Long Term Support Working Group proposal

Timothy Pepper

Oct 15, 2018, 3:09:04 PM10/15/18
to kuberne...@googlegroups.com, Dhawal Yogesh Bhanushali

The recent 1.12 release renewed community commentary that the project drops support of old releases too quickly.  Any support discussion dovetails into the “What is Kubernetes? Kernel? Distribution?” discussion.  With cloud provider and other monolith splitting you get a wider Kubernetes software bill of materials, which makes more complex test, validation, documentation, upgrades.  There’s even a question of whether a shorter release cycle might be useful too or instead of long term support.  So many questions, but we don’t arrive at clear answers or actions without a more formal focus.

So we propose a Long Term Support Working Group (WG LTS) to provide a cross SIG location for focused collection of stakeholder feedback.   [WG LTS is simply shorter than “WG To LTS Or Not To LTS” or “WG What Are We Releasing And Why And How Is It Best Integrated, Validate, And Supported”, but should NOT be read in that shortness to imply LTS is the foregone conclusion.]

What would this working group aim to achieve?

  • We hope for involvement from external users/operators, vendors, distributors, and hosting providers and also from our project internal SIGs, especially Cluster Lifecycle, Cloud Provider, Release, Architecture, but certainly this touches on all the SIGs.
  • With feedback, we can attempt an informed assessment on the tradeoffs of requirements and costs.  Is LTS the answer or not?
    • If it is, we imagine the WG would disband having drafted a KEP, gotten it approved by the project broadly, and returned it to SIG Release to operationalize.
    • If it is not, we perhaps find other answers to propose or at least have a better assessment documenting the state of the project’s support relative to its users’ requirements.

Timeline:

We expect a best-case time line of discussions this fall, especially leveraging the upcoming two KubeCons, leading then to drafting of proposals and decisions in 2019.

Please see here for more information: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1-Z-mUNIs3mUi7AdP1KwoAVNviwKrCoo3lxMb5wzCWbk/edit?usp=sharing

Especially the latter section of “Background Details”.

Next Steps:

We expect a large number of vigorous objectors and supporters, and encourage folks to openly express their thoughts. We will catalog responses. And we all SHOULD keep an open mind here. The point of this proposed working group is specifically to capture feedback and assess whether there is a forward path for incremental improvement to the project’s support processes.

We’re looking here and now for lazy consensus that a working group is the correct Kubernetes project forum to explore this problem space further…which is hopefully in accordance with the current process for working group formation (just changed today).

If that is achieved we’ll look at setting up discussion forums/meetings/etc.

--

Tim Pepper, Dhawal Bhanushali, & SIG-Release

Stephen Augustus

Oct 15, 2018, 3:11:22 PM10/15/18
to Tim Pepper, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, Dhawal Yogesh Bhanushali
+1 for exploration!

Christoph Blecker

Oct 15, 2018, 3:40:40 PM10/15/18
to tpe...@vmware.com, kuberne...@googlegroups.com, dbhan...@vmware.com
I think this is a good topic to explore, and the right forum to explore it in (short lived, a cross cutting problem, etc).

+1 from me.

Davanum Srinivas

Oct 15, 2018, 3:44:52 PM10/15/18
to cble...@gmail.com, tpe...@vmware.com, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, dbhan...@vmware.com
+1 from me. There will be lot of improvements that we can do to what we do today which will be good even if we do not end up doing the "full" LTS.

-- Dims

Sanjeev Kumar

Oct 15, 2018, 4:20:51 PM10/15/18
to dav...@gmail.com, cble...@gmail.com, tpe...@vmware.com, kuberne...@googlegroups.com, dbhan...@vmware.com
+1 to explore..

Regards, Sanjeev

Tim St. Clair

Oct 16, 2018, 2:11:15 PM10/16/18
to tpe...@vmware.com, kubernetes-dev, dbhan...@vmware.com
+1 from me, seeing how I was the instigator.
> --

Cheers,
Timothy St. Clair

“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways
you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all
the people you can. As long as ever you can.”

Aaron Crickenberger

Oct 16, 2018, 9:44:27 PM10/16/18
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
+1 for WG What Are We Releasing And Why And How Is It Best Integrated, Validated, And Supported

- aaron

Stephen Augustus

Oct 16, 2018, 10:03:15 PM10/16/18
to Aaron Crickenberger, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
It does have a nice ring to it. :)

roger....@suse.com

Oct 17, 2018, 10:46:14 PM10/17/18
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
+1 for SUSE supporting this examination.

Klaus Ma

Oct 18, 2018, 3:14:48 AM10/18/18
to Timothy Pepper, kuberne...@googlegroups.com, Dhawal Yogesh Bhanushali
+100

— Klaus

Oct 18, 2018, 3:59:37 AM10/18/18
to kuberne...@googlegroups.com, Timothy Pepper, Dhawal Yogesh Bhanushali
+1 absolutely, goes without saying!

Cheers,
Michael

--
Michael Hausenblas
Ireland, Europe

> [...]
>

> Next Steps:
>

> We expect a large number of vigorous objectors and supporters, and encourage folks to
> openly express their thoughts. We will catalog responses. And we all SHOULD keep an open
> mind here. The point of this proposed working group is specifically to capture feedback
> and assess whether there is a forward path for incremental improvement to the project’s
> support processes.
>

> We’re looking here and now for lazy consensus that a working group is the correct Kubernetes
> project forum to explore this problem space further…which is hopefully in accordance
> with the current process for working group formation
> (just changed today).
>
> If that is achieved we’ll look at setting up discussion forums/meetings/etc.
>

> --
> Tim Pepper, Dhawal Bhanushali, & SIG-Release

Jintao Zhang

Oct 18, 2018, 7:50:24 AM10/18/18
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
+1 from me.

在 2018年10月16日星期二 UTC+8上午3:09:04,Tim Pepper写道:

Pengfei Ni

Daniel Smith

Oct 18, 2018, 1:15:55 PM10/18/18
to Pengfei Ni, kuberne...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to join. I've long claimed that the existing release cadence is the root cause of many of the longstanding problems of the Kubernetes project.

marky.r...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2018, 6:36:53 AM10/19/18
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
+1 from me. I would very much like to join in support of this

Quinton Hoole

Oct 19, 2018, 9:46:47 AM10/19/18
to marky.r...@gmail.com, kubernetes-dev
+1 Great idea. I agree with lavalamp.

Jordan Liggitt

Oct 29, 2018, 4:16:11 PM10/29/18
to qui...@hoole.biz, marky.r...@gmail.com, kuberne...@googlegroups.com
+1 to “WG What Are We Releasing And Why And How Is It Best Integrated, Validated, And Supported”.

This is also closely related to discussions sig-arch has been starting to have around stability, quality, consistency, and compatibility of our existing releases.

Jordan

Nick Young

Oct 29, 2018, 11:34:05 PM10/29/18
to kuberne...@googlegroups.com

Clayton Coleman

Oct 29, 2018, 11:44:44 PM10/29/18
to Jordan Liggitt, qui...@hoole.biz, marky.r...@gmail.com, kuberne...@googlegroups.com
+1 - we owe it to ourselves to have this discussion.

Timothy Pepper

Nov 6, 2018, 8:35:53 PM11/6/18
to Clayton Coleman, Jordan Liggitt, qui...@hoole.biz, marky.r...@gmail.com, kuberne...@googlegroups.com

FYI all:

https://github.com/kubernetes/community/pull/2911

WG creation PR

--

Tim Pepper

Orchestration & Containers Lead

VMware Open Source Technology Center

Timothy Pepper

Nov 26, 2018, 10:50:59 PM11/26/18
to kuberne...@googlegroups.com, kubernet...@googlegroups.com

FYI we are in fact working on formally setting up a WG.

Slack:                                     #wg-lts

Group:                                  kubernet...@googlegroups.com

Meetings:                            biweekly Tuesday 9am Pacific (alternating weeks with SIG Cluster Lifecycle; will be adding one additional time for better global participation)

YouTube Playlist:              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL69nYSiGNLP13_zDqYfUjfLZ2Lu9a3pv-

k/community PR #2911 against sigs list

https://github.com/kubernetes/community/pull/2911

includes a draft charter.

Feedback and participation is VERY WELCOME!

From: <kuberne...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Timothy Pepper <tpe...@vmware.com>

Date: Monday, October 15, 2018 at 12:09 PM
To: "kuberne...@googlegroups.com" <kuberne...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: Dhawal Yogesh Bhanushali <dbhan...@vmware.com>