huge LiDAR holdings of Denmark are now "open data" for free download (instruction inside)

Martin Isenburg

Feb 1, 2013, 5:29:53 AM2/1/13
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello,

I just received word that huge LiDAR holdings for all of Denmark are now OPEN DATA. This may not be the most recent data set but an earlier version with lower point density ... but I just looked at a tiny subset at the corner (the "punktsky_6400_580" download) and that has only 0.5 pts / square meter. Below are the detailed download instructions courtesy of Klaus B. Vestergaard. Unfortunately they do not yet use LASzip (which gets 10:1 compression on this data) and therefore you will probably kill their data servers if you all decide to download all the Danish' LiDAR today ... (-;

Regards,

Martin @lastools

--
http://rapidlasso.com - fast tools to compress huge LiDARs

Dec 4, 2014, 8:46:43 AM12/4/14
to last...@googlegroups.com
Hello to our Danish friends,

can you tell us what is happening here? I have the feeling that the following tweet by @GST_DHM that came through a few minutes ago announces a new interactive download portal for LASzip compressed LiDAR points of the national holdings:

Nu kan punktskyen hentes lidt nemmere - i "shopping mode" her: http://download.kortforsyningen.dk/content/dhmpunktsky

But I cannot find English instructions. Can someone confirm the good news?

Regards,

Martin @rapidlasso

Thomas Knudsen

Dec 4, 2014, 9:34:56 AM12/4/14
to last...@googlegroups.com
Martin & everyone...

The "good news" are actually true:
Recent LiDAR data sets are available for download in LAZ format
- primarily in prepackaged 10 km x 10 km blocks.

At this time approximately one third of Denmark is covered.
The rest will be covered during the 2015 flight seasons.

As far as I know, there is no English language version of the
download service, and you need to register as user to access
the data (this is in order to keep proper user segment statistics:
The data are free to download and free to use).

The download selection process is mostly a matter of hitting the "Næste" (= "next")
button twice, then clicking the 10 km tile you request, and log in using
your user credentials (register at http://download.kortforsyningen.dk/ - click
the "Opret ny bruger" (= "register new user") link.

A few Danish terms you may find useful while using the download service:

"Vælg område på kort": "Select region of interest on map"
"Næste": Next
"Brugernavn": "User name"
"Kurv": "Basket/Cart"
"Gennemfør bestilling": "(finalize and) checkout"

Also note that many of the elements on the download pages have english
language pop-ups when hovering over them with the mouse cursor.

regards
Thomas

Lene Fischer

Dec 4, 2014, 11:06:06 AM12/4/14
to last...@googlegroups.com

Great news !!!!

Lene Fischer

Associate Professor

Department of Geosciences and Natural Resource Management

University of Copenhagen

SCIENCE_bomaerke_UK

Terje Mathisen

Dec 4, 2014, 7:03:47 PM12/4/14
to last...@googlegroups.com
Martin Isenburg wrote:
> Hello to our Danish friends,
>
> can you tell us what is happening here? I have the feeling that the
> following tweet by @GST_DHM that came through a few minutes ago
> announces a new interactive download portal for LASzip compressed
> LiDAR points of the national holdings:

This is good news, I used the original portal which was quite
user-unfriendly, even if I as norwegian has absolutely no problems
reading danish instructions.

Now I just need to work to make sure that the same thing happens here in
Norway: Even if I personally get free access to any area I want to
construct maps for, it is a big hazzle to have to special order each
area and depend on the county-level mapping service people who can copy
out the blocks and send them to me.

Terje

> Nu kan punktskyen hentes lidt nemmere - i "shopping mode"
> her: http://download.kortforsyningen.dk/content/dhmpunktsky
>
> But I cannot find English instructions. Can someone confirm the good news?
>
> Regards,
>
> Martin @rapidlasso
>
> On Friday, February 1, 2013 11:29:53 AM UTC+1, Martin Isenburg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just received word that huge LiDAR holdings for all of Denmark are
> now OPEN DATA. This may not be the most recent data set but an earlier
> version with lower point density ... but I just looked at a tiny
> subset at the corner (the "punktsky_6400_580" download) and that has
> only 0.5 pts / square meter. Below are the detailed download
> instructions courtesy of Klaus B. Vestergaard. Unfortunately they do
> not yet use LASzip (which gets 10:1 compression on this data) and
> therefore you will probably kill their data servers if you all decide
> to download all the Danish' LiDAR today ... (-;
>

> Regards,
>

> Martin @lastools
>

> --
> http://rapidlasso.com <http://rapidlasso.com/> - fast tools to
> compress huge LiDARs

- <Terje.M...@tmsw.no>

Asger Skovbo Petersen

Dec 5, 2014, 5:14:25 PM12/5/14
to last...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone

The HTML-based download portal is great for downloading small areas, but quite useless if you want the entire dataset.

Luckily the same data are available via FTP.

You need to register like Thomas has described. (Go to http://download.kortforsyningen.dk//content/opret-mig-som-bruger It is in Danish, bit translates pretty well with Google Translate)

The login and password can now be used for the FTP server at

This FTP contains a lot of open Danish geodata. The new point cloud (da: punktsky) is located at

Happy processing :-)

Best regards
Asger

mike

May 17, 2015, 1:34:22 AM5/17/15
to last...@googlegroups.com
Hey all!

This is pretty amazing data! I loaded up 401 Las files, and it is one impressive large data set.  You can view the whole thing here in your chrome web browser with no downloads....it's classified well also!  No doubt they used the amazing http://rapidlasso.com tools.....