Lawrence Humane Society Update: Nov. 11

Lawrence Humane Society

Nov 11, 2011, 2:25:13 PM11/11/11
to Events Info
Can't see the images? Open this message as a Web page.
In this update:
• Shelter Appreciation Week
• Adopt-a-Senior-Pet Month
• Help Us Find a Home For ...
• Event Updates
• In the News
• Updates from the Shelter
• Pet Food Partnership
• New Video on YouTube

Lawrence Humane Society Update:
November 11, 2011

A Moment for Shelter Appreciation

In recognition of Shelter Appreciation Week, we encourage you to help us express our heartfelt thanks to the hard-working staff at our animal shelter this weekend. Stop by and say hello, drop off a card or a small token of appreciation, or even make a donation in the name of one of the employees or the staff as a whole (see form below, right). Let them know that what they do does make a difference.

Use the comment line on the donation form to indicate a staff member or a general token of appreciation.

All gifts to the Lawrence Humane Society are greatly appreciated and help us provide outstanding care and sheltering for the animals.

Our efforts to find homes for the animals would not be possible without these dedicated individuals. They work in a challenging environment, one where resources are limited and conditions can be harsh. But they push ahead because they know they've worked to save so many lovable animals.

To the front desk staff, to the managers and supervisors, and to the animal care associates throughout the facility:THANK YOU for your hard work every day!

November is Adopt-a-Senior-Pet Month

Aspen (photo)Mr. Flame (photo)Seldom (photo)Eddie (photo)Snoopy (photo)

Think of a dog that is already trained and doesn't chew your valuables, or a cat that doesn't scratch all the furniture. And, they know where to do their business! That's what you get (and more) when you adopt a senior pet.

During Adopt-a-Senior-Pet Month, please take the opportunity to get acquainted with older pets available at the Lawrence Humane Society (at left). These loving companions still have much to offer and they don't ask for much in return: just a warm place to sleep, good meals, and plenty of love. Do you or someone you know have room in your family for a senior cat or senior dog? Just think of all the fun you'll have taking midday naps in the recliner, playing chess in the park, leisurely strolls around town, and the early bird special!

Gibbs the dog (photo)

Senior Spotlight:
Help Us Find a Home For ...

Gibbs: I'm a real friendly fellow, and known as the class clown here at the shelter. I'm silly and love to make you smile. An American Staffordshire Terrier, I'm a shade over 60 pounds and get along with just about anyone, including other pets. My red coat has a few areas of gray, hinting at the wisdom I bring from 9 years of experience. Now, after all this time I'm looking for someone to come make ME smile!
See my full profile, including more photos

Every pet adopted from the Lawrence Humane Society has had vaccinations, a pre-adoption health examination, heartworm test, and microchip. Browse the many other great cats and dogs available for adoption at the Lawrence Humane Society.

Event Updates

Santa Paws (graphic)

Santa Claus with dog (photo)This year Kris Kringle will visit all the good little pets on back-to-back days. For only $15, get two photos of you and your pet(s) with Santa by local professional photographer Maggie Kruger. Create your own special holiday cards from the images we e-mail to you after the event! You'll be helping the homeless pets at the Lawrence Humane Society. All pets are welcome: dogs, cats, rabbits, birds, snakes, goldfish ... Santa loves all animals!

The first Santa Paws will be Saturday, December 3, at a new location: the Dog House, 412 E 9th. Hosted in conjunction with the group's "Fleaz Navidog" Holiday Open House, the event will include fun such as making pawprint ornaments and holiday cards, a cider and bake sale, and prize drawings.

Santa flies over to the Lawrence Humane Society the following day, Sunday, December 4, before returning to the North Pole with requests from your pets for their favorite toys this holiday season.

Dogs portrait (photo)Dog Days of November
Schedule an appointment for a beautiful professional portrait of your "best friend," and Kruger Photography will donate one-half of your dog's $40 photo session fee to the shelter this month. It is a keepsake you'll cherish forever. They also make great Christmas gifts! Schedule by e-mail or call 785-842-7078.

Please note the following events on our 2011 wall calendar have changed:
The Animal Fair will not be held this year (appears on November 13). After reviewing our event planning structure and fundraising goals for 2012, we'll provide an update. We look forward to welcoming vendors and participants at the Mutt 'n' Strut and other exciting events in 2012.
Santa Paws will be held on a new date (see above).
Closed for Training: The shelter will be closed Sunday, November 20, for staff training. Please contact Animal Control at 832-7509 in the event of a lost/found pet or animal emergency. Douglas County residents may call the Sheriff's Department at 843-0250.
Black Friday: The shelter will be open to the public the day following Thanksgiving, November 25. In fact, in recognition of "Black Friday," the start of the holiday season, all adoption fees will be waived for any black (or mostly black) cat or dog. Every adoption includes spay/neuter, microchip, and cat carrier. It's a great opportunity to provide a warm home to a shelter animal in need, without the regular charges.

In the News

Check presentation for Dogtoberfest 2011 (photo)

Pictured left to right: Savannah Pearce and Jen Frazier of the Dogtoberfest Committee present $1,300 checks to Dianne Huggins, Lawrence Community Shelter, and Dori Villalon, Lawrence Humane Society (and her companion, Miss Millie).

Dogtoberfest 2012 raised $2,600 to benefit the Lawrence Humane Society and the Lawrence Community shelter! About 400 people attended the five-hour event, which began with a blessing of the animals and included contests like best kisser, tail wagger, canine karaoke, and trick. See the post-event story at Lawrence Journal-World.

Contemplating pet adoption
Dori Villalon, executive director of the Lawrence Humane Society, appeared in a recent article detailing the financial challenges and commitment level facing people wanting a new pet. Many people often underestimate the costs of owning a pet, resulting in animals being returned to shelters. Prospective adopters need to make sure they are absolutely ready to own a pet, which includes considering many factors beyond basic needs.
Read the article at The University Daily Kansan

Updates from the Shelter

Purrsdays (graphic)Thursdays are Purrrrsdays!
Fees are waived on all cats six months and older every Thursday at the Lawrence Humane Society. Your adoption includes a collar and tag, travel box, and a bag of Hill's Science Diet. All cats have been feline leukemia tested, spayed/neutered, and microchipped.

Come by for a visit with the executive director
Beginning November 30, Dori Villalon, executive director of the Lawrence Humane Society, will be offering public drop-in office hours every Wednesday from 3 to 6 p.m. People are welcome to stop by if they have a question, suggestion, or would simply like to chat about what's happening at Lawrence Humane Society.

See shelter cats now at Petco
We now have cats available for adoption at Petco, 3115 Iowa . These are adult felines, have been feline leukemia tested, spayed/neutered, and microchipped. They're ready to go home!

Looking for a job?
The Lawrence Humane Society is a challenging and rewarding place to work if you like to be around animals. Currently open positions include animal care associates, finance manager, and veterinary care supervisor. To apply or find out more, please check out the jobs area of our Web site.

What is accepted
at Just Food?

CAN accept:
• unopened bags of dry pet food
• unopened canned pet food
• opened bags of dry pet food,
if bag has been completely re-sealed

CANNOT accept:
• food not in original store packaging
• opened or leaking canned pet food
• spoiled or mixed pet food

Just Food logo (graphic)Local Partnership Helps
With Pet Food Donations

Due to storage limitations, the Lawrence Humane Society cannot accept donations of pet food, and we cannot provide pet food to members of our community seeking assistance. But our partnership with Just Food Warehouse allows more people to find help for their pets in need!

If you have pet food to donate, please see the box at right for what Just Food can take in. Not sure how to get there? Just drive north on Haskell Ave., until it ends at 11th Street. Proceed around the corner to the right.
Here's a map to help you.

You Tube (graphic)See these lovable animals in action!
Video ThumbnailWe've posted a new video of adoptable animals and please share the link with friends and family so more people can see these great animals. You can also find us on Sunflower Channel 6's On Demand  service. Thank you to the local musical group Prairie Acre for the great soundtrack! Get automatic updates when we post new videos by subscribing to our YouTube channel.

Lawrence Humane Society logo (graphic)As we recognize Veteran's Day, thank you to all our service members, both past and present, for everything you've sacrificed to our country. Have a most excellent weekend!
– Lawrence Humane Society