Contributor Job Board

Jorge Castro

Aug 2, 2018, 9:24:35 AM8/2/18
to SIG Contributor Experience
Hi everyone,

I happened to be at Google Next and ran into Brian Grant, who had some good ideas about matching contributors with SIGs. I thought I'd post the rough idea here to get a discussion going.

So the idea is like a contributor job board, similar to how the release team picks roles.

SIGs would fill out a little template of what this job is, expectations, time required, who's available for mentorship, that sort of thing. These would all be posted in a board, and then new contributors could peruse them and connect with SIGs that need help.

These just wouldn't be 'go fix help-wanted issues' style things, it'd need to be a meaty position with some autonomy, things that would encourage people to do a shadow position for. "SIG Foo needs a notetaker" probably wouldn't work.

The other half is perhaps "help-available", where would be contributors could fill out a little form that they can put their skills, time available, interests, that sort of thing.

Thoughts?

Ihor Dvoretskyi

Aug 2, 2018, 9:26:27 AM8/2/18
to Jorge Castro, SIG Contributor Experience
Great idea.

+1

Jeffrey Sica

Aug 2, 2018, 9:32:45 AM8/2/18
to ihor.dv...@gmail.com, jo...@heptio.com, kubernetes-s...@googlegroups.com

Paris Pittman

Aug 2, 2018, 10:25:55 AM8/2/18
to Jorge Castro, SIG Contributor Experience
We've discussed this before but not publicly so here is my +1 :)

Paris Pittman

Kubernetes Community

Open Source Strategy, Google Cloud

345 Spear Street, San Francisco, 94105

Jorge Castro

Brian Grant

Christoph Blecker

Aug 2, 2018, 11:21:23 AM8/2/18
to Jorge Castro, Paris Pittman, SIG Contributor Experience
The biggest thing I’d want to have a large disclaimer about is this isn’t an actual “Job Board”. Like I don’t want companies thinking this is where they can post their kubernetes job listings.

Josh Berkus

Aug 2, 2018, 11:26:58 AM8/2/18
On 08/02/2018 06:23 AM, Jorge Castro wrote:
> The other half is perhaps "help-available", where would be contributors
> could fill out a little form that they can put their skills, time
> available, interests, that sort of thing.
>
> Thoughts?

Using Discuss for this, or some other mechanism?

Josh Berkus
Kubernetes Community
Red Hat OSAS

Brian Grant

Aug 2, 2018, 11:43:52 AM8/2/18
to Christoph Blecker, Jorge Castro, Paris Pittman, kubernetes-s...@googlegroups.com
Good point. We need a different name. "Contributor role" board?

Ihor Dvoretskyi

Aug 2, 2018, 11:45:12 AM8/2/18
to Brian Grant, Christoph Blecker, Jorge Castro, Paris Pittman, SIG Contributor Experience

Bob Killen

Aug 2, 2018, 11:56:49 AM8/2/18
to ihor.dv...@gmail.com, brian...@google.com, cble...@gmail.com, Jorge Castro, parisp...@google.com, kubernetes-s...@googlegroups.com
There is a general contributors section, but what about something like

'Looking for Contributors'

not quite sure on the inverse..Contributor Looking for SIG? Contributor Looking for Project? Contributor Looking to Help?

Paris Pittman

Aug 2, 2018, 12:11:10 PM8/2/18
to Ihor Dvoretskyi, Brian Grant, Christoph Blecker, Jorge Castro, SIG Contributor Experience
what about a play on our help wanted label as the title?

"/help"
blurb about how to find help wanted issues at the top and then copy describing the list of "other" jobs (ie - "if you can't find an issue to work on, try one of these below!" or some variation of)

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 8:44 AM, Ihor Dvoretskyi <ihor.dv...@gmail.com> wrote:
"Contributors" board?

On Aug 2, 2018, at 07:29, Jorge Castro <jo...@heptio.com> wrote:

[...]

Jorge Castro

Aug 6, 2018, 9:28:55 AM8/6/18
to Paris Pittman, Ihor Dvoretskyi, Brian Grant, Christoph Blecker, SIG Contributor Experience
We can't do slashes for software reasons, but I can do a prototype in discuss in about an hour today (we don't seem to have any -1's so far).

We could file it as "Role Board" which slots under "Contributors", so it'll look like "Contributors Job Board" in the taxonomy. We can of course, always rename it.

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 6:43 PM 'Brian Grant' via kubernetes-sig-contribex <kubernetes-s...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
[...]

Jorge Castro

Aug 8, 2018, 1:09:31 PM8/8/18
to Paris Pittman, Ihor Dvoretskyi, Brian Grant, Christoph Blecker, SIG Contributor Experience
OK, as per our sig contribex meeting today, we'll take it to a vote:

Current names:
"Contributor Roles"
"Role Board"
"Looking for Contributors"

"Contributors" won't work because it's below a "Contributors" section already and would read as "Contributors Contributors".
"/help" won't work for syntax reasons.

Please feel to propose other names.

Winner will be selected after 72 hours of lazy concensus.

Brian Grant

Aug 8, 2018, 1:48:14 PM8/8/18
to Jorge Castro, Paris Pittman, Ihor Dvoretskyi, Christoph Blecker, kubernetes-s...@googlegroups.com
I'm fine with any of those, though I feel that something with "role" in the name is more indicative of the intent.

Thanks.

Josh Berkus

Aug 8, 2018, 2:02:58 PM8/8/18
to Jorge Castro, Paris Pittman, Ihor Dvoretskyi, Brian Grant, Christoph Blecker, SIG Contributor Experience
On 08/08/2018 10:08 AM, Jorge Castro wrote:
> Current names:
> "Contributor Roles"
> "Role Board"
> "Looking for Contributors"

"Contributors Wanted"

advantages: short, direct, shouldn't attract recruiters, abbreviates
well (CW).

Ihor Dvoretskyi

Aug 9, 2018, 11:28:46 AM8/9/18
to Josh Berkus, Jorge Castro, Paris Pittman, Brian Grant, Christoph Blecker, SIG Contributor Experience
> "Looking for Contributors"

I'd prefer this.

Jorge Castro

Aug 22, 2018, 2:17:01 PM8/22/18
to Ihor Dvoretskyi, Josh Berkus, Paris Pittman, Brian Grant, Christoph Blecker, SIG Contributor Experience
Ok going with "Role Board" until I get yelled at. :D

I've got some jobs coming from SIG Contributor Experience coming soon!