4th Option "[really] Fastest" useful?

Uli LH

May 23, 2018, 3:15:58 AM5/23/18
to Kurviger
Question:

Could it not be useful to rename the recent option "Fastest" to "Very fast" and add a 4th option "Fastest" to get as quickly as possible to a destination without switching to another application (like Google Maps)?

Background:

As mentioned in another thread I use Google Maps parallelly to Kurviger to get as quickly as possible to a destination, mostly by highways.

Now Kurviger offers the "Fastest" option, which is indeed not the fastest route in every case - so perhaps call it better "Very fast".

I just made two tests (browser versions):

TEST 1

From my place to "Breisach am Rhein" (where my brother lives):
- Google Maps offers the both routes "271 km - 3:05 h" and "285 km - 3:00 h" (https://goo.gl/maps/Wa1Jr3u3BvE2),
- whereas Kurviger only offers (option "fast") "271 km - 3:23 h" (https://kurv.gr/rQ90q).

TEST 2, even more remarkable:

From my place to "Limburg an der Lahn" (to this place there is a fast highway connection as well as nice other routes):
- Google Maps: "77,6 km - 0:59 h", "73,4 km - 1:33" and "86,9 km - 1:30" of course via A3, a route which route everybody will take to get quickly to Limburg (https://goo.gl/maps/Mb2DBMUjM3Q2).
- Kurvy (option "fast"): "59,11 km - 1:14 h", and NOT offering the route via A3 but only via B417  - of course nicer but taking 25 % more of time (https://kurv.gr/s9RAi).

(The Highway route via A3 appears indeed only in Kurviger App if the Option "Alternative routes" is activated - with all the disadvantages we discussed before in another thread and which I deactivated therefore - and which is NOT offered in the browser version too (or?).)

Result and suggestion:

So even the "Fast" option of Kurviger does not take the fastest route in every case (as shown above).

Would it then not be useful to rename the recent option "Fastest" to "Very fast" (to avoid misunderstandings) and to offer a 4th option "Fastest" to get offered a similar result as in Maps just to get quickly to a destination or, usually after a long trip, back home?

Uli

Emux

May 23, 2018, 3:22:04 AM5/23/18
to kurv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Uli,

> and which is NOT offered in the browser version too (or?)

Quick note:

Kurviger website and Kurviger Free app work in parallel, being free both offer the same features.

Kurviger Pro app offers advanced features which are more specific to it.

--
Emux

Robin

May 23, 2018, 3:45:52 AM5/23/18
to Kurviger
> Could it not be useful to rename the recent option "Fastest" to "Very fast"

Yes, or faster, or anything along these lines would make sense.

> add a 4th option "Fastest" to get as quickly as possible to a destination without switching to another application (like Google Maps)?

Mhm maybe. This is a common request, but it has major implications on the backend, so it's not just a minor change. And in the end it will never come close to Google Maps and people will start complaining why the fastest route is not as good as GMaps (well we don't have traffic data).

Will need to think about this.

> So even the "Fast" option of Kurviger does not take the fastest route in every case (as shown above).

Yes, and it shouldn't IMHO. An actually fastest option should probably offer this.

Cheers,
Robin

Norbert Grass

May 23, 2018, 6:25:32 AM5/23/18
to Kurviger
Imho too many options give you too many errors and complexity -- in the end it will be worse than better. Every navigation must be used with common sense in mind (we all know the stories of people driving into the canal etc... :)
Just my 5 ct. VG, NG.

Uli LH

May 23, 2018, 11:15:08 AM5/23/18
to Kurviger
Am Mittwoch, 23. Mai 2018 09:45:52 UTC+2 schrieb Robin:
And in the end it will never come close to Google Maps and people will start complaining why the fastest route is not as good as GMaps (well we don't have traffic data).

I agree - probably you are right.

(And did not believe that it would make much work since I thought it "only" would need to use other road tags - but obvioulsy I am wrong with this once again ... :))) )

For me the consequence is that I will go on using Google Maps to get to a destination as fast as possible by highways, including traffic situation, and then switch to Kurviger, and back home vice versa.

I just posted therefore some other ideas and a description how to combine both by exchanging GPX in the appropriate thread ("GPX exchange ...").

Perhaps useful ...

Emux

May 23, 2018, 2:37:24 PM5/23/18
to kurv...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

We decided to offer a new real Fastest route option!
Which will perform your known fastest routing (i.e. not curvy), exactly like appears on all common navigators!

Current fastest (curvy) option, since contains curvy calculations, will be renamed to something like "Fast" or "Fast and Curvy" or ...

We'll start working on that asap, stay tuned! :)

--
Emux

Uli LH

May 23, 2018, 3:13:17 PM5/23/18
to Kurviger
YOU ARE GREAT!!! :)))

Chris Schwarzwald

May 26, 2018, 12:57:11 PM5/26/18
to Kurviger
I hope that it will then behave a bit more like motoplaner/Google maps..:.

For example, I've tried to route from 79689 Maulburg to Grenoble via the Swiss motorway, and from there Eastwards into the Alps. But Kurviger just won't let me ride till Grenoble on the Swiss motorway even if I set waypoints on it, it always directs me to the next exit. Or it takes me all the way through France, and that's with the "Schnellstes Route" setting.

I would expect a software to follow my preset waypoints/stops in the most "logical" way. Ah well, difficult to satisfy everybody :-), especially if now all the motoplaner-users come with a preformed mindset..keep up the good work Robin, and all who support the programming.

Robin

Jun 8, 2018, 8:31:38 AM6/8/18
to Kurviger
Hi,

we are happy to let you know that we added the option for the fastest route. I hope this makes your planning easier and more enjoyable.

Cheers,
Robin

Uli LH

Jun 10, 2018, 9:46:27 AM6/10/18
to Kurviger
We had our first test of the new option today - worked very well!! :)

Never experienced such a close and successful co-working between application developpers and users - BIG COMPLIMENT to Robin & Emux!!!

And a big THANK YOU!!!

Emux

Jun 10, 2018, 1:36:19 PM6/10/18
to kurv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Uli,

We really appreciate your kind words and your continuous support, thanks very much! :)

--
Emux