Removing points with ranging issues in lasground

JaeO

Dec 14, 2016, 8:10:26 PM12/14/16
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hello All,
I've got some unclassified LAS data from which I am trying to classify ground returns with lasground. As you can see from the attached image, there are many points (I believe to be at flight line edges), have substantial ranging issues that are causing misclassification of ground in certain areas. Unfortunately, the data doesn't have any scan angle or flight line tags, so I can't cull back on edges. I've played around a bit with the -bulge, -spike, -stddev and -offset flags, but nothing that I've tried seems to remove the problematic points. There are plenty of quality data to work with if I can just get the range issue points removed. Any suggestions?

BOKU

Dec 15, 2016, 6:57:52 AM12/15/16
to last...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

I've worked a lot on that topic, in my study about the sensitivity of these parameters I found out that it is essential to remove noise first, before doing the classification. So try to remove noise before applying lasground! If you are interested I can send you my work  "Sensitivity Analysis On Critical Parameters For Digital Elevation Model Generating Algorithms". Especially focused on Lastools.

by the way

what's the filesize?

cheers Christoph

Kennedy, Paul [FSPTY]

Dec 16, 2016, 4:12:03 AM12/16/16
to last...@googlegroups.com

Hi Chris,

That would be an interesting paper to read!

Regards

Paul Kennedy