דיוקים בקידוש - טעיות נפוצות

אוריאל פרנק

Nov 18, 2018, 7:24:24 AM11/18/18
תמצית הדיון האנגלי שלמטה:
  1. ויכֻלו - שווא נח ביו"ד, ומלרע
  2. ויברך - שווא נח ביו"ד, ומלעיל.
  3. כי הוא יום תחלה למקראי קודש - למקראי מלרע (וכמודפס ברוב הסידורים, והטעם לא נסוג אחור).
  4. בפסוקי הקידוש של שבת בבוקר: וינח - מלעיל.

Two final points: 1. In the word ויברך the yud is a sheva nah (silent shewa). 2. The accent is on the second to last (penultimate) syllable, the ב, not on the final syllable, the ר. This word also appears in Friday night kiddush, and it is very common to hear people, including rabbis, make the mistake of treating the yud as a sheva na (vocal shewa) and also putting the accent on the last syllable. Many people also make a mistake at the beginning of kiddush by pronouncing the word ויכלו with the accent on the second to last syllable, the כ, when it should be on the last syllable, the ל. Another common pronunciation mistake is found in the Shabbat morning kiddush. וינח has the accent on the second to last syllable, the י, not on the final syllable, the נ.

There is one more that I would like to mention, but it is a little more complicated than the ones I previous noted. In the Friday night kiddush we say כי הוא יום תחלה למקראי קודש. Where is one supposed to put the accent in the word למקראי? If you look at ArtScroll you find that it puts the accent on the penultimate syllable, the ר. However, Koren and most of the other siddurim I checked put the accent on the final syllable, the א.

I don’t know why this should be a matter of dispute, because the Torah itself uses the expression מקראי קודש three times (Lev. 23:2, 4, 37), and in every case the accent in מקראי is on the final syllable.[7] The Yom Tov morning kiddush also begins: אלה מועדי המקראי קודש. For some reason ArtScroll is not consistent, and in this case it puts the accent in מקראי on the א.