Kurviger 1.1.17

Emux

Jun 8, 2018, 8:16:17 AM6/8/18
to Kurviger
Kurviger 1.1.17 is on Google Play!

- Routing: added really "Fastest" route (App + Website)

We added a really "Fastest" route option in Kurviger (App + Website).
A popular request, it's the known regular fastest mode in all routers!

Kurviger offers now the following route options:

  • Fastest route
Mostly motorways and major highways.

  • Fast and curvy route
Low amount of curves and detours, big parts might be on the motorway.
(it's the old fastest curvy mode with a new name)

  • Curvy route
Prefers curves and slopes, while avoiding cities and highways.

  • Extra curvy route
Prefers curves and slopes a lot, while avoiding cities and highways. Might create substantial detours.

  • All curvy routes (Pro)
Kurviger Pro can calculate all curvy routes (Fast and curvy + Curvy + Extra curvy) at once and show them on map together!

- Map: turn on/off nature areas with Kurviger maps for improved performance (Pro)

You can turn on/off the various nature areas in menu Map > Map layers with the Kurviger maps, which should help app performance specially in older devices.

- Stability improvements

As always there are many smaller improvements that have been discussed in the forum.

Have a nice Kurviger experience!

--
Emux
Kurviger_1.png

Oliver

Jun 8, 2018, 9:00:31 AM6/8/18
to Kurviger
Wieder ein klasse Update.

Danke Gruß Oliver

Achim Haberkorn

Jun 8, 2018, 3:51:55 PM6/8/18
to Kurviger
Klasse update. Schnellste Route funktioniert top. Und das mit der Suche in Landscape habt ihr auch hinbekommen.
Gruß Achim

Matthias L.

Jun 12, 2018, 2:55:39 PM6/12/18
to Kurviger
Ich kann das Update nicht installieren. Hat noch jemand das Problem bzw. eine Lösung?

Emux

Jun 13, 2018, 3:04:33 AM6/13/18
to kurv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthias,

Sorry to hear that!

What device model and Android do you have?
Does the update appears in Google Play app?
What do you mean, that cannot update, what exactly happens?

There were some reports in forum to search (probably in German) for updates that could not finish.
It seems device related, we don't control the install / update process, it's Google Play's responsibility.
Some mentioned that after device restart or update of Google Play, that worked again.

--
Emux

Emux

Jun 13, 2018, 3:11:35 AM6/13/18
to kurv...@googlegroups.com
For anyone interested:

It seems that Android Studio (the Android development IDE) had issues lately producing Google Play applications that could fail to install / update! :(

They mention that is fixed in their latest IDE version.

That will be used in next Kurviger version (next days), let's hope all will work ok again. :)

--
Emux

Matthias L.

Jun 13, 2018, 3:48:40 AM6/13/18
to Kurviger
Uninstall and reinstall Kurviger Pro and the problem is solved.
Thanks for the tip to Achim Haberkorn

Emux

Jun 14, 2018, 4:40:26 AM6/14/18
to kurv...@googlegroups.com
Kurviger 1.1.17-1 was released:

- UI: long press on map, bookmarks or search results to Show on Google Maps

Can long press and use the option to show the map on Google Maps / Street View, helping explore those areas how they are in real life.

There are also various app improvements, hoping latest Google IDE to solved the install problem that some users had.

--
Emux

Uli LH

Jun 15, 2018, 3:39:40 PM6/15/18
to Kurviger
That's really great, Emux - again! Thank you for this very nice feature!!

Hermann Hehn

Jun 16, 2018, 5:59:31 AM6/16/18
to Kurviger
First of all I'd like to thank for this cool app.
It is exactly what I need for driving motorbike.

However, there is at least one important issue.

Yesterday I created a route in Kurviger and began to navigate.
During navigation i switch of the screen (I usually also start music in the background) and relay to the voice comands of the navigation.

This works fine, at least for a few minuts. The comands are clear. So everything was fine.

BUt after a while the app "forgot" to proceed. Then goto homescreen, kurviger calculate route and again.
It allways happens this way.

Finally I tried the same thing with screen on (brighness reduced). And then it works reliable.

With navigon I allways do navigation this way - but can not get routes in navigon 8 -

Switch off the screen allows me to drive the whole afternoon without akku fail.

So, please fix this issue. Dont let the app fall in sleep after 5 to 10 min.

Thank you

Emux

Jun 16, 2018, 6:35:51 AM6/16/18
to kurv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hermann,

Thanks for the kind words and the detailed description!

When turned on again the screen was navigation still active?
i.e. there should be a running notification like in image

Can you tell us also the device model and Android version?

There are some Android manufacturers (e.g. Sony, Huawei, Xiaomi, Meizu, etc) which modify heavily Android and have special modes which "kill" background apps after a while to save battery.
Regardless if apps follow the official guidelines to be allowed to work in background. In such cases would need to change in device settings to allow Kurviger to work in background.
We have some instructions for Huawei and Xiaomi in our wiki, if that's a relevant case.

--
Emux
Kurviger.png

Hermann Hehn

Jun 16, 2018, 12:47:00 PM6/16/18
to Kurviger
Hello Emux,
I run Huawei P10. With Android 8.0.
I am not totally sure, but when I unlocked the phone Kurviger did not update the position. So i need to press the circle to grt it back.
Sometimes the app also could have been closed, here i am not sure if it was running in background. I will check this.

I dot think it is thr phone that kill the app, because Navigon works like a charme on the locked phone. There must ne something else.

Today i did a 200km tour. Kurviger runs aktive screen was as dark as possible. It works for 5 hours. Still 55% akku. But active screen sometimes get touched. So better run under lockscreen.

Another issue. In areas with bad gps the app very quickly recalc. I think it is too sensitive in that compared to ithers.

Beside that, a great app!

Hermann Hehn

Jun 16, 2018, 12:56:54 PM6/16/18
to Kurviger
One thing ti mention. The problem I described happend with the last version of curviger. Aftrr that there was an update

Emux

Jun 16, 2018, 1:17:32 PM6/16/18
to kurv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hermann,

If you can, it's important to check next time if the app and navigation was still running while opened the screen (like the notification seen above).

If the app was not running then naturally would need some time to find again the location via GPS satellites, when restart or resume it.

But since being a Huawei device, first candidate to test is its battery optimization system.
Can you check our documentation and see what are the protected apps and add Kurviger too?
Then can test again with closed screen?

Regarding rerouting, it already has a distance + time safety, specifically to deal with sudden GPS jumps.
Can enable the Kalman filter option in Settings > Map in order to "correct" those GPS errors for smooth movement?

Thanks for the follow up and please keep us informed if make more tests, so we can improve more the app!

--
Emux

Hermann Hehn

Jun 17, 2018, 1:56:04 AM6/17/18
to Kurviger
Hi Emux,

yes, I will test again today or in the next days. This time i will leave the screen bright to not touch something else.

I adjustet the App settings to ensure running in the background. However, navigon keep running in the background without a problem.

I switched on the calman filter.

I will post my results

Regards

Emux

Jun 17, 2018, 7:38:04 AM6/17/18
to kurv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hermann,

> This time i will leave the screen bright to not touch something else.

You mentioned that tested that and worked fine, so need to see how is navigation with screen off on your device?

> However, navigon keep running in the background without a problem.

Please check the article mentioned in documentation, need to "protect" any background app separately - after install - in Huawei devices, which want to not be "killed" by system.

Don't know how Navigon works, perhaps it's already "protected".
Unfortunately manufacturers don't respect Android guidelines and we cannot cover all specific model cases, need to change things also in their device settings. :)

Thanks for any extra testing, we're waiting for your results!
But please have a look at your Huawei settings, or else could not work.

--
Emux

Hermann Hehn

Jun 17, 2018, 8:20:20 AM6/17/18
to Kurviger
OK, I reproduced the behaviour. Kurviger crashes somtimes when running behind lockscreen. There seems not to be a Huawei or Android issue.

Test: Ride 30 min.

1) Start with music in background, kurviger runing. Start Navigation. Put Phone in Lockscreen.
Navigation works fine for about 10min. Then silence. When switch of startscreen, kurviger was gone! (OK, when starting the task manager, I saw the last screen of kurviger. Tap on it, will launch kurviger to the last screen. Tap circle to go to position. Tap right sign to start navigation again).

2) Then same procedure without music - same result after 5 min.

3) Rest of the ride, another 10min with music and it works fine. At home Kurviger was still running when I go to the startscreen.

Something happens occasionally when running in the backgound. It is not GPS because it recalc up and then also within all Tests.
Message has been deleted

Emux

Jun 17, 2018, 8:27:38 AM6/17/18
to kurv...@googlegroups.com
> There seems not to be a Huawei or Android issue.

Description clearly indicates that Huawei "kills" the background app after a while.

Solution appears being in OS side, so need to play with device specific settings.

--
Emux

Hermann Hehn

Jun 17, 2018, 9:31:39 AM6/17/18
to Kurviger
I dont think so.

For the first all other apps work in the background e.g. Navigon, es folder player, blitzer.de are working fine all together running in background.

And i changed the power saving settings for kurviger from autimatic to manually running in the background. I even do not do this for navigon.

There must be another event triggwr this.

Btw. I did manually switch ti look screen, u did not wait untul the programm switch off the screen

Hermann Hehn

Jun 17, 2018, 10:22:59 AM6/17/18
to Kurviger
The sttings i used are in
Settings, akku, start, app administration

Hermann Hehn

Jun 18, 2018, 1:11:25 AM6/18/18
to Kurviger
Does kurviger creates a log file during its operation?
Regards
Message has been deleted

Emux

Jun 18, 2018, 2:34:32 AM6/18/18
to kurv...@googlegroups.com
No, there is not any log.

--
Emux

Emux

Jun 18, 2018, 4:09:36 AM6/18/18
to kurv...@googlegroups.com
Kurviger 1.1.17-2 was released with internal improvements regarding install / update issues that some users had due to Android Studio D8 dex compiler.

Anyone had problems lately to install or update Kurviger app please try again the new version. :)

As the issue was clearly caused from external factor and hadn't any "such" device to debug it easily, thanks should go to Robert and Chris who helped us on testing!

--
Emux

Robin

Jun 18, 2018, 10:38:22 AM6/18/18
to Kurviger
Hi Herman,

> There seems not to be a Huawei or Android issue.

Since the app works with all devices, also in background, except for issues with some aggressive battery optimizations options from some manufacturers (as noted by Emux) I feel reasonably certain that this is a manufacturer issue. Just search for "Huawei kills app in background", you will find many people that suffer this issue with all kind of different apps.

You can have a look here where one user recommends to:
"
Settings -> Applications and Notifications -> Applications -> Settings (at the bottom) -> Special access -> Ignore optimization
The exact wording might be different, I'm not running in English.
"

You can also have a look here, where people complain over 30 pages how their Huawei stops this app or that app. No developer so far seems to be able to solve this issue. It seems that there is a hack for widgets. We would love to fix this issue, but the actual fix has to come from Huawei, we cannot change any system behavior. If anyone knows about a fix for this, please feel free to let us know, I wasted several hours of research about Huawei's "Optimization" and there is nothing really helpful out there. We follow the official Android guidelines and even run some code to improve the behavior for Huawei devices, but there is nothing else we can do about this. Huawei is known to add popular apps an internal protected apps list, therefore some popular apps are protected by default. It might be that Navigon as a big manufacturer was protected by default. AFAIK Blitzer.de works because of the widget. Feel free to do some more research about this topic, there is a record in different forums of apps that have been added over time to automatically protected apps by Huawei.

Cheers,
Robin

Frank

Jun 18, 2018, 1:37:54 PM6/18/18
to Kurviger
Hello,
I have a Huawei P10lite with Android 7 and Kurviger runs flawlessly. With shutdown, there were no problems, use Kurviger only with announcement without display.
Under the Battery option, Kurviger must be approved as a power-intensive app and under Apps there is the option Battery for each installed app.
Here "close after screen lock" must be deactivated.

Greeting Frank

Hermann Hehn

Jun 18, 2018, 2:44:14 PM6/18/18
to Kurviger
Ok, I did work with the batterie app settings. But when it wotk on your device then there must be something else.
I will try it in my old samsung.

However in my Huawei p10 the power settings are a little different (also german). But I found those huawei issues on the web.

Hermann Hehn

Jun 18, 2018, 3:49:17 PM6/18/18
to Kurviger
It seems to work now.
On my firmware the settings are slightly different.
I put all apps to automatic only kurviger to manual with all start settings checked.

Tested locally and worked fine now.

Regards and thanks

Hermann Hehn

Jun 19, 2018, 2:47:50 AM6/19/18
to Kurviger
Sorry, I have to correct myself. I seem to be on track to find the issue, but I still dont have it.
I compared running kurviger on a samsung and my huawei locally (in my room without movement).
On both phones the app remain running behind lock screen. This worked after I changed the settings of the huawei for batterie saving.

BUt on the road, the huawei still kills the app. At least I got a new clue: kurviger say: "Position unknown" when clicking on the Route symbol.

The huawei kills another funktion out of kurviger, which makes kurviger runs blind. I will search in the internet.

Is there another huawei user who can help to tackle this?

Emux

Jun 19, 2018, 2:57:07 AM6/19/18
to kurv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hermann,

The navigation will remain running when turn off screen, so should have that enabled first.

If doing tests indoor need to check Android location settings what option have for device to find the location.

Outdoor naturally can use GPS, but indoor GPS cannot work so need to enable also WiFi location, etc. in Android settings.

--
Emux

Robin

Jun 19, 2018, 4:41:21 AM6/19/18
to Kurviger
Hi Herman,

thanks for coming back and testing different device settings :). It's great to hear that part of the issue could be solved already.

I guess there is a setting in the battery optimization to disable GPS in the background or something like that.

You can always try to install the app GPS status, the app is known to fix man GPS related issues. We recently had a similar question here in the forum where GPS status fixed the issue.

Cheers,
Robin

Hermann Hehn

Jun 20, 2018, 2:53:49 AM6/20/18
to Kurviger
Hi Robin,

thanks, but I am still not there and I have two questions:
1) If  you ignore the route for a certain time, does Kurviger shut down or does it continue to comand you to the right way?
2) I activated "not keep the screen on". If the screen goes of, is it the same condition like lock screen via pressed power button?

Background: I tested again and I startet when the screen was fading to black. Navigation works a while, but when going back to the fast route (way to work) it shut down after 10 or so comands which i ignored.

I will today test the GPS Status in the background

Regards
Hermann

Hermann Hehn

Jun 20, 2018, 3:31:29 AM6/20/18
to Kurviger
Maybe I have found the solution for Huawei Users:

Try this.

Settings

Apps

There is another settings button at the bottom of the apps screen. open that.

special access

ignore optimisations

change view to all apps, then choose the ones you want to ignore optimisations.

I will see if this does its job!

Robin

Jun 20, 2018, 3:54:07 AM6/20/18
to Kurviger
Hi Herman,

thanks for the update. Please let us know if this fixes your issue.

Cheers,
Robin

e08...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2018, 7:46:20 AM7/4/18
to Kurviger
On my Samsung S5 the pro app is crashing directly after installation (1.1.17-2). Just setting the rights and even before I can hit the OK button on the displayed window it crashes.
Tried clear, reinstallation, restart and even deleted any wallpapers to spare some ram. nothing worked.

But at least the non pro (normal?) app runs without problems.
Any Idea?

Eric

Emux

Jul 4, 2018, 8:01:07 AM7/4/18
to kurv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,

Sorry to hear that, what Android version, is it any custom ROM?

Do you mean the displayed dialog after permissions?
With "Please keep your eyes on the road..." (appears also in Free).

--
Emux

e08...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2018, 8:09:48 AM7/4/18
to Kurviger
Wow, thats really quick. Thank you!

Yes it's that "keep the eyes on the road" message. If I'm really quick and with a little luck I'm able to hit the OK button before it crashes. But then it would crash on the next try before showing a map. But after showing the buttons of the GUI.

It's Android 6.0.1 no custom ROM.

Eric

Robin

Jul 4, 2018, 8:24:20 AM7/4/18
to Kurviger
Hi Eric,

Do you see any error messages or is there an option to report the issue / send feedback?

Did you try to close all apps, restart your device, and try if it works then?

Cheers,
Robin

Emux

Jul 4, 2018, 8:31:18 AM7/4/18
to kurv...@googlegroups.com
BTW did the issue appeared after an app update or did you installed Pro for the first time now?

--
Emux

e08...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2018, 9:12:43 AM7/4/18
to Kurviger
There is an option to send feedback. It was not clear to me, if this feedback was only sent to the playstore or if it would really help...
It is a new installation. Even the installation of the "normal" app was only a test of me after the pro version didn't run (the app was recommended to me, so directly started with pro).
Tried a restart of the handy and with and without WLAN (mobile data then...). There is no app like Avast, Antivir or something like that running.

Eric

Robin

Jul 4, 2018, 9:22:03 AM7/4/18
to Kurviger
Hi Eric,

please use the send feedback option :). We will receive some debugging information that can help us solve this issue, otherwise we are only guessing. Let us know when you send the feedback, and we will see if we can reproduce the issue.

Cheers,
Robin

e08...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2018, 9:30:15 AM7/4/18
to Kurviger
Deinstalled everything, did a reboot and reinstalled the pro version. Crashed again. Sent the report. Something like "Crash on Samsung S5 after clean installation" (or at least something like that).

Thank you for your support.
Actually I didn't expected any :-)

(By the way I am German and could switch to german, if you prefer...)

Eric

Robin

Jul 5, 2018, 6:23:52 AM7/5/18
to Kurviger
Hi Eric,

could you try to send the report again. Not sure if you included the diagnostics information? AFAIK, we have not received a report from you yet. Sorry for the inconvenience :).

> By the way I am German and could switch to german, if you prefer...

If you are comfortable with English, we prefer to write in English, so everyone has a chance to contribute, even when not being a German speaker (Kurviger, despite the German name, is an international project with users from all over the world :)).

Cheers,
Robin

On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 3:30:15 PM UTC+2, e0815f:

e08...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2018, 5:35:56 PM7/5/18
to Kurviger
Sorry, this wasn't the best day of my life.
Sent it again. Just as "ROBIN".

Eric

Emux

Jul 9, 2018, 4:37:54 AM7/9/18
to kurv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,

(that's strange, still cannot see anything from an S5 in the console)

But have found online that some Samsung devices with Android 6 have problems with their Text-to-speech engines, as they're modified from the manufacturer..

We can try some improvements for next version, but thing is in device's Android modifications.

Can you try setting in Android language settings, as default Text-to-speech output the Google engine instead of Samsung and try again installing the app?

--
Emux

e08...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2018, 4:55:07 AM7/9/18
to Kurviger
Hi Emux,

switching to Google TTS fixed the crash.

I'm VERY impressed by your support.
Thank you very much.

Eric

Emux

Jul 9, 2018, 4:59:22 AM7/9/18
to kurv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the follow up Eric!

To be sure, before there was the Samsung Text-to-speech as default?

So we need to find a way to improve that situation for the future. :)

--
Emux

e08...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2018, 5:17:08 AM7/9/18
to Kurviger
Yes, with the crash it was set to Samsung TextToSpeach.
Actually I was convinced I switched to Google TTS a long time ago and didn't bother about Samsung TTS any more.
And actually I had to search for the Samsung TTS update and install it to be able to switch to Google. Otherwise the setup crashed.
Now curviger would also run with Samsung TTS (tested it), but I keep the Google TTS as I had intended before.

So I have to admit that I was big part of the problem. Sorry for that :-(

Eric

Emux

Jul 9, 2018, 5:38:05 AM7/9/18
to kurv...@googlegroups.com
Do you mean that with a newer update of the Samsung Text-to-speech the problem was solved?

--
Emux

e08...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2018, 5:48:04 AM7/9/18
to Kurviger
Yes.

Unfortunately I wasn't aware of using Samsung TTS. I was quite convinced that I was using the Google TTS since I switched to Google TTS a long time ago. Therefor I didn't bother about Samsung TTS any more, but also didn't check the settings :-(
But again: After the update of Samsung TTS Kurviger is also running like a charm when I switch to Samsung TTS. But I prefer Google TTS.

Eric

Emux

Jul 9, 2018, 6:10:23 AM7/9/18
to kurv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Eric for the additional details, they will help us improve more the app!

--
Emux