LAS/TXT to PLY

:-D Tanay

Aug 17, 2016, 5:44:27 AM8/17/16
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
I want to use PLY file format for matlab functions but I have point cloud data in .las and .txt format. I have searched online but could not find the converter.

Juraj Čerňava

Aug 17, 2016, 8:58:22 AM8/17/16
to last...@googlegroups.com
Ply can be converted using las2las. You just change wildcard from "*.laz" to ".ply" and you can add them from the folder (you wont see them). I also advice you to convert it first into .laz format (which is native to a software) and then to .las or .txt. Sometimes straight conversion didnt work for me.

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 11:07 AM, :-D Tanay <dtana...@gmail.com> wrote:
I want to use PLY file format for matlab functions but I have point cloud data in .las and .txt format. I have searched online but could not find the converter.

Martin Isenburg

Aug 17, 2016, 9:13:13 AM8/17/16
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello,

I have had a little (off-list) chat with Juraj about this. What he meant is that you can use las2las (or txt2las) to convert PLY to LAS or LAZ in case that your input PLY contains only points and is the ASCII version (and not the binary version) of PLY. So ... if you have you have ASCII PLY, then you can go to LAS/LAZ. That "sort of" works because LAStools does not recognize PLY and then uses the standard TXT reader.

However, the actual question was about writing PLY, and no, LAStools can (currently) not write PLY and I see no pressing reason (or is there one?) to add this capability.

However, there is a matlab package for reading LAS/LAZ directly:

Regards,

Martin @rapidlasso

Jung-kuan Liu

Aug 17, 2016, 9:30:20 AM8/17/16
to last...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You can download CloudCompare for the point clouds format conversion with PLY (binary and ASCII), LAS, TXT, etc. Good Luck!

Ernie

Howard Butler

Aug 17, 2016, 9:34:06 AM8/17/16
to last...@googlegroups.com

> On Aug 17, 2016, at 8:08 AM, Martin Isenburg <martin....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I have had a little (off-list) chat with Juraj about this. What he meant is that you can use las2las (or txt2las) to convert PLY to LAS or LAZ in case that your input PLY contains only points and is the ASCII version (and not the binary version) of PLY. So ... if you have you have ASCII PLY, then you can go to LAS/LAZ. That "sort of" works because LAStools does not recognize PLY and then uses the standard TXT reader.
>
> However, the actual question was about writing PLY, and no, LAStools can (currently) not write PLY and I see no pressing reason (or is there one?) to add this capability.

Another option is PDAL can read [1] and write [2] PLY, and it of course plays well with LAS/LAZ.

[1] http://www.pdal.io/stages/readers.ply.html
[2] http://www.pdal.io/stages/writers.ply.html