Mentorship for Android Development

Oyanna Kelvin

Mar 24, 2014, 9:17:24 AM3/24/14
to lagos...@googlegroups.com
Hi Android developers,

I just found my way into this group some days ago, which i believe would be a helpful platform to kickstart my Quest to develop mobile Apps for Android devices.
having been developing web app, using PHP and Javascript. I want to delve into the world of programming for android devices with my intermidiate skill in java programming. I have taken some steps to download and installed the Android sdk and Eclipes IDE (Using the ADT Bundle). I have tried to run my first android app, but the Emulator I created is not just working fine.

Pls friends, I need Any android developer in the house to Mentor me(Guide me, teach me, and refer me to resources that would help), so i can realize my dream of developing mobile apps for android devices.

Thanks
Oyanna Kelvin
email: dotke...@gmail.com
Phone: 08036467038
Skype: OyannaKelvin

Akapo Damilola Francis

Mar 24, 2014, 9:27:01 AM3/24/14
to lagos...@googlegroups.com

Hi Kelvin

Send me an email. :)
Let's see how I can help.

----------
Excuse the grammatical errors, e-mail composed on the go.

Akapo Damilola Francis,
Polyglot Software Engineer.
Nigeria.
Mobile : +234(0)8166200715, +234(0)7037607713
Twitter : @_fdamilola

Abisagbo Segun

Mar 24, 2014, 2:32:43 PM3/24/14
to lagos...@googlegroups.com
Try to download GenyMotion...its a faster/better emulator?

Oyanna Kelvin

Mar 24, 2014, 7:44:50 PM3/24/14
to lagos...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, 24 March 2014 11:32:43 UTC-7, segebee wrote:
Try to download GenyMotion...its a faster/better emulator?
Thanks @segbee: But for a newbie like me, i think i need to be mentored and inspired(on the kind of Apps to start with) and also see how things work by debuging/testing an App. I would love you to mentor me.

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Akapo Damilola Francis <fdam...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Kelvin

Send me an email. :)
Let's see how I can help.

----------

Thanks alot @Damilola: I would do just that

Oyanna Kelvin

Mar 24, 2014, 8:03:58 PM3/24/14
to lagos...@googlegroups.com, fdam...@gmail.com
Hi Damilola,
Thanks for the concern. Here are some of he Issue I want You to  Help Address first:
1. I want you to guide me in running the default "Hello World " App, Using a newly created emulator.

2. How do i know if the application has been installed on the emulator and how do I access the new App from the Home screen of the emulator device?

3. What next after running the default App?

You may also keep me posted on BBM: 7B256009

Abisagbo Segun

Mar 25, 2014, 2:54:56 AM3/25/14
to lagos...@googlegroups.com
I am sure my ogas here would be a better mentor to you.

If you have good internet, coursera is running a great android beginner course...detailed video lectures.

Akapo Damilola Francis

Mar 25, 2014, 8:16:03 PM3/25/14
to Oyanna Kelvin, lagos...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kelvin,

Sorry for the late reply.
Been a tad bit busy.

1. Once you have your IDE setup with the ADT bundle, Running the default "hello world" simple is an issue of right clicking on your project, assuming your emulator is up and running, and clicking "Run As Android Application".

2. Once and if the application has been installed on the emulator, it gets launched automatically in most cases.

3. The next step is dependent on you really, I would advice going through the android documentation to learn more about the platform and what it has to offer. https://developer.android.com/
As to the issue of a seemingly "faulty" emulator, I would advise you use a device instead (Else, simple end it and restart it.). It is advised to have started your emulator before trying to run your android application. (Also use snapshots, although, these might turn out to be a headache later on with some caching issues)

I haven't used an emulator in over 2 years of writing Android applications, because I have a plethora of devices I use for testing.

Real Devices beat emulators, GenyMotion or The Default Android Emulator. As the name implies, it is meant to emulate not be an actual replacement for it real devices. It is easier to track and manage..

Hope I was able to be of help.

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 1:03 AM, Oyanna Kelvin <dotke...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Akapo Damilola Francis,
Polyglot Software Engineer.
Alumni Google Student Ambassador (GSA),
Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU)
,
Nigeria.

Mobile : +234(0)8166200715, +234(0)7037607713
Twitter : @_fdamilola
LinkedIn : LinkedIn Profile
CoderWall : Coderwall Profile

View My Vizify Bio!
Akapo Damilola Francis's Visual Thumbprint

Note: Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message and may be subject to legal privilege. Access to this e-mail by anyone other than the intended is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not use, copy, distribute or deliver to anyone this message (or any part of its contents ) or take any action in reliance on it. In such case, you should destroy this message, and notify me immediately. If you have received this email in error, also please notify me immediately by e-mail or telephone and delete the e-mail from any computer.

Vykthur

Mar 26, 2014, 1:02:34 AM3/26/14
to lagos...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kelvin,

Congratulations on your interest in developing mobile apps! I think Francis and Segebee have given really awesome pointers! Here are a couple extra things that may be helpful whilst you make your journey towards becoming a rockstar developer!
  1. Be Tenacious and Passionate (which you already are) .
    This means that you have made your code vow are happy to easily spend 10+ hours a day (assuming you are working on this full time) studying, coding, trying new things, testing, designing, rejoicing at your progress etc. 10-15hrs a day might sound extreme but I'm sure many of the top class programmers here in this forum do it all the time :) . I have seen a few of them do it.

  2. You will need to Set a Clear Tangible Goal
    Goals can come in different manners. Lines of code written, time spent studying, books/tutorials completed, apps developed etc. My recommended type of goal is decide on a given app to build and benchmark  it against an existing successful app. When learning a new language, or developing a new app, I search for the best looking app in that genre and start out developing a close clone. And then I make modifications along the way. So I encourage you to have an app idea in mind that you want to build, go to the play store, download and install the app, thoroughly inspect it and figure out how the different parts are implemented (widgets etc).
    For example, you want to build a slider puzzle game, download and install Gidigames (disclaimer, I built gidigames),
    or a Physics Puzzle Game, download and install Cut the Rope.
    or a music player app, download and install spinlet .
    Its a great and enjoyable learning process!

  3. You. Will. Need to . Patiently. Study.
    This means that you will dig deep and find patience to go through those nice tutorials on developer.android.com that Francis suggested. If possible, get a  book and study it back to back . Keeping your eyes on the goal above, you will comb every page, test every sample code and celebrate your small successes along the way. Back in 2009 when I set out to build my very first android application, I downloaded the entire developer.android.com as a 70 page pdf which I found online (its much bigger now I suppose)  . I remember going through the notepad code line by line and learned so much while implementing it before I even started writing my first app.
    Also, If at any moment, you see stuff (java concepts) you don't understand , its ok to back up and study java for a couple weeks before diving into android . You mention prior experience with PhP and Javascript. This is awesome and would be greatly supplemented by more experience in java .

  4. Stackoverflow is really your friend . Ask Questions .
    Along my journey in learning to program (and I still have a long way to go) , I have shamelessly and successfully combed atleast 1000 stackoverflow pages seeking solutions to problems. In my experience, 95% of all problems I encounterered have already been discussed and solved on stackoverflow - and the 5% is my opportunity to contribute a new solution .
    As you code, you will get baffled by exceptions/errors, confused by concepts and let down by your own tools (IDE, OS, test device etc) . True story. And as stackoverflow helped me in such bleak times, I am sure it would be of help you if you too if you use it properly. The simplest way to use it is to perform clear specific google searches with your problem and add 'stackoverlow". E.g search for "How to speed up a slow android emulator stackoverflow" . Notice that I didnt search for "Emulator not working fine stackoverflow" . The results for those two searches can be vastly different . The first one is much more likely to provide real actionable solutions and thats exactly what you want.

  5. On your Next Steps
    - I'll say gobble up the tutorials on developer.android.com . By then, you should have atleast completed Notepad Exercise 1 , Notepad Exercise 2 , Notepad Exercise 3  and done the Extra Credit! . Remember step 3 above on patience. Sometimes it would feel like a waste of time, but I assure you its not. And its also ok it this takes a while. Just remain tenacious
    - Start work on your goal in step 2 above. Start working on that app idea you have (or create one ) and improve it until it becomes like your model benchmark app.
    - If you are interested in game development, Iv written a couple of tutorials with sample code that may be helpful to get started building 2D games using Cocos2D for android.
    - Ask questions and keep sharing your progress here.

I apologize that the reply got so long, the intent is to be as helpful as possible. I also know it appears we have unduly complicated and expanded your attempt at android app development and put all the work on you. Unfortunately, in order to morph into that rockstar android developer we want you to be, these difficulties must be overcome and alot of work would need to be done by you. It WILL take a while, maybe a couple years (it took me years), but it will be interesting and you'll learn to be proud of your work. And this is a very good thing. Again, feel free to share your progress here and ask questions as you proceed.

Good luck in your android journeys!
(My tips above a definitely not exhaustive and I also look forward to learning from the suggestions the other developers on this forum will provide )

Sincerely,

Victor.
Lead Developer, denvycom
he...@denvycom.com

Hafiz Adewuyi

Mar 26, 2014, 1:25:01 AM3/26/14
to lagos...@googlegroups.com

Cool stuff Victor. Thanks for this wonderfully detailed advice.

Joshua Balogun

Mar 26, 2014, 3:37:03 AM3/26/14
to lagos...@googlegroups.com

Best Mentorship email ever.

I must read again, like x5 b4 cob.

Thanks vic.

Abdulkabeer Ishola

Mar 26, 2014, 4:28:34 AM3/26/14
to lagos...@googlegroups.com

Very insightful, must favourite this for implementation.

On Mar 26, 2014 6:06 AM, "Vykthur" <chuvi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Oyanna Kelvin

Mar 26, 2014, 5:34:13 AM3/26/14
to lagos...@googlegroups.com
Hi Victor,
I deeply appreaciate your comprehensive and exauastive guide to android development. I want to sincerly say, You nailed it all. You where not only highlighting steps to sucessful android development, but most importantly you inpired and stimulated my curiosity for android development. Once again, thanks a billion times.
Hv started following the steps you guys have sugested in this forum. And hope to report here in case i have any problem.
Thanks alot

Vykthur

Mar 26, 2014, 9:56:34 AM3/26/14
to lagos...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kelvin,

I'm glad that you found my sharing insightful and are inspired! Please remain inspired and keep pushing! Great things lie ahead.
As you make progress, don't forget to keep asking questions and sharing your progress. This forum is a really helpful place!

Baba Josh, Abdulkabeer and Hafiz thanks for the kind words :), much appreciated.

Victor,
Lead Developer, denvycom
he...@denvycom.com

Vykthur

Apr 2, 2014, 1:37:16 PM4/2/14
to lagos...@googlegroups.com

Still on programming and mentorship ...

For anyone also mulling steps to programming ... things to do, how to start etc , there's an article I wrote on a similar subject a while ago that may be helpful .
Help, Im a student, how do I become a rockstar programmer . I'm sure many of us get the amazing opportunity to encourage and support younger colleagues as they make advances in their programming journeys. Feel free to share the article with them  if it applies.

Regards,

Victor,
Lead Developer, denvycom
he...@denvycom.com

Odafe Atumu

Apr 2, 2014, 2:31:15 PM4/2/14
to lagos...@googlegroups.com

Been looking for something like this for a while. Thanks bro. Will check it out.

Vykthur

Apr 4, 2014, 2:36:18 AM4/4/14
to lagos...@googlegroups.com
Hi Taiwo,

Glad it was of help.

Victor,
Lead Developer, denvycom
he...@denvycom.com

Ibile_lawa

Apr 4, 2014, 7:10:57 AM4/4/14
to lagos...@googlegroups.com
@Vykthur,

The post really inspiring for beginner and intermediate programmer. You can't know your "worth" spending months to develop an app and can't even scale through the first stage in an Hackathon.

 I love point 4 Benchmark Yourself - Reverse Engineer. I'm doing that real hard and will keep you posted.

Just getting addicted to #2048lagos game @denvycom. Hope to be a core ass programmer like u.

Vykthur

Apr 4, 2014, 1:48:14 PM4/4/14
to lagos...@googlegroups.com
@ibile ,

Im glad you found the post insightful and also 2048 lasgidi transport edition  :) .
Its also great that you realize the value of benchmarking in the learning process ! So so important!
Thanks for the kind encouragement,  I have no doubts that you will definitely good at developing great code!
We'll be looking forward to your posts as you make progress!

Regards,

Vykthur.