities (with number 1 as the least “safe”).  This is not a statistically validated measure, but it gives a general state of where Lexington may stand.

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/GreenDOT/HealthyTransportation/MABicycleandPedestrianAdvisoryBoard.aspx

Richard Canale,

Lexington’s designee to the Boston MPO

Richard Canale

Mar 31, 2015, 6:40:10 PM3/31/15
to lex...@googlegroups.com
 On 3/31/2015 4:16 PM, David L. Kaufman wrote:
I am not sure that the data does not also include cars merging from Hancock Street onto Bedford Street towards the center, since that does not seem to have a separate accident listing, and it has plenty of traffic.This winter the view up Bedford St. was often obscured by a large snow drift. Long lines at rush hour cause some people to make the right to cross onto Harrington from Hancock instead of the merge.

The data and map bubble were created by MassDOT's automated geolocation program.  Any crashes with 82 feet of another are included in the data and bubble.
Richard Canale

The intersection crash cluster analysis method, developed by Geonetics for MassDOT, is a comprehensive method designed to locate crash clusters. At the heart of the method is a 25 meter (82 ft.) fixed search distance around each crash. In basic terms, this radius controls how far the application will search for adjacent crashes. Using a 25 meter radius, the analysis method found nearby crashes and merged their areas together, thus creating clusters. If two distinct clusters are found to share a common crash, the two clusters are merged into a single cluster. This method of search-and-merge results in a set of many distinct clusters of different sizes and shape. The application then stores these clusters to the GIS output file, along with the count of crashes within the cluster. The clusters were then ranked by the number of Equivalent Property Damage Only (EPDO) crashes contained within their boundaries.

David L. Kaufman

Mar 31, 2015, 7:45:35 PM3/31/15
to Town Meeting Members, Richard and Jeanne Canale
Thanks Richard.

My interpretation of that is that crashes at Harrington and Bedford Street are close enough to crashes at Harrington and Hancock street (about 60 some ft away) so they would merge, and crashes at Hancock and Bedford probably would also merge, though that is probably a few feet more than 82 if measured from the center of the Harrington Bedford intersection. Since crashes are not exactly in the center of any intersection, how accurately they are actually located in reporting and recording the location makes a difference in this case.

With all three intersections merged it would be no surprise that the combination would have more accidents than other locations with simpler geometries.

David L. Kaufman, Pct 6

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

Dinesh Patel MD

Mar 31, 2015, 8:26:18 PM3/31/15
to DavidL...@rcn.com, Town Meeting Members, Richard and Jeanne Canale
Thank you David my chair of Precinct 6 .
What I have been mentioning is essentially the same
Hancock Harrington Bedford Bicyclists battle green mass avenue
This short complex close to battle green not uncommonly appears like further extension of battle green -- moving and parked cars, pedestrians , bicyclists .
A delicate issue for our town meeting members but good for every one to get info as provided by many and make decision as they feel.
Best
Thanks
Dinesh

Dinesh Patel MD