K8s DevStats

Dan Kohn

Oct 14, 2017, 4:24:06 PM10/14/17
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, Lukasz Gryglicki
I'm pleased to announce the beta release of DevStats, a new open source tool to help the K8s community monitor its development and workflow:

https://github.com/cncf/gha2db

The work to date has been done by Lukasz Gryglicki, a CNCF-funded contract developer, under direction from Brian Grant, Garrett Rodrigues and me. It builds on the http://velodrome.k8s.io/ dashboards created by Antoine Pelisse.

The basic architecture is that it downloads all public GitHub activities from the last 3 years (via GitHub Archives), throws out all data not from the ~80 Kubernetes repos, stores the results in Postgres, processes them and stores the time series in InfluxDB, and then displays views via Grafana. It then runs a cron job to download the newest data every hour.

The two big advantages of getting data from GitHub archives instead of the GitHub API or BigQuery (as Velodrome does) is that all historical data is available, and anyone can fork the project and quickly download the same databases that the production server is using. The goal of gha2db is to be an open source project that accepts pull requests for new and improved visualizations.

There are currently 25 dashboards available. One of the nice aspects of Grafana is that selecting a date range (by dragging) or selecting options from the templates changes the URL, and so hopefully many potential users will find that they can just bookmark their preferred views of the data without needing to do or request any new development.

Lukasz continues to work on gha2db full time. Please report bugs via GitHub issues, or even better, submit pull requests. We will rely on ContribX to help prioritize the feature list.

Also, Lukasz will be in Austin for KubeCon + CloudNativeCon and we can hold a BOF to discuss gha2db if there's interest.
--
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io

Jessica Frazelle

Oct 14, 2017, 4:36:34 PM10/14/17
to Dan Kohn, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, Lukasz Gryglicki
This is really cool!
> --

Jessie Frazelle
4096R / D4C4 DD60 0D66 F65A 8EFC 511E 18F3 685C 0022 BFF3
pgp.mit.edu

Brian Grant

Oct 15, 2017, 2:49:07 PM10/15/17
to Dan Kohn, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, Lukasz Gryglicki
Thank you for sponsoring this project. It's critical to the health of Kubernetes, and will hopefully be useful to other projects as well.

While Kubernetes is an awesome, exciting open-source project, it's still a (large) software project, and therefore subject to the ordinary forces governing software projects, such as:

Kubernetes has around 250 monthly active contributors. There are around 30 SIGs and WGs.

The project is at a scale that it cannot be run efficiently and effectively without timely and actionable metrics, to identify bottlenecks, assess impact of process and tooling changes, direct contributors to areas in need of more resources and away from those with surplusses, and so on.

One example:

The following graph shows the PR merge rate by repos grouped by area. "Kubernetes" is kubernetes/kubernetes.

It shows pretty clearly that we have not increased the PR merge rate in kubernetes/kubernetes since 1.0 in 2015, and that all growth in merge rate, as the project has grown from 50 monthly contributors to 250, has occurred in other repositories.

More examples:

Shows a steady increase in merge latency as the number of contributors has grown.

Shows that we nearly doubled the number of reviewers in kubernetes/kubernetes in 2017.

It will take some time to figure out what data we need and how best to use it, but this is a huge step forward.

Brian Grant

Oct 16, 2017, 12:55:46 PM10/16/17
to Dan Kohn, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, Lukasz Gryglicki
Embedded image didn't work. Trying attachment.

(Would link to the graph, but that exact version isn't available in the published version of the dashboard.)

K8s-PRs-per-repogrp.png

Garrett Rodrigues

Oct 16, 2017, 5:39:45 PM10/16/17
to Dan Kohn, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, Lukasz Gryglicki
Lukasz and Dan,

Thank you so much for this work.  It's awesome to be able to pick out some metrics around the project across multiple repositories and groups.

To the rest of the community,

I just wanted to re-iterate Dan's call for feedback.  Please provide feedback and open issues against the repository where this tool lives: https://github.com/cncf/gha2db.  It's a great start but can certainly be augmented and improved.

Finally, check out this sweet graph which shows our community's weekly merge rate across repositories over time: looks like in the week leading up to 1.8, we reached a new peak in PRs merged with more than 550 PRs merged.

Thanks again,
Garrett

On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 1:23 PM, Dan Kohn <d...@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

Garrett

Erick Fejta

Oct 16, 2017, 7:53:13 PM10/16/17
to Garrett Rodrigues, Dan Kohn, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, Lukasz Gryglicki
Nice work! This is a very cool site.

I would like to see data about
  • the distribution of reviews (aka how many reviewers complete 10% 20% 30% etc percent of PRs).
  • the percentage of PRs where the approver is different from the reviewer.
  • average number of people involved in PRs

Garrett

lukaszgryglicki

Oct 17, 2017, 1:31:22 AM10/17/17
to Garrett Rodrigues, Erick Fejta, Dan Kohn, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Please create Issue/Issues/Feature Requests.
Thanks!

Dan Kohn

Oct 20, 2017, 9:17:02 AM10/20/17
to Brian Grant, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, Lukasz Gryglicki
Thanks to a quick fix from the Grafana team, the graph Brian embedded is available again:

And it still makes his point:

The following graph shows the PR merge rate by repos grouped by area. "Kubernetes" is kubernetes/kubernetes.

It shows pretty clearly that we have not increased the PR merge rate in kubernetes/kubernetes since 1.0 in 2015, and that all growth in merge rate, as the project has grown from 50 monthly contributors to 250, has occurred in other repositories.
--
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io

Brian Grant

Oct 20, 2017, 9:32:37 AM10/20/17