Node IDs?

Tim Hockin

Aug 26, 2016, 2:08:45 PM8/26/16
to kubernete...@googlegroups.com
What's the difference between NodeSystemInfo.MachineID and
.SystemUUID? I want to log something that has no risk of privacy
information but is also not going to be deprecated. I'm a fan of
UUIDs, so I hope that wins, but I just need someone with context to
tell me which field to use.

Tim

Vishnu Kannan

Aug 26, 2016, 5:04:47 PM8/26/16
to Tim Hockin, kubernetes-sig-node
I'd recommend using `MachineID` since `SystemUUID` can be the BIOS ID at times.

Tim

Tim Hockin

Aug 26, 2016, 5:09:44 PM8/26/16
to Vishnu Kannan, kubernetes-sig-node
Dawn said one is to be EOL'ed ? what is Machine ID? How is it
generated and what does it hold?

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 2:04 PM, Vishnu Kannan <vis...@google.com> wrote:
> I'd recommend using `MachineID` since `SystemUUID` can be the BIOS ID at
> times.
>
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 11:08 AM, 'Tim Hockin' via kubernetes-sig-node
> <kubernete...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>>
>> What's the difference between NodeSystemInfo.MachineID and
>> .SystemUUID? I want to log something that has no risk of privacy
>> information but is also not going to be deprecated. I'm a fan of
>> UUIDs, so I hope that wins, but I just need someone with context to
>> tell me which field to use.
>>
>> Tim

Vishnu Kannan

Aug 26, 2016, 5:28:08 PM8/26/16

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 2:09 PM, 'Tim Hockin' via kubernetes-sig-node <kubernete...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Dawn said one is to be EOL'ed ?  what is Machine ID?  How is it
generated and what does it hold?

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 2:04 PM, Vishnu Kannan <vis...@google.com> wrote:
> I'd recommend using `MachineID` since `SystemUUID` can be the BIOS ID at
> times.
>
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 11:08 AM, 'Tim Hockin' via kubernetes-sig-node
> <kubernetes-sig-node@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>>
>> What's the difference between NodeSystemInfo.MachineID and
>> .SystemUUID?  I want to log something that has no risk of privacy
>> information but is also not going to be deprecated.  I'm a fan of
>> UUIDs, so I hope that wins, but I just need someone with context to
>> tell me which field to use.
>>
>> Tim

Dawn Chen

Aug 26, 2016, 6:17:36 PM8/26/16
to kubernetes-sig-node, tho...@google.com
We want to use MachineID for machine inventory manager, and on systemd node, it is assigned by systemd. Kubelet / cAdvisor reads both /etc/machine-id and /var/lib/dbus/machine-id. If both are empty, we just leave it as empty.

SystemUUID is the one we talked about to deprecate, and quickly found Redhat is used heavily.

Tim Hockin

Aug 26, 2016, 7:42:03 PM8/26/16
to Dawn Chen, kubernetes-sig-node
Can we just get one field that is a UUID generated by kubelet or
something that that we can rely on in *all* installations? What you
just described is insane. TWO poorly documented fields, both
optional...

Brandon Philips

Aug 26, 2016, 7:47:21 PM8/26/16
to Tim Hockin, Dawn Chen, kubernetes-sig-node
/etc/machine-id is used consistently on every modern linux using systemd. I would prefer that we continue that trend and use that field and generate our own only if /etc/machine-id doesn't exist.

Vishnu Kannan

Aug 26, 2016, 7:47:45 PM8/26/16
to Tim Hockin, Dawn Chen, kubernetes-sig-node
I agree with you Tim. Can we deprecate fields from v1.Node?

Brandon Philips

Aug 26, 2016, 7:48:41 PM8/26/16
to Dawn Chen, kubernetes-sig-node, tho...@google.com
On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 3:17 PM 'Dawn Chen' via kubernetes-sig-node <kubernete...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

SystemUUID is the one we talked about to deprecate, and quickly found Redhat is used heavily.

Can it be turned into a label field instead? Like "redhat.com/system-uuid"?

Brandon

Tim Hockin

Aug 26, 2016, 7:49:45 PM8/26/16
to Vishnu Kannan, Dawn Chen, kubernetes-sig-node
we probably can't deprecate fields but we can document which one(s) matter...
>> email to kubernetes-sig-...@googlegroups.com.

Brandon Philips

Sep 16, 2016, 11:25:40 PM9/16/16
to Tim Hockin, Vishnu Kannan, Dawn Chen, kubernetes-sig-node