Nightly snapshots not up to date?

Peter Mills

Apr 5, 2014, 6:26:30 PM4/5/14
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
Despite the file name of "leo-editor-snapshot-20140405.zip" in the nightly snapshot page, the files therein appear to to be from 2014-02-13.  A fish around in the files shows that viewrendered2.py is not included, confirming the snapshot's age.  I'm now getting my updates from git, but a friend I introduced to Leo seemed to end up with an old version by using the nightly snapshot option.

Peter Mills

Apr 6, 2014, 12:24:09 AM4/6/14
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, April 6, 2014 8:26:30 AM UTC+10, Peter Mills wrote:
Despite the file name of "leo-editor-snapshot-20140405.zip" in the nightly snapshot page, the files therein appear to to be from 2014-02-13.  A fish around in the files shows that viewrendered2.py is not included, confirming the snapshot's age.  I'm now getting my updates from git, but a friend I introduced to Leo seemed to end up with an old version by using the nightly snapshot option.

(Forwarded from Terry)

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have a look.

yahoo isn't sending my mail, so forward this to the list if you would,
thanks.

Cheers -Terry

Ville M. Vainio

Apr 6, 2014, 4:56:00 AM4/6/14
to leo-editor
Are nightly snapshots needed anymore since you can just grab the source from github?

Select "download zip" from the bottom right edge of

Direct link

Fidel N

Apr 6, 2014, 5:12:12 AM4/6/14
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
If they are not required perhaphs we should remove them from here:

Terry Brown

Apr 6, 2014, 11:19:49 AM4/6/14
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 6 Apr 2014 11:56:00 +0300
"Ville M. Vainio" <viva...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are nightly snapshots needed anymore since you can just grab the
> source from github?

That's cool. The only thing the nightlys gave in addition was older
versions, which in theory could be useful if trunk was broken, although
I suspect they were very rarely used in that way.

I wonder if github can give .zips of older versions...

Ha, very cool, you can do:

https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/archive/master@{5 days ago}.zip

"master@{5 days ago}.zip" is a horrible filename, and when unzipped it
yields: leo-editor-5dbbb1d1a6943c2380b17493a4fe92deb257245c/ which is
scary too, but given how infrequently older commits would be needed, it
does seem that the current snapshot system could be dropped in favor of
this.

Maybe http://leoeditor.com/download.html could have a link to
https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/archive/master.zip and a link
"you can also get older versions" which links to another page / section
of docs. at leoeditor.com which links to 1, 5, 10, 30, 90 day old
versions and explains what weird filenames you'll be getting.

That sound reasonable to everyone?

Cheers -Terry

Edward K. Ream

Apr 9, 2014, 12:18:22 PM4/9/14
to leo-editor
On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 10:19 AM, Terry Brown <terry_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I wonder if github can give .zips of older versions...
>
> Ha, very cool, you can do: [snip]

> Maybe http://leoeditor.com/download.html could have a link to
> https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/archive/master.zip and a link
> "you can also get older versions" which links to another page / section
> of docs. at leoeditor.com which links to 1, 5, 10, 30, 90 day old
> versions and explains what weird filenames you'll be getting.
>
> That sound reasonable to everyone?

Sounds good to me.

Edward

Terry Brown

Apr 12, 2014, 5:40:44 PM4/12/14
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 6 Apr 2014 10:19:49 -0500
Terry Brown <terry_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Maybe http://leoeditor.com/download.html could have a link to
> https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/archive/master.zip and a
> link "you can also get older versions" which links to another page /
> section of docs. at leoeditor.com which links to 1, 5, 10, 30, 90 day
> old versions and explains what weird filenames you'll be getting.
>
> That sound reasonable to everyone?

Ok, hearing one aye and no nays, I've stopped the snapshots at
http://www.greygreen.org/leo/ - if you go there now you'll see a
pointer to http://leoeditor.com/download.html#snapshots which will
exist next time Edward updates the docs. - I've pushed changes to the
docs to supply direct download links to git hub. The new docs. are
echoed at http://www.greygreen.org/leo/

Cheers -Terry